Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: polishing a ball?

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    The other may be my eyesight issue I mentioned last week. Can't confirm that but sometimes I feel a little like maybe dizzy like I have had a few beers (I don't drink). Wondering if my astigmatism is causing that or if it even affecting my game? I have an eye dr appt in January.
    Forget all the bowling stuff. I’m not a doctor but if you’re getting dizzy like you’re drunk you may want to make actual doctors appointment. If crappy vision causes what you’re describing then I’d be acting intoxicated every time I remove my glasses. You may have something else going on.

If it is your eyes it would be caused by them being out of sync with one another. In that case if you cover one up that feeling would immediately go away. However that’s a neurological cause.

Maybe you konked your head recently? I had a guy drop a rather large heavy crescent wrench on my noggin once who was working 10ft above me and it cause my eyes to go out of whack several days later. Plus a bloody mess when it happened.

I thought nothing of it until driving home from work one night and suddenly my eyes went nuts. I couldn’t see to drive unless I covered one eye resulting in me getting lost in an area I knew well. Luckily while trying to navigate I happen across an eye doctors office I stopped at who immediately looked at me. My symptoms soon resolved themselves.

I don’t want to scare you or anything but it definitely sounds like you should get that checked out sooner than later. You may even have a simple ear infection that you don’t feel because it’s deep inside. That can effect your equilibrium too . It may also be something more serious but I’ll keep that to myself. Go get checked out and stop worrying about your bowling until you do.

High Roller

Forget I asked the question. Learned before that asking questions on here isn't a good idea but apparently forgot. Guess I'll go elsewhere for advice. Carry on

Not directed at you phoney
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I'm sorry to see your frustration. Just because we don't all blindly sign on to your current dilemma doesn't mean that we're not trying to help you. Right now it's ball surface. Okay, let me make a very public confession. Despite all of the dozens of articles that I wrote about bowling balls for BTM between 2007 and 2018, I currently use three bowling balls (plus a plastic spare ball): Brunswick Twist (Pearl), Brunswick Fanatic BTU (better than urethane - solid), and a Global 900 Burner (Pearl). The Twist and the Burner both have a 5000 surface; the Twist is 5000 over 3000, and the Burner is the box polished finish knocked down by 5000. The BTU is 3000 with a light 500 applied over the top. Now, here's my confession: I refresh the three surfaces about once a month, briefly by hand. Since my back is too bad to transport the balls home to my spinner, I haven't resurfaced them in over a year. In addition, I have never had the oil removed from any of them.

So, how am I doing? I'm bowling better than I have in years for the simple reason that I have learned to watch where others on my pair are playing, what the lane oil, and topography is dictating, how to change my speed and axis tilt and rotation to get the most out of what the lane is offering me. The bottom line is this: quit obsessing on one aspect of your bowling (currently surface), quit thinking about where you used to play vs. where you now play, and just knock down the pins. I don't mean to offend you, but you are so into the game that I really hate to see you frustrating yourself by going off on one tangent after another and avoiding the real issues. Rant over!

Thanks Boatey, I didn’t take it that way. Just calm down though. You know what, we’ve all been on here a while now. We all have completely different personalities yet we’re all friends here like it or not.

I can picture us all sitting at your summer home playing a poker game. Suddenly you’d start singing “99 bottles of wine on the wall.” Bowl would stop you and tell you it’s actually “99 bottles of beer”, explain where the song originated, send you a link to the Wikipedia and a video on how to sing it correctly. Aslan would be trying to decide if the bottles are import or domestic and arguing in length why one is better than the other.

I would have finished a beer and sarcastically commented how we now have a replacement for one of the broken bottles. Rob would be rolling his eyes at the three of us holding his head, wanting to smack us with a beer bottle but doesn’t. Merely says “Shut up and play poker!” Meanwhile Aslan is on the phone with Ryster who’s on a beer run but stuck at the liquor store because Aslan still can’t decide which beer to buy.

Boomer decided to just slip out and go bowl a few games instead. All the while ClassGranny was the only one paying attention to the actual card game and cleaned us all out. Unfortunately Ryster missed the game completely but when he got back he had a huge variety of both import and domestic beer.

Like I said, every one of us has different personalities and different ways of explaining things. Funny thing is, all our personalities seem to compliment one another rather than clash, but it does happen once in a while. Don’t take it personally, again we’re all friends here. We all love bowling and at the end of the day all help each other in our own way.

Sometimes we tend to focus on the small details and overthink our games. On the upside it gives us something to talk about. What good is this site without anything to discuss?

I think we could put together one hell of a bowling team! That’s if ClassyGranny loaned us some of our money back she won from us so we could pay for the lineage. Hopefully you calmed down now but please just no singing!

Ringer

LOL - I would be bowling a few games with a local craft brew in hand. . . I'm a homebrewer and know all the local craft brewers pretty well.

But yeah, that sounds pretty accurate!

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    LOL - I would be bowling a few games with a local craft brew in hand. . . I'm a homebrewer and know all the local craft brewers pretty well.

But yeah, that sounds pretty accurate!
    I don’t know you all that well Boomer, you’ve been around longer but we haven’t interacted quite as much. I was improvising so I’m glad I was somewhat accurate. I’m with you on the craft beers, that’s more my thing too. I didn’t wanna mention them though or poor Ryster would have never made it back!

Hopefully I changed the mood of the post at least. No need for everyone not to get along. Everyone likely thinks I’m nuts but that’s okay, I’ll gladly sacrifice my sanity for a worthy cause. I do it all the time.

Ringer

well, I can't sacrifice MY sanity - the kids took that a long time ago and replace it with grey hairs in my beard. LOL

Yeah - I would have had Ryster make the circuit of locals to pick up four-packs! ROFL

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I don’t know you all that well Boomer, you’ve been around longer but we haven’t interacted quite as much. I was improvising so I’m glad I was somewhat accurate. I’m with you on the craft beers, that’s more my thing too. I didn’t wanna mention them though or poor Ryster would have never made it back!

Hopefully I changed the mood of the post at least. No need for everyone not to get along. Everyone likely thinks I’m nuts but that’s okay, I’ll gladly sacrifice my sanity for a worthy cause. I do it all the time.
    I'm good. But your post did make me smile a little...lol. I just get frustrated when I ask a question and get the same answer with no answer to my question. I understand my spare shooting needs help and I'm working on that but aside from that I have recently started having issues late in the night that I hadn't experienced before so something has changed. I have had these 2 balls for well over a year and every week I could do the same thing with the same results. Now suddenly that has changed. And Rob said 'learn to adjust'. Well that's what I'm trying to do but my ball won't work inside so my question was about changing the surface. I have all of the equipment so no harm in doing a complete re-surface. And I admitted that I didn't feel that was the problem but then I get slammed for suggesting a refresh. That was where my frustration came from. Currently I have 2 holes that need fixed...spare shooting and trying to get in the oil later on. They are 2 completely separate issues. I was just wondering (more or less thinking out loud) that adding a little surface may help me with my inside lines. Since this is what most agree on (including Rob) then I though it is something I should work on but don't think I have anything in my current arsenal with the current surfaces that will work.

Either way gonna try it tonight and see how it works. Also gonna try to work on my spare shooting. My spare shooting is my priority right now cause that will help my game more than anything but throwing 7 strikes each in games 1 and 2 then 3 or 4 in game 3 doesn't help either.

Anyway, wasn't really mad per se, just frustrated that when I ask a question I don't usually get an answer to it, just 'snaps' quips back (was gonna use sarcastic there but not quite the right word).

And Rob is right about 1 thing for sure...when I want to learn something I wanna learn everything and sometimes get in too deep for my own good. So I do agree with him there. But I like to know what I'm talking about when I talk to others so like to know all the 'nerdy' stuff about it.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

You'll work it out, you try too hard not to. You are very self critical, give yourself a break now and again. Now your singing on the other hand, that's a different story! Keep it in the shower! 😜

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I think we could put together one hell of a bowling team! That’s if ClassyGranny loaned us some of our money back she won from us so we could pay for the lineage. Hopefully you calmed down now but please just no singing!
    I'm all in (pun intended) but we have to bowl at any Bowlero (I know but it's the only thing I know) AND I have 50 something free games!!!

But I do understand your frustrations with the posting. At times, I've been right there with you. In fact, I was going to post about going back to bowl after my foot surgery, and just decided against it. Will just wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Chin up and go get 'em....every bowling session is a new experience!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast