Thread: USBC Coaching List

Chats: 204

Question USBC Coaching List

I thought there was a USBC coaches list somewhere and I can't seem to find it on the USBC website anymore.

I'm trying to find out where the closest USBC Silver level coach is to me in the Des Moines area. My game is in dire straits right now and needs some serious help. The only professional I know of in this area is Tom Hess and:

1) I don't know if he gives lessons

2) He's very busy right now winning titles on the PBA50 and overseas.

I 'think' Don Breeden (PBA50) also coaches in the area...but I'm just wondering if there's a USBC Silver coaches list somewhere so I can see where the closest coach is. I have a 'feeling' the closest one is going to be St. Louis...but I might be wrong.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Chats: 0

USBC no longer offers the "Find a Coach" option on their website.

You could try emailing the USBC Coaching office at USBCcoaching@bowl.com and see if they can provide a list of silver coaches in Iowa.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

So, I followed Ryster's advice and emailed the USBC at the address he listed.

I was very surprised in the response I received. I'm posting it here because I think you all might be surprised as well:

"We are unable to supply that information at this time. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause."

Now, realize, this isn't an automated response. This was sent by a "senior director" at the USBC.

So...yeah. I guess, if you're a silver or gold USBC coach...you wasted quite a bit of time because the USBC no longer helps connect bowlers to coaches. And, if you're a bowler that FINALLY gives in to all the advice folks like me have preached about getting yourself some decent coaching if you're serious about getting better...scratch all that. You're on your own. Just find the least drunk guy in your league that averages close to 200 and ask him for pointers.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    So, I followed Ryster's advice and emailed the USBC at the address he listed.

I was very surprised in the response I received. I'm posting it here because I think you all might be surprised as well:

"We are unable to supply that information at this time. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause."

Now, realize, this isn't an automated response. This was sent by a "senior director" at the USBC.

So...yeah. I guess, if you're a silver or gold USBC coach...you wasted quite a bit of time because the USBC no longer helps connect bowlers to coaches. And, if you're a bowler that FINALLY gives in to all the advice folks like me have preached about getting yourself some decent coaching if you're serious about getting better...scratch all that. You're on your own. Just find the least drunk guy in your league that averages close to 200 and ask him for pointers.
    WOW! Sorry to hear that is the response they gave you. It says a lot about their commitment to the "future of the sport" and is very discouraging. Especially for those who go through the coaching courses.

At one of our local centers, all of the certified coaches have their USBC coaching certificates framed and hanging on the wall. It was interesting to see who was certified. Some of them I know I would be hesitant to take lessons from for one reason or another.

I had a family member with over 20 years of experience as a bowler who went to a certified coach. They sought out coaching because they went from averaging 200 down to 165 and couldn't get anything to work. This "certified coach" comes in, and the first thing they said was "OK, this is how you pick up your ball. Now, fingers in first, then your thumb." My family member responded that they had been bowling for over 20 years and was hoping the coach could observe them and see if there was anything they could see to help them improve. The coach responded "Like I said, this is how you should pick up your ball. Put your fingers in first, then your thumb...." They finished out the lesson and never went back....and they are still averaging 165 and now considering just quitting bowling altogether.

From what I have seen of USBC certified coaches, there are very few that are truly adept at coaching. Finding an exceptional coach is a lot more than just finding a name on a list.

As someone who has coached HS for quite a while, and finally getting my Bronze cert...you're completely right. There are too many "coaches" out there that try to push their own way of bowling onto people instead of just asking what the bowler themselves want to achieve.

The first thing I ask someone when they come for lessons is "What are you wanting to get out of these lessons?" Usually it is "I want to increase my average." or "I want to get more rev". See that's fine and all, but as a coach, it is your responsibility to help them be a bit more specific on goals.

When someone says "I want to increase my average", I ask "by how much?". Good coaches put the student first. It seems like this person wasn't intent on actually helping and wanted a quick fix.
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and ball contest winner
    What's in the bag: Radical Zing/Ebonite Choice Pearl/Track Tactix