Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Moving on...

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    80
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Nothing is actually anonymous online - I'm an IT guy at a college and I have to educate students about this every year, and every year some kid who knows more than I do (LOL) challenges me and . . . well, I win. (not me personally - I know people with skillz)


    LOL - COLA - I haven't actually gotten a real COLA adjustment in years.

  2. #12
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,036
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Nothing is actually anonymous online - I'm an IT guy at a college and I have to educate students about this every year, and every year some kid who knows more than I do (LOL) challenges me and . . . well, I win. (not me personally - I know people with skillz)


    LOL - COLA - I haven't actually gotten a real COLA adjustment in years.
    @boomer...I'm a Sr. Security Analyst (CISSP) with a degree in Computer Forensics...lol. But my issue happened before I learned all that stuff
    Arsenal "15# Brunswick Uppercut" "15# Brunswick Igniter" "15# Radical Squatch Pearl" "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin" "15# Hammer Black Widow Gold" "15# Brunswick Rhino Black Pearl" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 325 @ about 16 MPH at the pins* High Game: 279 - High Series: 725
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

  3. #13
    Pin Crusher Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,482
    Chats: 0

    Default

    I'm not really all that interesting or important for anyone to really bother. If they wanna waste their time and money on me then they can have at it. They will be very disappointed in their findings. LOL

  4. #14
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,036
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I'm not really all that interesting or important for anyone to really bother. If they wanna waste their time and money on me then they can have at it. They will be very disappointed in their findings. LOL
    Update on my daughter. FINRA contacted her today and they aren't done with their investigation. The social media thing was from her company.

    To add to that she owns 2 rental houses and a 4 plex. She saw 2 people at her 4 plex on her security cameras peeking into windows. She posted their pics to FB asking if anyone recognized them. There were comments that they looked like people that had stole from their property. So the actual people contacted her and said it was them and they had an attitude with her for posting their pics. She told them they were trespassing and did not have permission to be on the property. They said they did and that they had got an email from Nancy telling them to go check it out. My daughters name is not Nancy...lol. Turns out someone grabbed her pics of her property and advertised it. They then asked the prospective 'tenants' to fill out a credit app, including their SS numbers. The 'victims' then threatened to sue my daughter for defamation because of the comments someone else posted. My daughter laughed and told her good luck with that...lol.

    Sorry got off topic but still mentioning what can happen with social media
    Arsenal "15# Brunswick Uppercut" "15# Brunswick Igniter" "15# Radical Squatch Pearl" "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin" "15# Hammer Black Widow Gold" "15# Brunswick Rhino Black Pearl" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 325 @ about 16 MPH at the pins* High Game: 279 - High Series: 725
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

  5. #15
    Pin Crusher Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,482
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Update on my daughter. FINRA contacted her today and they aren't done with their investigation. The social media thing was from her company.

    To add to that she owns 2 rental houses and a 4 plex. She saw 2 people at her 4 plex on her security cameras peeking into windows. She posted their pics to FB asking if anyone recognized them. There were comments that they looked like people that had stole from their property. So the actual people contacted her and said it was them and they had an attitude with her for posting their pics. She told them they were trespassing and did not have permission to be on the property. They said they did and that they had got an email from Nancy telling them to go check it out. My daughters name is not Nancy...lol. Turns out someone grabbed her pics of her property and advertised it. They then asked the prospective 'tenants' to fill out a credit app, including their SS numbers. The 'victims' then threatened to sue my daughter for defamation because of the comments someone else posted. My daughter laughed and told her good luck with that...lol.

    Sorry got off topic but still mentioning what can happen with social media
    Thing is, again it's hear say with those people. They did admit it was them. The people who commented may not have actually recognized them and we just being toxic? Maybe they did and had an axe to grind? They also could have simply looked like someone else? Nobody really knows.

    Social media can be a great tool but it can also be toxic. One thing it is not is reliable. She could have just lost her potential best tenants ever. Yes it could be argued she advoided the worst. I guess she'll never know. That's why I go with my gut rather than this online world. If I mess up then shame on me.

  6. #16
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,036
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Thing is, again it's hear say with those people. They did admit it was them. The people who commented may not have actually recognized them and we just being toxic? Maybe they did and had an axe to grind? They also could have simply looked like someone else? Nobody really knows.

    Social media can be a great tool but it can also be toxic. One thing it is not is reliable. She could have just lost her potential best tenants ever. Yes it could be argued she advoided the worst. I guess she'll never know. That's why I go with my gut rather than this online world. If I mess up then shame on me.
    All 4 units were occupied so there was no reason for anyone to be peering into the windows so thats what got her suspicious. In the end it wasn't her being scammed but the people that thought they were responding to a legit ad and handed over their SS numbers. She said she is going to start watermarking all of her pics with her business phone number to help try to avoid this in the future
    Arsenal "15# Brunswick Uppercut" "15# Brunswick Igniter" "15# Radical Squatch Pearl" "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin" "15# Hammer Black Widow Gold" "15# Brunswick Rhino Black Pearl" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 325 @ about 16 MPH at the pins* High Game: 279 - High Series: 725
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

  7. #17
    Pin Crusher Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,482
    Chats: 0

    Default

    My first week complete. I have to say I'm very happy I made this move. The staff is extremely friendly and happy I came on board. The transition was very simple. A few minor excentricities in the methods but all and all very much the same.

    They are very pleased I was able to hit the ground running and even though I'm in training I have been able to teach them a few things as well. So far it's been a lot of fun. What I like most is there is very little down time. With a place this size it's a constant flow always moving.

    I'm enjoying the different clientele which the vast majority are serious bowlers. I'm going to learn a lot more about the game and be much more abreast regarding tournaments and other events than ever before.

    Ironically, so far every day I've had customers come up to me who recognize me from the other center. They asked if I'm working at both places. LOL I tell them that every bowling center has a "Me" there. These are all people I haven't seen in quite some time, now I know why. I find it comforting seeing people I know or that know me in a large center where I came to knowing nobody.

    The PSO which is the one I've been going to now for some time is hiring my son. Not to drill bowling balls but he's going to be in charge of handling surface changes, cleaning up, stocking and such. I see this as a wonderful opportunity for him. He's going to learn a ton about equipment which will be valuable in his quest for a bowling career. I'm very excited for him!

    Also his boss is a silver level coach and he'll get free lessons! Moving to this center is going to help my son in so many ways, and my family as a whole. Again, I'm very happy I did this! One of the best decisions I've ever made.

  8. #18
    Bowling Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,221
    Chats: 13

    Default

    The problem with this anonymity is that when your son makes it to the top of the PBA well have no idea that hes related to you.
    John

  9. #19
    Pin Crusher Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,482
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    The problem with this anonymity is that when your son makes it to the top of the PBA well have no idea that hes related to you.
    IF that should happen I'll PM you and let you in on it. Just remind me when that day comes.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    80
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •