Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinda dead here

Default Kinda dead here

Do y'all think the lack of recent posts is a sign of the times, or what? Has anybody been bowling lately?

I bowled a couple times since I was last on here, but my scores have gone down rather than up. Part of the reason may be because I have been bowling with even worse bowlers than me, so there hasn't been much competition to keep me on my toes. It's pretty bad when my bad scores look good to them. I was doing so much better when I was bowling with high score holders. They made me want to improve.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post
    Do y'all think the lack of recent posts is a sign of the times, or what? Has anybody been bowling lately?

I bowled a couple times since I was last on here, but my scores have gone down rather than up. Part of the reason may be because I have been bowling with even worse bowlers than me, so there hasn't been much competition to keep me on my toes. It's pretty bad when my bad scores look good to them. I was doing so much better when I was bowling with high score holders. They made me want to improve.
    I pretty much bowl daily except for the days I work open to close. If I really wanted I suppose I could fire up a pinsetter or two after hours once I close the register and punch out. I don't seem to get that urge, after that many hours the last thing I want to do is stay longer.

My son and I often go head to head. Lately I've been on fire though so he's starting to get annoyed. LOL It's not my fault I'm barely missing any spares besides a split now and then. Earlier today I had a game I just couldn't carry any strikes the first 8. I alternated between 7 pins and 4 pins and bullseyed every one then carried the last 4. He was striking but missed two spares and I still beat him by 12 pins. He was so mad!

As for why the board is slow. I think it's primarily been the same 12 give or take people on here for the past 3 or 4 years. We've lost at least a couple who are sadly no longer with us anymore. Some people I think just come on during the fall league and take the summer off. Others just disappeared.

I hope to think that once this Covid and all the varieties of it are over with and life goes back to the actual normal we all used to enjoy, this too will pick up. Actually I have two questions of my own.

1. Do we still do the bowling ball giveaway on this site anymore? I haven't noticed any posts about it. I never won and I have more than enough bowling balls anyway but I'm just curious.

2. What happened to Amyers? I haven't seen any comments or posts from him in eons. Hopefully he's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I pretty much bowl daily except for the days I work open to close. If I really wanted I suppose I could fire up a pinsetter or two after hours once I close the register and punch out. I don't seem to get that urge, after that many hours the last thing I want to do is stay longer.

My son and I often go head to head. Lately I've been on fire though so he's starting to get annoyed. LOL It's not my fault I'm barely missing any spares besides a split now and then. Earlier today I had a game I just couldn't carry any strikes the first 8. I alternated between 7 pins and 4 pins and bullseyed every one then carried the last 4. He was striking but missed two spares and I still beat him by 12 pins. He was so mad!

As for why the board is slow. I think it's primarily been the same 12 give or take people on here for the past 3 or 4 years. We've lost at least a couple who are sadly no longer with us anymore. Some people I think just come on during the fall league and take the summer off. Others just disappeared.

I hope to think that once this Covid and all the varieties of it are over with and life goes back to the actual normal we all used to enjoy, this too will pick up. Actually I have two questions of my own.

1. Do we still do the bowling ball giveaway on this site anymore? I haven't noticed any posts about it. I never won and I have more than enough bowling balls anyway but I'm just curious.

2. What happened to Amyers? I haven't seen any comments or posts from him in eons. Hopefully he's okay.
    Glad to hear you're still in the game and doing well. That really sounds like quality family time with you and your son. You're challenging him to improve.

I was wondering the same things, actually, and also why some other members haven't been on here. I just took a break because my scores have been lousy. Maybe that's why they're taking a break, too? As to the giveaways, they stopped in March, 2020, when Covid really hit. Bowling was losing lots of business. Maybe they stopped for monitary reasons?

Just a couple guesses, but your guess is as good as mine. Another thought: maybe people aren't posting as much because there's no added incentive for posting a lot, with the giveaway gone? Just a thought.

I don't know that the giveaway is gone, I just haven't noticed it. It's not something I personally would really go out of my way to look for. As I said, I have enough bowling balls.

With my son, challenging him to improve is a must. He wants a career in bowling and not managing a bowling center like Dad. He's got a real shot at it. For me I often wonder why I'm trying so hard to get better. I'm 50 years old, it's not like I have a chance to go pro or anything. I keep buying new balls, practicing, taking videos and basically everything I can to be the best I can be but in reality for no good reason. LOL Yet I keep doing it? I haven't even renewed my USBC membership.

As for business, for the most part since the reopen we've been doing very well. Yeah we have had a few days this summer that we a flop but no more than before the shutdown. Actually less. This weekend will likely be a flop. There is a carnival on our doorstep and nowhere to park because of it. In past years the only business was late and it was just the weirdo carnies coming down to drink.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I don't know that the giveaway is gone, I just haven't noticed it. It's not something I personally would really go out of my way to look for. As I said, I have enough bowling balls.

With my son, challenging him to improve is a must. He wants a career in bowling and not managing a bowling center like Dad. He's got a real shot at it. For me I often wonder why I'm trying so hard to get better. I'm 50 years old, it's not like I have a chance to go pro or anything. I keep buying new balls, practicing, taking videos and basically everything I can to be the best I can be but in reality for no good reason. LOL Yet I keep doing it? I haven't even renewed my USBC membership.

As for business, for the most part since the reopen we've been doing very well. Yeah we have had a few days this summer that we a flop but no more than before the shutdown. Actually less. This weekend will likely be a flop. There is a carnival on our doorstep and nowhere to park because of it. In past years the only business was late and it was just the weirdo carnies coming down to drink.
    I think you’re still pushing to improve so you can keep you son working to improve. Until he gets out of high school you will probably be his biggest external motivator.
    John

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by J Daisy View Post

I think the boards always slow down in the summer. Between vacations and taking the summer off from bowling there isn’t as much to discuss.
    I think much of what Phonetech said in his reply is right. There are a few of us who contribute but we’re getting older. At least one passed away and others probably aren’t bowling as much.

Meanwhile, I keep thinking that there must some other forum where the cool kids are hanging out.🥴
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Once the season starts back up, the boards should pick up a little bit.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Ringer

Everything slows down in summer.

My homebrewing club runs about half attendance in July, August and September (our hottest months) and certain people panic (we're DYING!!!) but we all come back in October and November. That's just the way it is. Vacations, mostly.

Chats: 204

My "guesses" are (in no particular order):

- Loss of personalities from the schisms back in 2015/2016.

- Competition from other sites.

- Accelerated decline of bowling.

- No more ball-giveaway.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    My "guesses" are (in no particular order):

- Loss of personalities from the schisms back in 2015/2016.

- Competition from other sites.

- Accelerated decline of bowling.

- No more ball-giveaway.
    What schisms? You're probably right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast