Thread: Boss vs leader

Chats: 0

Default Boss vs leader

Ever worked for one of those guys who on a daily basis says "Because I'm the boss" or "I can do whatever I want."? Unfortunately for the past several months we have.

A true boss doesn't need to remind everyone daily of his title. If he does then he's obviously not a good one. A good one people will do what they ask because they respect him as a leader, they will want to work hard for him and don't need any reminder at all of their title.

People like that just screw the dynamic of their team. It reflects in productivity, customer service, it effects the customer and ultimately effects the business. It's so sad how some people don't get that. They operate on the assumption that they are always right and find it difficult to believe otherwise. Thank God the reign of terror is about to come to an end.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Ever worked for one of those guys who on a daily basis says "Because I'm the boss" or "I can do whatever I want."? Unfortunately for the past several months we have.

A true boss doesn't need to remind everyone daily of his title. If he does then he's obviously not a good one. A good one people will do what they ask because they respect him as a leader, they will want to work hard for him and don't need any reminder at all of their title.

People like that just screw the dynamic of their team. It reflects in productivity, customer service, it effects the customer and ultimately effects the business. It's so sad how some people don't get that. They operate on the assumption that they are always right and find it difficult to believe otherwise. Thank God the reign of terror is about to come to an end.
    Had one of those in a summer job. He wasn’t my direct boss but there was one day when he decided he needed to tell me how to do one of my tasks, at least one four letter expletive in each sentence and punctuated with a finger poking me in the chest. Fortunately, he ended his explanation before I did anything stupid. I think he got fired before I went back to college.
    John

Chats: 204

"Being a leader is like being a lady. If you have to remind people you are; you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

“And any man who must say 'I am king' is no true king at all.” -George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Had one of those in a summer job. He wasn’t my direct boss but there was one day when he decided he needed to tell me how to do one of my tasks, at least one four letter expletive in each sentence and punctuated with a finger poking me in the chest. Fortunately, he ended his explanation before I did anything stupid. I think he got fired before I went back to college.
    Yikes! In today's era, poking a finger on someone's chest would surely get you fired real quick. Especially with everything being on camera. It's one thing to get in someone's face but you NEVER EVER touch someone. Again, a good leader wouldn't do either. A good leader wouldn't yell about doing something wrong. They would teach you how to do it right.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Yikes! In today's era, poking a finger on someone's chest would surely get you fired real quick. Especially with everything being on camera. It's one thing to get in someone's face but you NEVER EVER touch someone. Again, a good leader wouldn't do either. A good leader wouldn't yell about doing something wrong. They would teach you how to do it right.
    This was back in 1978. Corporal punishment was technically still legal in Connecticut public schools, though most local school boards had banned it. Many alarm systems relied wired sensors on windows and doors and were armed or disarmed with a key. No such thing as a security camera outside of a bank. You couldn’t hang a “No Pest” strip in a restaurant, but you could fog the dining room with malathion after the tables had been set with bread plates, water glasses, and silverware.
    John

I guess I'm glad I was in 2nd grade in 1978 spending my days staring at my extremely smoking hot teacher. LOL I didn't get the joy of working for a complete asshat until I was like 19. Well the first asshat in the long line of many to follow including now. Still, none of them every laid a finger on me. Any that got in my face, I got right back into theirs which never cost me my job. Ironic thing is I always outlasted then. Go figure.