Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Are Scotch-Brite pads good for ball resurfacing?

  1. #1
    Pin Crusher Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,153
    Chats: 0

    Default Are Scotch-Brite pads good for ball resurfacing?

    There is all kinds of sand paper out there for sanding just about anything. What would you say are the best for bowling ball resurfacing by hand? Anyone use Scotch-Brite pads for resurfacing?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

  2. #2
    High Roller Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,725
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    There is all kinds of sand paper out there for sanding just about anything. What would you say are the best for bowling ball resurfacing by hand? Anyone use Scotch-Brite pads for resurfacing?
    Changing the surface or completely Resurfacing? When you say by hand do you mean without a spinner?

  3. #3
    Pin Crusher Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,153
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Changing the surface or completely Resurfacing? When you say by hand do you mean without a spinner?
    By hand I mean manually with no spinner. As far as changing the surface I mean making the surface either with more bite or less bite. More bite would be using anywhere from 400 grit to 800. Less bite would be using 1000 to 5000 grit. So I mean changing the surface by hand and using grits that go from 400 to 5000. So what are the good brands of sandpaper for resurfacing bowling balls? I am sure a lot of people here do their own resurfacing. So what brand seems to be the best for resurfacing?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

  4. #4
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,246
    Chats: 0

    Default

    I do my own but use CTD pads but I do have a pdf somewhere that 'compares' different surfaces and what to use and pretty sure it lists scotchbrite pads on the list. Will have to look. But it doesn't mention anything about sandpaper. I think this document was from Storm but not sure.

    As far as what to use...I think it's ok to use whatever you want as long as you are consistent with it. I think sandpaper might be a little 'rough' but can't say for sure.
    Arsenal "15# 900 Global Altered Reality" "15# Brunswick Uppercut" "15# Brunswick Igniter" "15# Hammer Raw Hammer Pearl" "15# Radical Squatch Pearl" "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin" " "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 300 @ about 16 MPH at the pins* High Game: 279 - High Series: 725. PAP: 5x0.25 up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

  5. #5
    Bowling Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,288
    Chats: 13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    By hand I mean manually with no spinner. As far as changing the surface I mean making the surface either with more bite or less bite. More bite would be using anywhere from 400 grit to 800. Less bite would be using 1000 to 5000 grit. So I mean changing the surface by hand and using grits that go from 400 to 5000. So what are the good brands of sandpaper for resurfacing bowling balls? I am sure a lot of people here do their own resurfacing. So what brand seems to be the best for resurfacing?
    For changing the surface texture on a bowling ball, Abralon, Siaair, and CTD ( Creating The Difference ) are the brands of sanding pads most often talked about. I happen to be very lazy about changing or even maintaining the surfaces of my bowling balls. I just try to figure out what the lane is letting me do and play what's in my bag. That said Abralon and Siaair have different standards so you need a chart to figure out which grit Siaair pad is equivalent to a given grit Abralon pad. Scotch-Brite goes by color so you need to know what grit the different colors correspond to. I think that Scotch-Brite pads tend to run much coarser than the others listed.
    I have also heard that Siaair pads last longer than Abralon ones.
    John

  6. #6
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,246
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Yeah I have also heard that Abralon get used up the quickest and CTD last the longest. When I do mine I do 4 sides of the ball and hit 7 passes up and down (I use a spinner). I tend to get about 3-4 uses out of a pad before they start to feel smoother across my fingertips
    Arsenal "15# 900 Global Altered Reality" "15# Brunswick Uppercut" "15# Brunswick Igniter" "15# Hammer Raw Hammer Pearl" "15# Radical Squatch Pearl" "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin" " "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 300 @ about 16 MPH at the pins* High Game: 279 - High Series: 725. PAP: 5x0.25 up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •