Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luck!

Default Luck!

Frankly, I decided to post this 'cause it's caused quite a few discussions with bowlers to whom I've present it.

While seeing bowlers whine, shrug their shoulders in amazement and complain about everything bad that happens to them, it occurred to me that the only luck in bowling is good luck. Anything bad that happens to you when you're bowling has a reason; it's either something you did, or something that you failed to notice. Every ten pin has a reason. Every seven-ten split has a reason. Every solid seven has a reason, and, yes, every solid eight pin has a reason.

On the other hand, every Brooklyn strike is good luck. Every swisher strike is good luck. Every ten pin that falls when it should have stood, is good luck.

Comments?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I have to think about this one for a bit. It may take a while. And I type real slow.
    John

I firmly believe they all even out in the long run, good luck, bad luck, they eventually even out

Chats: 0

When someone leaves a pocket 7-10 they quickly forget about the good fortune they previously received. Even if it was the previous frame. Optimists are a dying breed.

Most people focus on the bad, ask any therapist. As a manager I can tell you many more customers ask to see me to complain than they ever do to tell me how wonderful things are. It's the nature of the beast.

When someone shoots a 299... "Wow, that 11 in a row was awesome!" said by nobody...EVER! LOL

Chats: 55

Rob

I tend to agree with you, yet I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how/why I leave a 7-9 on a pocket hit, as a right-hander.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

High Roller

I'd agree with that Rob. I had a teammate that complained every time he left a pocket 10 and would say 'typical ****' (name of our center). One night he left 7 10's in a row and complained after every shot. I asked him what adjustments he made and he responded by saying 'what adjustment? They were right in the pocket'. To him a pocket 10 is bad luck and no adjustment needed, even after he left 7 in a row.
    I do complain about our bad luck in the teams we face. Seems we bowl a lower average team and they bowl their best series of the year against us. We have no control over them bowling that good so to me that is bad luck. I mean we have the 5th highest scratch pin count and 6th highest handicap count yet we are in 21th of 13 teams...lol. But as far as my own game, anytime I don't strike I accept that there was a reason for it. I think there is a correlation between knowledge level and the amount of bad luck one believes they have. I see 'leisure' bowlers hit the 2 or 3 pin (missing the headpin) and complain they didn't strike. Mid level league bowlers hit the 1-3 anywhere and leave a corner pin and believe it's bad luck. The upper tier seem to understand that if you leave a pin you need to figure out why and correct it instead of not accepting your shot wasn't perfect. Maybe the placement was perfect but your ball lost too much energy and deflects leaving a corner pin. Most league bowlers just see it hit the pocket and don't see or accept anything after that.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Brian Voss wrote about this a while ago:

https://www.bowlingdigital.com/bowl/node/3075

Pin Crusher

Luck is directly related to experience. The more experience you have at anything, the luckier you get. I've been bowling close to 50 years now. I can read a condition, read a break down (except those last 2 shots on Tuesday), and make moves faster than people who've only been doing this a little while. The more you practice, the luckier you get.....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Rob

I tend to agree with you, yet I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how/why I leave a 7-9 on a pocket hit, as a right-hander.
    This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Just about the only reason that a right-hander will leave a 7-9 split on a pocket hit is because a pin (or pins) is off spot in the rack. Do you do a visual assessment of the rack each time you step up on the approach? When is the last time you re-racked during league competition? If you didn't check the rack and re-rack if need be, then it's not bad luck... it's you not doing your job to make sure that "bad luck" stays away.

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Just about the only reason that a right-hander will leave a 7-9 split on a pocket hit is because a pin (or pins) is off spot in the rack. Do you do a visual assessment of the rack each time you step up on the approach? When is the last time you re-racked during league competition? If you didn't check the rack and re-rack if need be, then it's not bad luck... it's you not doing your job to make sure that "bad luck" stays away.
    Well, yes I do check the rack - every time. And I am not opposed to re-racking as we have several lanes at one house that are really bad at off-sets. If that's the reason, then it is so minimal it isn't seen with the naked eye. Or maybe my surgery wasn't as great as I think it was.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast