Thread: Belt marks...

Chats: 0

Default Belt marks...

Why is it that some balls are more prone to get belt marks or scuffs than others. They aren't damage, you can scrape them off with your finger nails or alcohol. Some balls get none at all.

My Jackal legacy and Hydra get covered in them but my venom shock and Hammer are clean. When I say covered I mean covered. I spent 30 minutes each cleaning them off. One would think this constantly happening had to be causing chaos to the machines after a while too.

The Jackal and Hydra are two totally different cover stocks too. Weird.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Why is it that some balls are more prone to get belt marks or scuffs than others. They aren't damage, you can scrape them off with your finger nails or alcohol. Some balls get none at all.

My Jackal legacy and Hydra get covered in them but my venom shock and Hammer are clean. When I say covered I mean covered. I spent 30 minutes each cleaning them off. One would think this constantly happening had to be causing chaos to the machines after a while too.

Off hand I would think it’s due to cover stock and maybe the texture of the ball surface. I’ve never really noticed any of my bowling balls being more prone to scuff marks than others.

What I have noticed is that 5# balls that we let the very young kids use in our bumper program are more likely to get stuck somewhere in the ball return system than the 4# ones. Aside from the weight the 5# ones are urethane while the 4s are polyester.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post

As J Anderson said it's basically due to coverstock type and the texture of the ball surface, also the return pathway how clean it is and if everything is in the proper place.

When resin balls were first coming out, a lot lanes had to have adjustments made. Because the resin balls tacky surface would drag and they'd get stuck in the ball lifts etc. plus they would rub the grime off of surfaces. Now not all balls did mind you, but enough did.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

It's not really hurting anything, just some gunk on the ball that's easily cleaned. I just thought it interesting how much different the two balls are that had the same issue.

I guess I'll see if the same happens at the new place. They are Brunswick machines so totally different ball lift equipment than AMF. I'm curious to see when I finally get out there to bowl next if I can.

Same problem in one house, Seems my sanded balls get sticky crap on them and polished doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    Same problem in one house, Seems my sanded balls get sticky crap on them and polished doesn't.
    Now that I have been bowling at my new house for a few weeks I have to say I have not yet had an issue. I’m using the same balls and there isn’t a belt mark on any of them.

The ball return mechanism works completely different on the A2’s vs the 82-70’s. I haven’t really watched the A2’s but they don’t have the long tall ball lift like the AMF machines.

I also noticed the we had different belts on the ball lifts. Some were black and some were orange. They were composed of different materials. Maybe one caused more issues than the other? I didn’t really pay much attention. I do know one has more issues returning reactive balls though.