Thread: Back in the saddle

Chats: 0

Default Back in the saddle

So I met my goal, I bowled 3 complete games with my normal stuff and experienced no pain whatsoever. I lost a little zip and some revs of course but I definitely see the bowling is doable again. I just have to keep it toned down some and slowly work my way up to that 100%.

I’m still doing the PT for 10 more visits. I want to get back that range of motion I once enjoyed that I lost when this all started pre-pandemic. They seem to believe it’s going to happen so I have no reason to doubt them.

I’m continuing the spinal decompression and the doctor doing it has some other therapy in mind she does. I don’t remember what it’s called. I’ll continue going to the chiropractor for a while longer as well but I’m not going nearly as often.

I’m slowing regaining sensation in my fingers but it will take time. Since I’m seeing improvement there without getting any spine injections I’ll probably get to forego that treatment. It would be nice to get through this drug free.

I guess using all these non-conventional treatments was in fact the way to go. Along with determination as my driving force and my throwing the kitchen sink at it approach it worked out this time. Not all I have to remember that even though my brain thinks my body is 20, I have to remind myself it’s really 50 and not do stupid things!

I’m extremely elated to be back on the lanes again! I get to bowl with my son again! I’m even going to finally sign back up and renew my USBC membership and see if I can jump on one of our leagues for the second half of the season. It’s been a long time since I’ve bowled on record.

It will be nice to be somebody again. I’ve just been a guy who bowled pretty good in open play and beer people got money for way too long. I’m not going to go out there to try to perform miracles. It will be nice to be a part of a team again and enjoy what this sport has to offer. Oh and establish an average so I can take part in tournament. Something many take for granted until they can’t. Wish me luck. Of course I’ll keep you posted.

Chats: 0

A couple significant differences I noticed about bowling now is as I mentioned revs and ball speed are both down. I’m at the high end of 14 mph to mid 15 on strike ball and 17 to mid 17 for spares. Looking at video, my back swing is a little lower. I’m thinking I’m not going to even worry about neither the speed or revs at this point.

The revs are going to take time to come back when I start regaining my strength. In the meantime I don't think having to go a little straighter is going to hurt anything. I have to say I can't believe how heavy the 15 lb balls feel in my hands now. It's like grabbing a cannon ball in comparison to that 12. I grabbed it and came set I was like "Oof! Jeeze!" LOL 15's always felt light to me after using 16's for so many years. Now I feel like a wimp.

I'm sure the 15's are still doable. Now that I built a rather significant size arsenal, I'm not going to drop down a pound and start all over. I haven't even worn any of them out yet. Nothing 15 is on my retirement rack yet!