Thread: eyesight question

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default eyesight question

So last night I noticed it seemed like I was having trouble focusing on the lanes. Almost seemed like when you quickly alternate blinking each eye, almost like double vision but not really? Backstory, I had about 20/70 vision growing up and wore contacts until about 2000 when I had Lasik surgery. Eyesight was 20/20 and 20/15. Now at 52 I noticed I have trouble reading so bought a cheap pair of $10 Rite Aid reading glasses but I can't see at all from about 10' or further away. Last went to the eye doctor early this year and he said I was getting a stygmatism in my left ye but that that was normal. Gonna go back in a few months but has anyone else experienced this? Seemed like my balance was a little off because of it too (and I don't drink...lol). My far sight seems pretty good but...here is a better analogy now that I think about it. It almost seemed like I was looking down the lane cross-eyed. Not blaming my horrible night on that but have noticed it a little the last few weeks but not sure if it is affecting my game though. Yeah I know the responses will be go see the eye dr but figured someone here has went through it and found a solution?
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

One thing that doesn't get better with age is eyesight. I wear Tri-focals. No line or fisheyes but 3 different prescriptions. You'll often see me tipping my head up and down when I look at things including the Lanes so I can see what looks the most clear. It's automatic now, don't realize I'm doing it. It was a trip when I first got them.

Anyway, yes your eyesight WILL effect your game and many other aspects of your life. Cheater glasses can get you by but you're better off getting the proper script. Keep up with your appointments every year. Your over 50 so yeah your eyes will get worse every year. Lasik won't correct stigmatism because I have it too. As bad as my eyes are they tell me laser surgery won't help me. Just something we have to deal with my friend.

As silly as it sounds, the best eye exams I have ever gotten were at the Walmart eye centers. They were more thorough than anyone I've ever been to. Just DON'T get the glasses there. I literally bought the most expensive frames they had (dropped almost $700) which were big name designer frames and they absolutely sucked! The lenses cracked constantly! I went through 3 pairs in six months. I finally the them away and went to ForEyes and had zero issues.

Ringer

Hi

I also had Lasik about the same time - back in 98 or 99. Changed my life!

However, Lasik isn't forever.

Needing reading glasses is about your lens getting harder so the muscles used to deform it to focus can't quite do so as well. I've been using reading glasses for about 5 years or so. You can get the "power" that you need from your eye doctor - she told me and I got them and they're just fine. BETTER with everything exact but . . . just fine.

and your eyesight will change. I went from 20/10 after surgery to about 20/30 now. (that's from 20/250 and 20/400 uncorrected PRIOR to Lasik)

I now can drive and do most everything without glasses, but I'm far better WITH them so I have a pair that I try to wear while I'm bowling or driving at night. I like prescription sunglasses but the dog ate them so . . . I'm wearing el cheapo truck-stop sunglasses right now, LOL.

The first time using glasses to bowl was trippy. I also have slight astigmatism (which is when your lens focuses a point into a line - simplistically stated - lines in certain orientations FOCUS, but in all other orientations they don't - which makes a difference in bowling where we have a lot of lines running to the pins) so going from uncorrected with astigmatism to corrected was strange at first. Now I LIKE it.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Hi

I also had Lasik about the same time - back in 98 or 99. Changed my life!

However, Lasik isn't forever.

Needing reading glasses is about your lens getting harder so the muscles used to deform it to focus can't quite do so as well. I've been using reading glasses for about 5 years or so. You can get the "power" that you need from your eye doctor - she told me and I got them and they're just fine. BETTER with everything exact but . . . just fine.

and your eyesight will change. I went from 20/10 after surgery to about 20/30 now. (that's from 20/250 and 20/400 uncorrected PRIOR to Lasik)

I now can drive and do most everything without glasses, but I'm far better WITH them so I have a pair that I try to wear while I'm bowling or driving at night. I like prescription sunglasses but the dog ate them so . . . I'm wearing el cheapo truck-stop sunglasses right now, LOL.

The first time using glasses to bowl was trippy. I also have slight astigmatism (which is when your lens focuses a point into a line - simplistically stated - lines in certain orientations FOCUS, but in all other orientations they don't - which makes a difference in bowling where we have a lot of lines running to the pins) so going from uncorrected with astigmatism to corrected was strange at first. Now I LIKE it.
    what you just said sounds familiar about the lines. it almost seems like i said, that i was cross-eyed. but now that you said that it's kind of like the lines were going at different angles depending on which eye. sort of like the 2 focal points were different, with one being closer than the other. i dunno. i'm probably not making sense but yeah...lol. i don't want to have to wear glasses full-time again but if i have to wear them bowling and it helps then i'm ok with that. but it seems like some weeks are worse than others.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

yep - that totally rings true, and makes sense as well since one eye's astigmatism is going to differ from the other's.

High Roller

So next question...my next eye dr appt is in February or soand insurance will not cover another one until then. I bought the cheater reading glasses at Rite Aid. Would they have a cheap pair that might help for my situation until I can get prescribed ones at my next appt? I have no idea what they have at Rite Aid other than the ones I bought but they suck past about 5' for me...lol
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

the cheaters are ONLY for close-up reading. They are to correct far-sightedness (the inability to see close) because they allow your eye to not need to focus quite so close. Remember, as we age, many of our lenses start to stiffen so the focusing muscles can't quite get them to focus as well - the cheaters (which will lack correction for astigmatism - that's why they're cheaters) give us that close-up focus that we can't do on our own anymore.

They will NOT work for far away - they will make things worse.

You will need the proper prescription glasses for distance.

Your insurance may not cover exam but if you're having vision problems they might? If not, an exam won't at you back much. I mean, what's an exam cost a hundred bucks? Give or take?

It would be worth it to eat that cost. Since you haven't gotten glasses in the last year (besides cheaters) then those would be covered. At least as much as they normally would be.

It's your eyes dude, you only get one pair of them per lifetime. Gotta take care of them. If you have to cough up the money then do it and don't mess around.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Your insurance may not cover exam but if you're having vision problems they might? If not, an exam won't at you back much. I mean, what's an exam cost a hundred bucks? Give or take?

It would be worth it to eat that cost. Since you haven't gotten glasses in the last year (besides cheaters) then those would be covered. At least as much as they normally would be.

It's your eyes dude, you only get one pair of them per lifetime. Gotta take care of them. If you have to cough up the money then do it and don't mess around.
    I get 1 exam per year and 1 pair of glasses every 2 years. interestingly enough 2 years ago i since me eyesight was good then i got a pair of Oakley sunglasses from him. Paid $92 for a pair of $300 sunglasses. So now have to wait until about February until my 2 years is up to get them to pay for prescriptions
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!