Thread: So many tournaments!

Chats: 0

Default So many tournaments!

At this new center I can't get over the amount of tournaments we have. It seems we have something going on nearly ever week. The popularity is impressive as is the prize funds involved. I really missed out on this aspect of bowling at the other center.

Sad part is I can't bowl in any of them this year. No established book average which is needed for most of them and of course because I can't bowl right now anyway. I'm really chomping at the bit wanting to join in on the action. Best I can hope for is to join a second half league to establish and join in next year.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    At this new center I can't get over the amount of tournaments we have. It seems we have something going on nearly ever week. The popularity is impressive as is the prize funds involved. I really missed out on this aspect of bowling at the other center.

Sad part is I can't bowl in any of them this year. No established book average which is needed for most of them and of course because I can't bowl right now anyway. I'm really chomping at the bit wanting to join in on the action. Best I can hope for is to join a second half league to establish and join in next year.
    I bowled a few school team tournaments back in the mid 80's then a father/son tournament around 2002. Then a few years ago went to my first 'real' tournament. 47' Scorpion. I had never bowled a sport pattern before but I made the cut. Cashed out for almost breakeven for the day and I was hooked. Loved it. So far have entered 2 sport shots and made the cut both times and 3 house shots at our home center and haven't made any of those...lol. I have a printout in front of me of the schedule for the Pittsburgh Bowlers Tour. Next one is 1/2 then 1/16. Probably won't make the 1/2 but gonna try to make the 1/16 one. I think I have a better grasp on the sport shots now so hoping to do better. I averaged 153.00 last time out and got the final qualifier spot (handicap helped...lol).
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I bowled a few school team tournaments back in the mid 80's then a father/son tournament around 2002. Then a few years ago went to my first 'real' tournament. 47' Scorpion. I had never bowled a sport pattern before but I made the cut. Cashed out for almost breakeven for the day and I was hooked. Loved it. So far have entered 2 sport shots and made the cut both times and 3 house shots at our home center and haven't made any of those...lol. I have a printout in front of me of the schedule for the Pittsburgh Bowlers Tour. Next one is 1/2 then 1/16. Probably won't make the 1/2 but gonna try to make the 1/16 one. I think I have a better grasp on the sport shots now so hoping to do better. I averaged 153.00 last time out and got the final qualifier spot (handicap helped...lol).
    We have a center here in the Milwaukee area that does a sport shot tournament once a week for most of the summer. Great way to keep limber, and also humiliate yourself, occasionally. All kidding aside, a lot of centers here do tournaments that no one even knows about. It's picking up as more and more of them are starting to use social media to get their word out.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    We have a center here in the Milwaukee area that does a sport shot tournament once a week for most of the summer. Great way to keep limber, and also humiliate yourself, occasionally. All kidding aside, a lot of centers here do tournaments that no one even knows about. It's picking up as more and more of them are starting to use social media to get their word out.
    These tournaments are a great way to keep people involved and bring in business. As crazy busy as this center is, they tell me that this is nothing compared to before Covid. We have some very cool things going on.

The one we started last night was a team baker tournament where you take the collective average of the team. Say between 4 people it's 200. That is the exact score they have to bowl. Each team member bowls a frame in the same game and they HAVE to bowl exactly 200. Much easier said than done.

A very cool pot we have going is called the headless strike. If your rafgle ticket number is called you bring your ball to a pair of Lanes we have set up minus the headpin. Choose your Lane and take your shot. It's insanely hard to actually throw a strike without a headpin. "Most" people shoot at it completely wrong. Let's just say they try to fit the ball between the 2 & 3 pin thinking that will work. I'm not saying they won't get lucky but it's not the way physics works.

You have to choose there proper target, go at it at the right angle and use the proper ball. A spare ball will likely fail. Again, you might get lucky but the odds are against you. It's a really cool pot and so far all it has done since I've been around is continue to roll over. Imagine how you would shoot at it, the angle, speed and ball you'd use of the headpin was missing to throw a strike. It's not as easy as you think. It's basically a split with 9 pins still standing. It's a great challenge!