Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Question for Bowlers Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Absolutely. I don't quite understand the tiered certification and the intent. Still trying to decipher all the information. But, I do know, I don't like it.
    I'm thinking that, unless a center wants to be considered for hosting a PBA event, the inspection and certification will be minimal.

Chats: 55

Just found this on the website as well...

ARLINGTON, Texas – The United States Bowling Congress (USBC) is postponing implementation of a new tiered center certification model until January 2023.

USBC is aware of the significant impact on bowling center revenue and operations because of the COVID-19 pandemic. In consideration of the disruptions, USBC reviewed the timeline for the rollout of the new tiered center certification program and decided to push back the implementation timeline by one year to allow bowling centers to focus on more immediate business needs.

Inspection of centers under the new program will not begin until Jan. 1, 2023.

Following a study of the lane certification process and analyzing data from lane inspections, USBC announced in December 2019 that it would implement a center certification program, featuring tiered levels of certification and a national staff of lane inspectors, over the next five years.

USBC also announced it would not require local associations to perform annual lane inspections as the USBC Equipment Specifications and Certifications team continues its work to fully develop the program.

USBC continues to collaborate with industry stakeholders to evaluate and build the model with details to be announced no later than the 2022 USBC Convention.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Ringer
    Chats: 0

So basically if a center wants to be able to host USBC sanctioned leagues and tournaments, they need to pay for the USBC Certification and be placed in a tier. Then they get a sticker on their door and a listing on the USBC website as a certified center.

Will companies like Bowlero, who really don't like leagues and rarely host tournaments at their centers, even bother paying to get certified?

Will smaller, independently owned centers be able to afford the inspection?

The report basically states that all centers sampled were not 100% in compliance with all USBC standards. Doesn't say much about the effectiveness of the local associations.

My biggest issue is that the USBC makes so many rules and establishes so many specifications, yet enforcing all of them efficiently is virtually impossible. Whether standards for the centers, or rules for the bowlers, enforcement becomes such a burden. I am not saying there shouldn't be rules and standards, but perhaps it is time to reevaluate the whole rule and specification book and make it more manageable. When there are rules that result in literal fights breaking out at the lanes, you know there is a problem.

League president nicely says to bowler "Hi! Just wanted to let you know that the ball you are using has a balance hole. The USBC no longer allows that in sanctioned competition and we are going to have to ask that you please stop using it until you can get that hole filled up. No big thing, but just wanted to bring it to your attention."

Bowler's immediate response "Are you $%^&ing kidding me?! Which ^&#$^& #$%^*# on the league ratted me out?! I will use whatever GD ball I want, and if you don't like it I will be glad to settle it with you outside in the parking lot right now!"

It takes 2 or 3 other bowlers to step in and defuse the situation. That kind of stuff simply shouldn't happen over something as mundane as a balance hole.
    Last edited by Ryster; 10-01-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Ringer

or mid-evening cleaning when the center leaves big gunky marks on a ball. :/

Chats: 204

@Ryster

Thats what I was kinda getting at with my rant.

I actually think there should be MORE rules...but what's the point if you can't even (or WON'T even) enforce the ones you have!??

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    or mid-evening cleaning when the center leaves big gunky marks on a ball. :/
    As far as I know, the ball cleaning rule waiver that was put in place during the pandemic is still in place which allows for isopropyl alcohol to be used during sanctioned competition to clean bowling balls. If there is gunk on the ball, and you have some isopropyl alcohol, have at it and clean your ball.

https://www.bowl.com/News/NewsDetail...id=23622334430

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    @Ryster

Thats what I was kinda getting at with my rant.

I actually think there should be MORE rules...but what's the point if you can't even (or WON'T even) enforce the ones you have!??

The thing that kills me is that the USBC does a ball motion study that shows that balance holes don't really affect ball motion that much. So they eliminate them and require bowlers to get them filled, or the ball is illegal and any scores thrown with the ball are subject to forfeiture. If the holes don't make that much of a difference, why bother changing the rule about them or making people fill them? It is a pointless rule.

They do a study that shows that no one was 100% in compliance from a lane certification perspective (which is arguably a way bigger deal than ball specs), and they delay an action program for a couple of years to address it. Then they want the bowling proprietors to foot the bill to have their lanes certified by the USBC, but they haven't yet decided the pricing schedule. So we will all be participating in sanctioned competition on potentially out-of-compliance lanes for years, but at least our bowling balls will be "legal". So it's not OK to use an "illegal" ball, but it is okay to bowl in non-compliant lanes until they figure everything out. Great plan.

Like you said, they already have 160 pages of rules and specs that they cannot keep track of. Establishing more isn't going to make a bit of difference in "growing the sport".

Chats: 204

@Ryster

It's the 200,000# elephant in the room....bowling is dead.

They know what they "need" to do...and they can't do it...because it will just either drive the final stake in bowling...or make the USBC obselete.

Tighten the rules on centers...they go non-sanctioned. Leave things as-is...the "sport" is a joke and scores are manufactured by former carnival workers that have had 45 minutes of training on running an oil machine.

Look at all the silly events that were in the Olympics this year. Ya know what ya DIDN'T see? BOWLING. That should tell ya something.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Look at all the silly events that were in the Olympics this year. Ya know what ya DIDN'T see? BOWLING. That should tell ya something.
    What other sport punishes a slightly errant 1" missed shot drastically (slightly high four-nine split), and rewards a horrible 4" missed shot with a Brooklyn strike? Bowling will never be in the Olympics, nor should it be. No other sport can be totally controlled by a playing field that is applied by one individual (oil man) using a mechanical device (oil machine) that can malfunction to the detriment of certain of the contestants.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    What other sport punishes a slightly errant 1" missed shot drastically (slightly high four-nine split), and rewards a horrible 4" missed shot with a Brooklyn strike? Bowling will never be in the Olympics, nor should it be. No other sport can be totally controlled by a playing field that is applied by one individual (oil man) using a mechanical device (oil machine) that can malfunction to the detriment of certain of the contestants.
    Makes you wonder why we keep showing up every week at league🤔

Personally I think bowling will not be an olympic sport in our lifetimes because the score is too dependent on the ball you’re throwing matching up with the lane condition. The only way it becomes a true sport is if you make everyone throw the same type of ball. Of course then the event would be completely dominated by two handers.
    John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast