Thread: Just how big should a thumb hole be?

Default Just how big should a thumb hole be?

So just recently, I've been starting to "hit up on it" more frequently, rather than all the early turn and muscling that I've done prior. Undoubtedly, it's a big change, and feels very different, so I know there's gonna be a lot of consistency problems until I can really get a feel.

But with that said, one thing that's been kind of overwhelming is the actual fit of the thumb hole. It just feels like I drop the ball way too frequently, preventing me from catching the release. Is this to be expected, especially emphasizing on "hitting up on it" faster with less grip and turn?

It's been a problem for a few months, and I keep mentally thinking there's something wrong with it. However, I did think of Wes Malott a little bit, because I noticed in his setup he always makes sure his thumb slides right out of the thumb hole before he starts his approach, which makes me wonder if this is to be expected.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you guys.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by BowlerGuy1500 View Post
    So just recently, I've been starting to "hit up on it" more frequently, rather than all the early turn and muscling that I've done prior. Undoubtedly, it's a big change, and feels very different, so I know there's gonna be a lot of consistency problems until I can really get a feel.

But with that said, one thing that's been kind of overwhelming is the actual fit of the thumb hole. It just feels like I drop the ball way too frequently, preventing me from catching the release. Is this to be expected, especially emphasizing on "hitting up on it" faster with less grip and turn?

It's been a problem for a few months, and I keep mentally thinking there's something wrong with it. However, I did think of Wes Malott a little bit, because I noticed in his setup he always makes sure his thumb slides right out of the thumb hole before he starts his approach, which makes me wonder if this is to be expected.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you guys.
    Well the snide answer would be to tell you to switch to two-handed like Kyle Troup or thumbless like Tom Dougherty. No thumbhole = no problems

But that's not what you asked so here goes. Thumb holes should be drilled slightly oversize since for most of us our fingers can swell and/or shrink during the course of a day. Then the fit can be made relatively snug by adding tape. How much tape, what kind of tape and how best to arrange it in the hole is part bowler preference, part trial and error. Most bowlers will start to flex their thumbs if the hole is too loose leading to blisters on the back of the knuckle.

You may want to have your ball driller check the fit as having the wrong span or the wrong pitch can also affect how the thumb comes out of the ball.
    John

Chats: 0

One thing I found to be helpful it's to have the hike drilled oval. You thumb isn't round, it's oval. Your PSO should be able to do that easily.

Chats: 0

Grrr.... Stupid auto correct..."HOLE" not "hike"! Whomever created auto correct can take a hike!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Grrr.... Stupid auto correct..."HOLE" not "hike"! Whomever created auto correct can take a hike!
    Amen!
    John

Lol, thanks for the advice!