Thread: Please explain this oil pattern

Chats: 0

Default Please explain this oil pattern

Length: 39' Volume: 28.3 Ratio 1.88/1

So if you were told this, what would you expect as far as bowling on it? How would you prepare your aresenal? I mean looking at a diagram with the oil pattern on it I can fairly understand them. Just raw numbers though... Clueless.

High Roller

Gonna start a different thread on this topic since I have a similar question. It's a sport shot we use for the tournaments I enter. You can take a look at that chart and maybe compare. Don't want to hijack your thread with it
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Length: 39' Volume: 28.3 Ratio 1.88/1

So if you were told this, what would you expect as far as bowling on it? How would you prepare your aresenal? I mean looking at a diagram with the oil pattern on it I can fairly understand them. Just raw numbers though... Clueless.
    Disclaimer: I have some experience playing sport oil patterns, but my best results are when bowling with one or two other bowlers who find a decent line that I can take advantage of.

The rule of 31 says your ball should be exiting the patter on board 8. What angle you use to get to that point depends on your axis rotation, speed, rev rate, etc. I think that since it’s sort of an average length pattern you might want to try the line you normally use on a fresh THS, bearing in mind this is pretty flat and any misses to the outside are not likely to come back.

Alternate approach, take your most aggressive ball, (lots of surface, high flare potential, solid reactive resin) and see if you can get outside of five. If that looks like a possibility use the rest of practice to try and burn a line to the outside.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Disclaimer: I have some experience playing sport oil patterns, but my best results are when bowling with one or two other bowlers who find a decent line that I can take advantage of.

The rule of 31 says your ball should be exiting the patter on board 8. What angle you use to get to that point depends on your axis rotation, speed, rev rate, etc. I think that since it’s sort of an average length pattern you might want to try the line you normally use on a fresh THS, bearing in mind this is pretty flat and any misses to the outside are not likely to come back.

Alternate approach, take your most aggressive ball, (lots of surface, high flare potential, solid reactive resin) and see if you can get outside of five. If that looks like a possibility use the rest of practice to try and burn a line to the outside.
    I don't know how you came up with all that simply by looking at the numbers. Especially how you knew there was a lot of oil in the outside? You pegged it dead on saying that.

Watching the bowlers if they got it wide it either plunked right in the channel or stayed out in no man's land. How did you figure that out?

I watched the Norm Duke videos and he explained the rule of 31 you're talking about but it went right over my head. As did the 3 point targeting. As good as that video was it wasn't explained in a way that clicked for me. I need a more simplistic explanations.

That said, looking at the lane diagram I understand the oil patterns to an extent but then again do I really? All I know best is how to lay them down on the lane. Well actually I should clarify, I know how to press the right buttons to make the oiler do it.

As J Anderson said on another thread, "lane topography trumps oil pattern every time." As I said on that same thread, "This is bowling, not rocket science." Go out in practice and find a shot. If you need to know the oil pattern, you have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    As J Anderson said on another thread, "lane topography trumps oil pattern every time." As I said on that same thread, "This is bowling, not rocket science." Go out in practice and find a shot. If you need to know the oil pattern, you have a problem.
    Thats pretty much what I do. Whatever it is... Adapt. However in the environment being around real bowlers it would be nice to learn the lingo and get educated so I can carry on an intelligent conversation.

Plus even if it's useless knowledge it's probably good for my son to know as an up and comet. As for my game, it probably won't change a thing but you never know.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I don't know how you came up with all that simply by looking at the numbers. Especially how you knew there was a lot of oil in the outside? You pegged it dead on saying that.

Watching the bowlers if they got it wide it either plunked right in the channel or stayed out in no man's land. How did you figure that out?

I watched the Norm Duke videos and he explained the rule of 31 you're talking about but it went right over my head. As did the 3 point targeting. As good as that video was it wasn't explained in a way that clicked for me. I need a more simplistic explanations.

That said, looking at the lane diagram I understand the oil patterns to an extent but then again do I really? All I know best is how to lay them down on the lane. Well actually I should clarify, I know how to press the right buttons to make the oiler do it.
    The ratio is the amount of oil applied in the center of the lane, in this case 1.88 compared to the amount applied to the outside, 1.0. By definition ‘sport’ patterns are 3 to 1 or less. Your typical house pattern is more like 8 or 10 to one.

The rule of 31 is that on a SPORT pattern when your ball reaches the end of the pattern the number of the board that it’s on should equal the length of the pattern minus 31. This does not apply to regular house patterns. Many bowlers misunderstand this rule in one of two ways, they either think that this number is the break point, or that because it’s a “ rule” it should always work and if they don’t get a strike following it, they must have put the wrong pattern down.

For three point targeting you might try finding a video by Joe Sowlinski.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    The ratio is the amount of oil applied in the center of the lane, in this case 1.88 compared to the amount applied to the outside, 1.0. By definition ‘sport’ patterns are 3 to 1 or less. Your typical house pattern is more like 8 or 10 to one.

The rule of 31 is that on a SPORT pattern when your ball reaches the end of the pattern the number of the board that it’s on should equal the length of the pattern minus 31. This does not apply to regular house patterns. Many bowlers misunderstand this rule in one of two ways, they either think that this number is the break point, or that because it’s a “ rule” it should always work and if they don’t get a strike following it, they must have put the wrong pattern down.

For three point targeting you might try finding a video by Joe Sowlinski.
    Technically would you even have to use 3 point targeting if you already know the breakpoint? I mean, it’s just a matter of what angle you hit the breakpoint then watching ball reaction and you’d adjust the angle and or speed accordingly right?

There’s no real math here. I mean there is math but no more than simple adjustments. No need to whip out a protractor and sheet a paper and writing out a formula to do it. It’s not like you have to mix exactly 45ml of chemical A and 25.3 ml of chemical B and .1 ml off is going to make the bowling alley explode and blow the lanes out to Saturn.

The breakpoint is the breakpoint if you figured out it’s the 8 board using rule 31. It’s just a matter of figuring out if you should stand straight up 8, throw it straight up 8 or stand on 35 and draw an imaginary line and say throw it across 25 to get to 8. Basically whatever gives you the best pocket angle to carry. All of which can be determined by ball reaction without the need to call in the nerds from honors trigonometry you beat up at recess to figure it out.

Technically would you even have to use 3 point targeting if you already know the breakpoint?
    Just wanted to throw out here that Joe's system doesn't just help you find a breakpoint, but actually get to it consistently. I have found it to be a good pre-shot drill for visualizing overall ball path in my head, and it helps me with my accuracy.

It's especially helpful in my case because I'm left-eye dominant while being right-handed. Lucky me. I tend to miss inside less often if I slow down and use Quiet Eye mechanics while lining up the shot.

Jess