Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rule "fatigue"...

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Ryster....if they don't want any officers, they should go with a "managed" league. Check it out in the rules. Could be an option. I wouldn't want to do it, but then again, I'm a fairly "by the rules" type of gal.
    Definitely something to consider. We are basically operating as a managed league now where the President and the VP work with the house to deal with the secretary and treasurer duties. We just haven't declared ourselves a managed league.

Chats: 204

We had an issue come up two weeks ago where a new bowler wanted to use a bowl with 3 holes in it but only put two fingers in the ball. The team asked us if it was a problem and we said "no". The thought process was, he's a "new bowler"...it's not a big deal. If it were an experienced bowler, I think I'd feel differently.

Well, this week, the captain of the team that team was playing against came and asked us about it because they weren't sure if they should let him bowl. One of the guys on my team was all bent out of shape about it thinking it was ridiculous that they would even consider enforcing the rule. And, he immediately went to the "effect of a hole on the ball motion, etc". I disagreed.

I mean, a new bowler isn't going to know the USBC rules. I think some discretion is called for. But, I also think it is fair to ask the new bowler to have the hole they aren't using plugged so the ball is USBC compliant. Regardless of whether you agree with a rule or think it's silly or think the USBC should look at different things...none of that matters. If you start down that path...it's a slippery slope to everyone doing what they want because they think every rule is a "suggestion".

And, more often than not...teams will "let stuff go" and regret it later. You let a bowler use an illegal ball and then that team beats you in a crucial position round and you feel cheated...even when it was your own fault. You let people use sanding pads and cleaners in between shots...and then one night you get beat by a team in a big match that is doing that and you feel cheated...even though it's your own fault.

I recall a former league having a requirement that subs bowl 21 games to qualify to participate in sweeps. I used to regularly bowl in that league but was subbing one season and had 18 games and my team wanted me to go with them to sweeps. They had a captain's meeting and everyone was fine with it. They 'thought', "why not, this guy is a high 170s average bowler so who cares? More money for the prize fund!" I ended up tieing for 1st place and won $1400. I can assure you there were many teams that will not be allowing subs with 18 games to go to sweeps ever again.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

High Roller

We had an experienced bowler (one of the higher avg guys) bowl with a balance hole. Nobody said anything and he didn't have a stellar night anyway but a few weeks later he rolled a 300 with that same ball. Then earlier this season a guy on the opposing team told him teammate that his ball wasn't legal. They asked us if it was ok cause all of his balls had a balance hole. We said it was ok but yeah it can be a slippery slope. I personally don't feel it matters since i think the effects are minimal but it is a rule and if you starting bending one rule then...well

and yeah we have the 21 game rule too. If we have a sub we try to make sure they get their 21 games in before playoffs come around. They do enforce that
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    We had an experienced bowler (one of the higher avg guys) bowl with a balance hole. Nobody said anything and he didn't have a stellar night anyway but a few weeks later he rolled a 300 with that same ball. Then earlier this season a guy on the opposing team told him teammate that his ball wasn't legal. They asked us if it was ok cause all of his balls had a balance hole. We said it was ok but yeah it can be a slippery slope. I personally don't feel it matters since i think the effects are minimal but it is a rule and if you starting bending one rule then...well

and yeah we have the 21 game rule too. If we have a sub we try to make sure they get their 21 games in before playoffs come around. They do enforce that
    That's what drives me nuts. An experienced bowler should know by now that balance holes are illegal. It went into effect in 2020 and was announced 2 years before that. Then to bowl a 300 with what is technically an illegal ball just compounds it. I bet this bowler had no qualms about submitting/reporting the score to the USBC [which highlights another problem...]

The way our league has been handling that is basically telling the bowler they can use the ball if that is all the have, but it must be plugged before the next week's league session. They are warned they will not be permitted to bowl the next week if the balance holes are still there. Technically, even that is a violation of the rule since the rule doesn't allow for any kind of grace period. It just says the ball cannot be used in sanctioned competition.

I personally couldn't care less about balance holes, but at the same time want the league to run "cleanly" without all of the bickering that results from these types of rules.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12