Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What is going on with these lanes?

Quote Originally Posted by Cdolcejr View Post
    Found a couple of really good videos that do a good job explaining lane transition, why it happens and what to do when it happens:

Following Lane Transition

Understanding Lane Oil Changes When Bowling
    Any explanation of transition that doesn't take into account a change in topography as the oil goes away is doing bowlers a huge disservice. As the oil dries up, friction increases. As friction increases, the effect of gravity increases. Topography that is exposed as the lanes dry up can, and does have a huge effect. Have you ever seen a pair of lanes where one starts to hook more, and the other gets tighter? It happens all the time because of the newly exposed topography. If you think that oil is the only consideration, you are flirting with danger!

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Very interesting Boomer, see you never know when or where knowledge of unrelated things can prove useful. So the question I have is...

When you bake it, a miniscule amount of the plasticizer is extracted. Is that really enough to make it brittle? Or again after we still talking a drop eye dropper of water in a bathtub?
    Probably not - but repeated bakings? May not make it overly brittle, but might be enough to affect some change in the ball and its surface and, thus, its reaction.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Any explanation of transition that doesn't take into account a change in topography as the oil goes away is doing bowlers a huge disservice. As the oil dries up, friction increases. As friction increases, the effect of gravity increases. Topography that is exposed as the lanes dry up can, and does have a huge effect. Have you ever seen a pair of lanes where one starts to hook more, and the other gets tighter? It happens all the time because of the newly exposed topography. If you think that oil is the only consideration, you are flirting with danger!
    I guess that explains why the lanes seem to change drastically from warm ups to game 1. Often, I'll be locked in during warmups but by leave a big split by frame 2 or 3 of game 1 on a shot that I deemed good.

Would it be a good idea to keep a log of the lane characteristics on each pair and what the weather was like that day? I recall reading that Walter Ray keeps a notebook for each pair in the house he bowls in.

Or is that pointless considering the one takeaway here is not to have any preconceived notions, and to just to show up and play the lanes the way they need to be played on that given night?

"Or is that pointless considering the one takeaway here is not to have any preconceived notions, and to just to show up and play the lanes the way they need to be played on that given night?"

It's not pointless, as long as you use it as a guide, not a bible. Some lane characteristics hold long-term, others don"t. After a while you will discover which lane characteristics are long-lasting, and which are temporary; affected by temperature, humidity, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Probably not - but repeated bakings? May not make it overly brittle, but might be enough to affect some change in the ball and its surface and, thus, its reaction.
    I can buy that. Like anything else, if done with moderation problems will be minimized.

Blog Entries

Winter League started back up. Lanes are completely different than over the summer. No idea if it was who I was bowling with, different lane pattern, weather, topography etc.

Anyways, has anyone here ever struck on every shot on one lane for the entire night? I did this last night...didn't realize it happened until I edited my video but I don't think I've ever done that before. 17 for 17 on the right lane even w/ a ball change tossed in there. Left lane was a lot tighter and was giving me problems all night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTQbrVKohHk&t=330s

Speaking of videos, does anyone know if me recording myself during league is legal? I can't find anything in the USBC rules prohibiting it.
    Last edited by Cdolcejr; 09-16-2021 at 03:02 PM.

Nice bowling on the right lane! Often, really tough lanes result from a very similar shot where the miss room differs. Notice where you can miss on one lane and not the other. Often you'll find that you have miss room to the right on one lane, and tug room on the other.

High Roller

The other night we had a few guys playing 2 different lines on each lane. Left lane played completely different than the right
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Nice bowling on the right lane! Often, really tough lanes result from a very similar shot where the miss room differs. Notice where you can miss on one lane and not the other. Often you'll find that you have miss room to the right on one lane, and tug room on the other.
    Thanks! Yeah that's exactly what happened. I think if I squared up a little bit on the left lane, I would have been able to get to the pocket better. Instead I was missing a little right and then the ball was fighting to get back to the pocket.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    The other night we had a few guys playing 2 different lines on each lane. Left lane played completely different than the right
    I think that just happens once in a while. In my center the pairs are usually a little closer than that- maybe a 3 board difference between the lanes on average, but one end of the house hooks much more than the other end.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234