Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The case of the missing slot......

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    I'm 55, and have been bowling for 47 of those years. Two shoulder surgeries (and another on the way, I think. Add the elbow in there for a topper), and degenerative arthritis, and all I can do to stay in this game is to find new ways for it not to hurt. I'm not sure what a "slot" is, but I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near it. I bowl now just to stay in the game I love, and refuse to over-analyze it. Stay off the internet!
    I wasn't making a drastic change in my approach and swing. Everything is going to remain the same the only thing that I wanted to change a little was my back swing. I wanted to see if I can open my shoulders a little so on the forward swing I can get my ball closer to my body so I wouldn't be off balance as I am now. I used to open my shoulders when I was younger and into my 60s. Somewhere along the line I started to keep my shoulder line parallel to the foul line. That is when the problem started and I didn't even realize that I was doing that.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

After have a coach check out some video of me before I recently hurt myself She noticed I raise my shoulder up at my release point. Once I get healthy again this is something I will work on. It is likely the cause of my lift which I previously attributed to not bending my knee enough.

Since I can’t possibly bend it any further without splitting my pants it’s nice to find out what is going on. I’ve watched my video a hundred times and I never caught it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    In your original post, you didn't mention any strain on your back. You just talked about opening up the shoulders as a way of getting the ball closer to your body. If you need to open your shoulders to decrease pressure on your back, then by all means, try it. I hate to see long-time bowlers try to fix themselves. It usually backfires.

To answer your questions, I am 72 years old, and no, I don't intentionally open my shoulders on my back swing. I have degenerative bone disease the entire length of my spine, so my main goal when I bowl is not to hurt myself! I'm usually successful in that, and I can still, on rare occasions, bowl some decent games... though they are becoming fewer and farther between.
    I just want to say that there is no way that I can open my shoulders so that they are parallel with the gutter. I would probably pop a disc in my back. I would just adjust a little on my back swing so I don't get hurt. I got it to the point where I am closer so that I am not off balance and can post my release. I am at that age-75- where at warm up before league the first three balls I throw my body feels like it doesn't want to bend. After those first several throws my body is then okay with throwing a bowling ball.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    In your original post, you didn't mention any strain on your back. You just talked about opening up the shoulders as a way of getting the ball closer to your body. If you need to open your shoulders to decrease pressure on your back, then by all means, try it. I hate to see long-time bowlers try to fix themselves. It usually backfires.

To answer your questions, I am 72 years old, and no, I don't intentionally open my shoulders on my backswing. I have degenerative bone disease the entire length of my spine, so my main goal when I bowl is not to hurt myself! I'm usually successful in that, and I can still, on rare occasions, bowl some decent games... though they are becoming fewer and farther between.
    I am not Mr. consistency at the age I am at now in bowling which will be 75 very soon. I can bowl a game from 128 to a high of 211. Sometimes your body just doesn't want to work right with your approach and swing and release. Plus your ball just isn't working like it usually does. My speed can go from 10.5 to a high of 13. Even tough I will be 75 my body is still okay for the most part. I can make a normal approach and swing and have a good release and can post my shots. I want to bowl as long as I can.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I am not Mr. consistency at the age I am at now in bowling which will be 75 very soon. I can bowl a game from 128 to a high of 211. Sometimes your body just doesn't want to work right with your approach and swing and release. Plus your ball just isn't working like it usually does. My speed can go from 10.5 to a high of 13. Even tough I will be 75 my body is still okay for the most part. I can make a normal approach and swing and have a good release and can post my shots. I want to bowl as long as I can.
    I’m a decade behind you and I know that feeling of having the body suddenly not do what your mind intended. Still want to keep going as long as possible too.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12