Thread: Temporary drop in weight...

Chats: 0

Default Temporary drop in weight...

What do you guys think about having the pro shop drilling me up a 10-12lb ball to use temporarily until I'm better? Just something I can use to go through the motions and exercise the muscles and keep in form. Then I could gradually go up from there until I'm back where I should be.

We have a ton of bowling balls laying around at the center nobody cares about collecting dust. He don't even have to plug it, just drill on the backside of the ball. It wouldn't cost me anything. I wouldn't be shooting for score, just exercise.

Do you think this will be at all beneficial or would it be a mistake and I should just wait until I'm better?

I recommend that you consult with your doctor. Are you now doing some exercise like walking, stretching, etc.? There are several physical therapists that have channels on youtube making suggestions on how to overcome physical issues and break out of various issues. For example, I've been dealing with muscle knots on my upper back and I'm working my way out of them. I worked out of some pain from a bicycle fall I had several years ago after having fallen directly on my left knee. Good luck man! Get better.

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    I recommend that you consult with your doctor. Are you now doing some exercise like walking, stretching, etc.? There are several physical therapists that have channels on youtube making suggestions on how to overcome physical issues and break out of various issues. For example, I've been dealing with muscle knots on my upper back and I'm working my way out of them. I worked out of some pain from a bicycle fall I had several years ago after having fallen directly on my left knee. Good luck man! Get better.
    Doctor gave no restrictions other than not lifting over 30 lbs. Never said not to bowl. I said, rather my body said not to bowl. I do plenty of walking at work. The place is a mile long. LOL I walk the length of it dozens of times a day.

I also do stretches a few times a day and noodle around with 5 and 10 lb weights. One handed curls, over the head, behind my back and even replicate a bowling back swing.

Wait! What you can do CAN affect how long it will be until you do what you WANT to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Wait! What you can do CAN affect how long it will be until you do what you WANT to do.
    Right I get that. I mean technically I CAN bowl with my 15lb balls and get through it. I probably won't be happy later. Nobody medically is saying I shouldn't. That's why I am curious if I just drill a 10-12 lb ball for the interim? What would you do?

With the treatments I've been getting my pain level is much less. It's a minor annoyance without taking Advil. The numbness hasn't been alleviated yet and my hand/finger strength is weak. Other than that it's tolerable.

High Roller

Just my opinion and I could be wrong but I'd think with the lighter weight it may throw your timing off? If so that might make it longer to get back in time with your 15lb'rs after you are back in shape?
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I have a 48 year old teammate who just had a hip replacement (basketball injury). After 2 weeks he was back bowling, using a one step approach. During our league last week, he bowled practice this way for around 10 or 12 games! I can't help but think that he'd be better off just healing. While I know he loves to bowl, I'd hate to think that he's doing himself more harm than good by pushing it. The same goes for you. Just get better!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I have a 48 year old teammate who just had a hip replacement (basketball injury). After 2 weeks he was back bowling, using a one step approach. During our league last week, he bowled practice this way for around 10 or 12 games! I can't help but think that he'd be better off just healing. While I know he loves to bowl, I'd hate to think that he's doing himself more harm than good by pushing it. The same goes for you. Just get better!
    You're right. It just sucks. I work at one of the biggest and greatest bowling centers in the entire country and I can't freakin bowl! It's pure torture and I'm chomping at the bit!