Thread: I finally had fun!

Chats: 0

Default I finally had fun!

I normally don't bowl on any leagues at work. I've covered why enough times in the past. Tonight I happen to get off work at the time of a league starting up for the season. They asked me if I'd bowl with them. My son was working until close so I said "What the hell why not?!" Sadly I bowled absolutely horrible. Like the worst I've bowled in years.

It didn't help that each turn was like 10 minutes apart. Yeah that type of league. As the third game was ending a guy came up to me who I didn't know and said "9 pin no tap 1 game $10". I was like "Umm okay, I'm in". I handed him the money.

I moved to a different pair than I was on for league, there was no practice. I kid you not, none of the 8 people including myself came close to the head pin for the first 2 frames. Everyone left 8 counts or less with the head pin standing. For the next 2 frames, still nobody got 9 count or higher. Finally in the 5th one guy got a 9X. I not only got 8 or less the first 5 frames but chopped every spare. We were all humiliated and frustrated.

I decided, okay nothing is working and all I need is 9 so I'm going hard and straight at the head pin. 22 MPH with a Jackal should get at least a 9 count. Nope, I pulled it so that failed but I picked up my spare. I decided, it was time by to quit farting around with reactive stuff and I grabbed my purple Hammer. I just went down and in straighter is greater with the 7 board and Boom! I threw 3 in a row actual buried strikes. Next ball ringing 10 pin, good enough, still a strike. Then a XX8 in the tenth.

I came back from dead last to winning by 9 with a pitiful 187 in a 9 pin no tap! That was literally the worst no tap I ever bowled in with the lowest scores across the board I've ever seen. My scores were completely embarrassing to me but you know what? I walked out of there $70 richer with a 187! LOL

Well not $70, I did buy a round of drinks for them, I'm not a jerk. They all asked if I would bowl with them again next time. Hilarious if you ask me. We had a great time though. It was nice to get out there and compete again even though it was a bunch of BS. It was ridiculous that everyone sucked so bad including myself. What made it fun for me is that it literally came down to me in the 10th frame. I've missed that kind of stuff do bad!

I guess I got so used to bowling alone or with my son where I was used to that fast pace where I break a sweat. Bowling at a glacial pace really screwed with me. I look forward to bowling with them again next time. It was a nice end to my evening for a change. I spent hours unwrapping, labeling and putting away 200 pairs of new house shoes all day. Amongst other things.

The worst conditions for me are dry lanes. I've experienced what you were bowling on. I ought to use my Storm Mix on that type of condition. See ya...
    Last edited by djp1080; 09-18-2021 at 03:29 PM.

The lack of oil wasn't our issue. We just oiled before the league. It was a combination of carry down and just flat out bad misses. All pretty decent bowlers and we all looked like a bunch of second year Juniors. I do mean all of us. LOL

There are plenty of articles in Bowling This Month that indicate there is essentially no carry down with reactive balls these days. I've found that if there are several urethane balls being used or house balls that they seem to cause issues for those attempting to use their comfortable play with reactive balls though. There might be some additional skid near and around the pocket area a few feet from the headpin... It seems that way for me anyway on ocasion...

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    There are plenty of articles in Bowling This Month that indicate there is essentially no carry down with reactive balls these days. I've found that if there are several urethane balls being used or house balls that they seem to cause issues for those attempting to use their comfortable play with reactive balls though. There might be some additional skid near and around the pocket area a few feet from the headpin... It seems that way for me anyway on ocasion...
    Oh no it wasn't caused by reactive balls. I think aside from myself and son there is a total of maybe 6 bowlers that own reactive balls throughout all our leagues. More own shoes than bowling balls. The majority use house balls. LOL It is what it is.