Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's happening again...

Chats: 0

Default It's happening again...

A few weeks back when I loaded up the rental bowling shoes, after caring them down I kinda felt a twinge in my shoulder. Thought nothing of it. It was bugging me a bit but nothing that I needed to take anything for.

A couple weeks later I had to bring in all those cases of new bowling pins. It flared up a bit from that but I figured again that given what I had done I wasn't shocked.

Now it's a couple weeks later and man o man, when I lay in bed it's freaking awful! I'm popping Advil and putting anti inflammation cream on and it does squat. It only hurts now and again during the day but it's very miserable at night.

I was able to bowl with my son a few games last week okay but this seems to be very familiar to what happened last time. I have an appointment with my Ortho but it's a few weeks out, he's booked solid. It's the same shoulder as last time but in a different spot and it shoots down the opposite part of my arm as last time.

Kinda ironic that I injured myself about a few weeks before I left that place last time to go work at a different center. Deja Vu. Hopefully this isn't going to require yet another surgery. Maybe just a cortisone shot will work this time? I'm getting too old to keep getting injured and starting over.

I bowled 3 games before work yesterday. Yeah... I lost my step a bit and about 3 mph. I can tell my back swing is lower. I wanted to see if it loosened up after a game and it really didn't. The lower speed didn't hurt my game much. I shot high 190's and a 236 so not terrible.

Doc told me to try bowling to see what happens. Ortho appointment is a week a way. If I quit using it then it will likely freeze in place again. It hurts some while bowling but nothing I can't handle. Though it sucked when I went for a ten pin cross lane before I realized I should have took a slice or two of tape out of the thumb hole.

I hung in the ball and THAT did not feel pleasant. So right now I'm damned if I do damned if I don't bowl. Being at a new house of course I want to bowl more. I want to join a couple of the leagues and get into some tourneys. I'll wait patiently now until I see the Ortho

Went to orthopedic this morning and it’s bitter sweet news. The good news is, I didn’t tear anything and it’s not any mechanical issue with the shoulder joint. What it is, a nerve in my neck that goes behind the shoulder blade.

They will confirm with MRI and likely treatment will be a simple epidural injection in the nerve. So all and all that’s good news. I expect to be good to go in 3 or 4 weeks, give or take.

I admit I was really worried this time that this was going to be the end of the road. It’s funny how fragile we all really are, more so those of us 40+

I can still bowl if I choose in the interim. I did the other day and shot 3 games. I started with a pitiful 160, I sat down for 10 minutes and rubbed my shoulder then got 258 second game and 246 third game. Cross off that first game I did well. Sadly it took that long to get loose.

Since my orthopedic appointment I thought about it and if a nerve is “pinched” the something is out of place. While waiting for my MRI appointment I decided that maybe going to a chiropractor would be something to try. My orthopedic said it couldn’t hurt.

Yesterday I went to one for the first time in my life. I definitely learned a few things. First, chiropractors can be attractive… she was a real head turner! She didn’t have a great sense of humor yet she still cracked me up. WhileI was laying on the table and she was doing her thing, I really felt like I was being manipulated. I always thought that chiropractors were bad and always made things worse… I stand corrected.

Now that I’m done with the bad jokes, I will say that I think it helped. The pain isn’t gone but it’s certainly less. I have a couple more appointments before the MRI so I’ll see how it goes. I’m not ready to hit the lanes but I definitely got a better nights sleep than I have had in a while. It felt good having everything pop. It’s been years since that’s happened.

There are two doctors that I trust completely, and both deal with my back issues. Neither one is an MD. One is my chiropractor, and the other is the Chinese doctor to whom I go for acupuncture. These are the only two doctors who know my name without looking at my chart on the door.

Ringer

Chiropractors are just physical therapists. If you don't treat the underlying condition that sent you there in the first place, you will be going back to the chiropractor for regular adjustments forever...repeat business is how they make their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    Chiropractors are just physical therapists. If you don't treat the underlying condition that sent you there in the first place, you will be going back to the chiropractor for regular adjustments forever...repeat business is how they make their money.
    What sent me there is a pinched nerve. I'm not a doctor but it would suffice it to say that if it's pinched it means something had to move out of place to pinch it. Their job is to move things into place. Seemed like a logical next step.

Today was my second adjustment, I feel even better than the first. I'm in half the pain I started with. I plan on going two more times before the MRI and see what shows up. In concert with that I'm on muscle relaxers and icing my neck and shoulders a couple times a day because I have significant inflammation.

I still have a little numbness which is where I'm going to lean on the Ortho to figure out if it persists. In the meantime I'm staying off the lanes even though I'm feeling better and stronger. No need to exasperate the condition.

By the way... repeat business is where ALL doctors make money. Ask any doctor of anything, there isn't much money in treating healthy people. If nobody has nothing wrong they wouldn't do too well paying the car payment on their Beamers. I'm sure it will take a bazillion visits to the chiro to equal the cost of one MRI and 3 office visits before I get my answer.

That said, I don't think that Chiropractors are for everyone. My wife for example who's disabled would in no way benefit. She's got major problems! She's far too fragile! For minor stuff like this... getting everything lined back up where it should be isn't a bad thing. Especially since I currently have zero arthritis. I'm in those prime years for that to start, is probably better to have things out back where they belong.

Hey Rob, any chance that acupuncturist also practices Voodoo? I can send them a doll that looks like me, they can treat me and it would save me a trip.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 11-10-2021 at 02:05 PM.

High Roller

I found a chiropractor that is a one and done type guy. His theory is go once and follow his rules and if you aren't better in a few days the follow up is free. His big thing is stretching your thigh muscles. This is the 3rd chiropractor I have been to. The first 2 wanted to see me a few times a week or 6 months. This guy fixes me and I'm good until the next time I hurt it. And $39/visit. His words were something like 'if they tell you they need to see you more than once a week they are ripping you off'
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 55

I'm a firm believer in the acupuncture. Never found to much help from a chiropractor - except for "issues" out of place ribs, etc. Never on a routine basis like some of them want.

Recently, I've been going to Assisted Stretches. A place called Stretch Lab has technicians that stretch you. Those stretches are more than a person would be able to do on their own.
    It has helped my overall health, and kept that arthritic feeling at bay.

If you have the opportunity to check it out, you should.

Good luck in whatever you choose, and hope it works to your satisfaction.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    I'm a firm believer in the acupuncture. Never found to much help from a chiropractor - except for "issues" out of place ribs, etc. Never on a routine basis like some of them want.

Recently, I've been going to Assisted Stretches. A place called Stretch Lab has technicians that stretch you. Those stretches are more than a person would be able to do on their own.
    It has helped my overall health, and kept that arthritic feeling at bay.

If you have the opportunity to check it out, you should.

Good luck in whatever you choose, and hope it works to your satisfaction.
    Never heard of a stretch lab before. Stretching is always a good thing. I know my physical therapist used to push and hold my shoulder down while pulling on my arm and it felt great. She never did it long, just a minute or two but I could definitely see getting a 45 minute appointment doing nothing but things like that. Follow that up with a massage I'd be jello.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast