Thread: finger inserts?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default finger inserts?

i have never installed my own inserts but was thinking of replacing them in a couple of balls. considered ordering a few sets and doing them myself. any objections to this? any particular type of glue to use or to stay away from?
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller

Next question...i use the Turbo Quads using the end with the 'lift flats'. PSO kind of questioned me years ago when I requested the lifts be put up. Any reasons not to have them up? My thinking was maybe it might help with my revs? Haven't tried them in the regular way for years.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I’m pretty sure it’s merely superglue that the PSO’s use. It’s the amount you use you need to be careful of. If I remember correctly it’s just 3 small dots is all that is needed. I know there are videos out there on how to do it properly.

Lifts vs ovals is a preference thing. If you want to try them, then try them. If they help and feel good then keep them that way. If you don’t and you didn’t glue the crap out of them then you can always flip them over.

It’s best to use the grip extractor tool so you can do the least damage to them while removing them. You can buy it online if you don’t have one. When glueing, of course make sure the hole is clean of old glue or any insert material that may still be stuck in there.

Ringer

I just use Gorilla super glue. One very very small drop of glue on each side. I don't put any glue on the front or back.

I don't use any special tools to remove the old grips. Usually just a flat blade screwdriver and slowly pull the grip away from where it is glued. They are getting thrown out anyway, so if they get destroyed removing them it's doesn't matter. Any residue that remains from the old grip is carefully scraped out of the hole before inserting the new grip.

Sometimes new grips go in kind of tight, so I will use a rubber mallet to tap them in.

I use Turbo grips as well with the lift end. Not a big fan of the standard non-lift end. I usually buy the grips from my PSO as I need them, unless there is some crazy sale online and I will order several sets to have on hand.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    I just use Gorilla super glue. One very very small drop of glue on each side. I don't put any glue on the front or back.

I don't use any special tools to remove the old grips. Usually just a flat blade screwdriver and slowly pull the grip away from where it is glued. They are getting thrown out anyway, so if they get destroyed removing them it's doesn't matter. Any residue that remains from the old grip is carefully scraped out of the hole before inserting the new grip.

Sometimes new grips go in kind of tight, so I will use a rubber mallet to tap them in.

I use Turbo grips as well with the lift end. Not a big fan of the standard non-lift end. I usually buy the grips from my PSO as I need them, unless there is some crazy sale online and I will order several sets to have on hand.
    Sounds exactly how my PSO does it. Screwdriver to get them out then a triangular file type tool to scrape the insides of the hole. Tap the new ones in with a mallet if needed
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    i have never installed my own inserts but was thinking of replacing them in a couple of balls. considered ordering a few sets and doing them myself. any objections to this? any particular type of glue to use or to stay away from?
    Installing inserts is pretty simple, there's no problem doing it yourself.

Removing the insert is simple depending on the tools you have.
    I use a small blade knife, sliding the blade down between the insert and ball, run it around the insert to cut it loose. Pull it out then clean out the hole with the blade or a scraper of some type to remove glue or insert residue.

When installing:
    Loctite Gel Super Glue in the small tubes is pretty good. The tube has a tiny hole in the tip that allows you to put a very small drop in and the gel doesn't spread as much as regular super glue and doesn't set up quite as quickly., remember to use super glue sparingly.

You want to put the glue a little farther down in the hole. (It's felt that gluing close to the surface promotes cracking)

I'd only glue 3 sides (aka:3-6-9 method) (Those are the high side, finger pad side and bridge side), leaving the finger nail side unglued that way you have the option of using shims if needed later.

I glue the bridge side first, then the high side (some like to push the high side of the grip down to make it flush, But I feel pushing the high side of the grip down deforms the hole slightly.) then the pad side. Then cut it flush with a razor blade

Have a small bottle of acetone to wipe off any glue that might run out (if using a liquid glue), plus you can use a little on a rag to smooth the edge of the grip if you trim it off.

Note: Insert sizes can vary slightly from brand to brand/type to type and the way in which the insert sizes are listed differs between brands. So if you find one that fits good, you should try and stay with that brand&type.

If you find a set of grips that fit good, buy a extra set or two from the same batch. That way you have them on hand, so you can put them in yourself or have the pso put them in.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

Thanks. Likely will have my PSO check them this week and replace if he thinks they need it but will likely order some after that to do my own.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

the LESS glue the better. They should stay in mostly by friction, and the superglue can be placed with a small drop on the sides and, if you really need it, at the "bottom" - don't glue all the way around and be very sparing with it. A little goes a long way.