Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Demo days?

  1. #1
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,369
    Chats: 0

    Default Demo days?

    So what are demo days like? Never been to one. Just heard there is one coming up here soon. What should I expect? Guessing Brunswick folks would be there? Or just the PSO? Says they are using Ultimate thumbs. Pretty sure mine are Turbo so guess they won't work? Doubt I go cause I don't need anything but...
    Arsenal "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Radical Squatch Pearl 75x5.5x30" "15# Radical Conspiracy-55x4.625x35" "15# Brunswick Kingpin-60x3.875x35" " "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 300 @ about 16 MPH at the pins* High Game: 279 - High Series: 725. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

  2. #2
    Bowling Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,341
    Chats: 13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So what are demo days like? Never been to one. Just heard there is one coming up here soon. What should I expect? Guessing Brunswick folks would be there? Or just the PSO? Says they are using Ultimate thumbs. Pretty sure mine are Turbo so guess they won't work? Doubt I go cause I don't need anything but...
    The only one Iíve gone to was part of a Next Level coaching event. I donít really know the PSO at the center where it was held so Iím not sure if he was involved at all. The guy who helped me with the balls I tried is a regional employee of Storm. At least I think thatís what he is.
    They will find a ball thatís very close to your span but the pitches will be generic. They will try to find proper size grips for you and might even tweak them with a piece of tape or two.
    John

  3. #3
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,369
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    The only one Iíve gone to was part of a Next Level coaching event. I donít really know the PSO at the center where it was held so Iím not sure if he was involved at all. The guy who helped me with the balls I tried is a regional employee of Storm. At least I think thatís what he is.
    They will find a ball thatís very close to your span but the pitches will be generic. They will try to find proper size grips for you and might even tweak them with a piece of tape or two.
    It's at our local center and my PSO actually posted it so I know he will be there. I got my PAP checked last week and wondered if there were Brunswick guys there maybe they would have some advice or comments about what I currently have. I wouldn't expect them to do it for free so I'd feel obligated to buy a ball, which I do not need. I'm not the kind of guy to take advantage of something like that for free so out of respect and thankfulness I'd buy something...lol. Just basically wondering if it might be something that might help my game.
    Arsenal "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Radical Squatch Pearl 75x5.5x30" "15# Radical Conspiracy-55x4.625x35" "15# Brunswick Kingpin-60x3.875x35" " "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 300 @ about 16 MPH at the pins* High Game: 279 - High Series: 725. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

  4. #4
    High Roller Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,820
    Chats: 0

    Default

    What's an ultimate thumb?

  5. #5
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,369
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    What's an ultimate thumb?
    It's a brand of switch grip I guess. Never heard of it before but the post said they use Ultimate thumbs and that Vice and Turbo won't work. So wondering if They will have a bunch of those drilled up in different sizes?
    Arsenal "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Radical Squatch Pearl 75x5.5x30" "15# Radical Conspiracy-55x4.625x35" "15# Brunswick Kingpin-60x3.875x35" " "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 300 @ about 16 MPH at the pins* High Game: 279 - High Series: 725. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

  6. #6
    Ringer
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southeast PA
    Posts
    467
    Chats: 0

    Default

    My PSO has been involved in numerous Storm test drives. They basically drill up balls using common/standard layouts and common spans. The holes have neutral pitches. They use snap-in interchangeable finger and thumb inserts to get you as close as possible to your normal size. The fit isn't perfect, and people have gotten blisters after throwing balls since the fit is off. There are usually balls in 14 and 15 pound weights. Very few 16 and very few 12 or 13. The balls are shipped around to different test drive events in the region. They usually give bowlers 1-2 hours of unlimited bowling to throw whatever they wish, but it can sometimes be tough to get your hands on the really popular new stuff if there are a lot of people.

    You don't need to feel obligated to buy anything. That is why it is a test drive. It gives you the chance to try different equipment and see if there is something you are interested in. If there isn't, there is no need to buy anything. If there is something you absolutely love then it might be worth. You don't buy a new car every time you test drive one, test driving a bowling ball is the same idea.

    It is surprising the event is free. There is usually a $10-$20 cover charge in events around here. The cover charge is then refunded if you buy a ball.

  7. #7
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,369
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    My PSO has been involved in numerous Storm test drives. They basically drill up balls using common/standard layouts and common spans. The holes have neutral pitches. They use snap-in interchangeable finger and thumb inserts to get you as close as possible to your normal size. The fit isn't perfect, and people have gotten blisters after throwing balls since the fit is off. There are usually balls in 14 and 15 pound weights. Very few 16 and very few 12 or 13. The balls are shipped around to different test drive events in the region. They usually give bowlers 1-2 hours of unlimited bowling to throw whatever they wish, but it can sometimes be tough to get your hands on the really popular new stuff if there are a lot of people.

    You don't need to feel obligated to buy anything. That is why it is a test drive. It gives you the chance to try different equipment and see if there is something you are interested in. If there isn't, there is no need to buy anything. If there is something you absolutely love then it might be worth. You don't buy a new car every time you test drive one, test driving a bowling ball is the same idea.

    It is surprising the event is free. There is usually a $10-$20 cover charge in events around here. The cover charge is then refunded if you buy a ball.
    Not free. $20 and I think they are limiting it to 20 people per session and there are 2 sessions.
    Arsenal "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Radical Squatch Pearl 75x5.5x30" "15# Radical Conspiracy-55x4.625x35" "15# Brunswick Kingpin-60x3.875x35" " "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 300 @ about 16 MPH at the pins* High Game: 279 - High Series: 725. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

  8. #8
    Ringer
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southeast PA
    Posts
    467
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Not free. $20 and I think they are limiting it to 20 people per session and there are 2 sessions.
    Since there is a $20 fee, that is even more of a reason not to feel compelled to buy anything since you are paying something to test drive the product.

    The events are pretty popular and usually fill up. They also tend to generate a pretty good burst of sales for the shop hosting it. My PSO would usually see 30-40 new ball orders after each event. That's kind of the point of the whole exercise...get bowlers pumped for a new ball after throwing the latest and greatest.

    I always wonder what they do with the sample balls when they are done with their test drives...recycle/crush them, donate them to junior bowlers, plug and sell as used, etc. Since they get shipped around and used by numerous bowlers they may just end up pretty beat and ultimately get discarded.

  9. #9

    Default

    The one demo day I went to (hammer, ebonite) there was a $20 fee which included 2 hours of demoing whatever ball they had plus they had bower ID which gave ball speed,rev rate,tilt rotation and pap. It was fun and well worth the $20. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

  10. #10
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,369
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SRB57 View Post
    The one demo day I went to (hammer, ebonite) there was a $20 fee which included 2 hours of demoing whatever ball they had plus they had bower ID which gave ball speed,rev rate,tilt rotation and pap. It was fun and well worth the $20. Steve
    I would definitely go if they gave out that info
    Arsenal "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Radical Squatch Pearl 75x5.5x30" "15# Radical Conspiracy-55x4.625x35" "15# Brunswick Kingpin-60x3.875x35" " "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 300 @ about 16 MPH at the pins* High Game: 279 - High Series: 725. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •