Thread: Without posting a long/detailed review of the UC3, I'll say this much...

Default Without posting a long/detailed review of the UC3, I'll say this much...

I really think this ball is the next step in the evolution of urethane, and if urethane tech in general is going to be like this going forward, it might have a chance at expanding beyond niche status.

Up to now, it seemed you needed a specific, narrow set of lane conditions, or a lot of speed and rev potential, in order to make urethane work. And even then it wasn't guaranteed. I just got my UC3 tonight and used it on a sport-compliant 1st-gen Kegel High Street pattern and got a look from it that I've struggled to get from traditional urethane up to this point.

For those who were fans of an older urethane pearl called the Slate Blue Gargoyle by the now-defunct Visionary, think of that ball only stronger overall, and it's close. The SBG used to be able to provide some angularity downlane without being touchy, which is exceptionally difficult for urethane, rather than being just another version of the hook-at-your-feet, exaggerated C-shape urethane. The UC3 is very similar to that. I'm surprised it clears the heads as good as it does in box surface, and when it makes a move, it doesn't want to quit.

I'd be interested in feedback from others who have tossed it already, especially in regard to whether you find it as unique as I do. I'm trying to make sort of a urethane arsenal right now and set up a couple of step-downs/step-ups from this ball. Leaning toward using a Motiv Tank Blitz above it and/or either a Storm Fever Pitch or 900 Global Infused Badger below it. For now I'm just happy I've found a urethane I can throw reasonably well.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I have seen a couple of videos of Darren Tang and Stu Williams throwing the ball and it appears to react more like reactive resin than urethane. The difference, however, being it can seemingly stay "in play" through transitions that would normally require a ball change if using reactive resin. It is definitely an interesting piece for sure.

The last urethane ball I threw was a Columbia 300 Stingray/C, which was a monster for its time. I currently have no need for urethane as the local houses don't use a house pattern that lends itself to urethane. However, the UC3 does seem like it will find a spot in a lot of tournament bowlers' bags.

I have watched a lot of videos on the UC3 and as Ryster said it looks a lot like resin. I am interested in trying one but the Helios looks like a better ball for me. I am a lower rev/speed guy and don't know which one matches me better. I may try one or both as I like roto grip. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Chats: 0

Kinda along the same lines of what I think about the new purple hammer. I think what we are seeing is a new evolution in urethane technology. It’s not like the days of old, they seem to have figured something out. I predict seeing urethane more and more in the days to come.

Quote Originally Posted by SRB57 View Post
    I have watched a lot of videos on the UC3 and as Ryster said it looks a lot like resin. I am interested in trying one but the Helios looks like a better ball for me. I am a lower rev/speed guy and don't know which one matches me better. I may try one or both as I like roto grip. Steve
    It's like resin in that it clears the heads fairly easily, but it's unlike resin in that once it starts coming back, it does so without a lot of the over/under you get from some resins the moment they see dry. The one thing I don't think it will do well with will be completely fried heads, but no urethane (save for the Slate Blue Gargoyle) has ever really been able to do that for me. On the other hand, it carries like resin, due to how continuous it is.

I'd like to buy a second one, and probably will, to shine up so that I can get a step down from the matte finish one I have now, especially when the heads get toasted.

Quote Originally Posted by JessN16 View Post
    It's like resin in that it clears the heads fairly easily, but it's unlike resin in that once it starts coming back, it does so without a lot of the over/under you get from some resins the moment they see dry. The one thing I don't think it will do well with will be completely fried heads, but no urethane (save for the Slate Blue Gargoyle) has ever really been able to do that for me. On the other hand, it carries like resin, due to how continuous it is.

I'd like to buy a second one, and probably will, to shine up so that I can get a step down from the matte finish one I have now, especially when the heads get toasted.
    That's what I noticed in the videos I watched that it did not over react. I have only thrown urethane once in a ball demo a couple of years ago and it was a hammer ball. I really liked how smooth it was. I am always on house shot in league so there is always oil in the fronts. It might be worth a try. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.