Thread: Can You Use The Same Spare Ball Forever?

Chats: 204

Default Can You Use The Same Spare Ball Forever?

I keep getting tempted to replace my spare ball...which I bought used about 8 years ago. I had it plugged and redrilled...and there's nothing wrong with it. I just wonder how long is "too long" to use the same spare ball? And, while there may be arguments to be made about my span changing slightly over time...or the constant surfacing/polishing perhaps reducing it's diameter over time....

....there's probably also arguments to be made that there really is no "technology" in a spare ball. It's just a hunk of shiny plastic. Not like there's been any huge developments in spare ball technology in the last 10 years. If there was something done in the last 10 years to make spare balls bigger (beach ball sized) or make them zero in on 10-pins....I'd have already bought em!
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I keep getting tempted to replace my spare ball...which I bought used about 8 years ago. I had it plugged and redrilled...and there's nothing wrong with it. I just wonder how long is "too long" to use the same spare ball? And, while there may be arguments to be made about my span changing slightly over time...or the constant surfacing/polishing perhaps reducing it's diameter over time....

....there's probably also arguments to be made that there really is no "technology" in a spare ball. It's just a hunk of shiny plastic. Not like there's been any huge developments in spare ball technology in the last 10 years. If there was something done in the last 10 years to make spare balls bigger (beach ball sized) or make them zero in on 10-pins....I'd have already bought em!
    Back when men threw 16# black rubber bowling balls they did last for decades. Polyester balls are prone to chipping around the finger holes. Some people say that sort of damage is repairable. Some pro shops will say it's not worth fixing, just get a new one.

A true spare ball, one with a pancake weight block, doesn’t have anything that could be improved to make it better for making spares. Some companies keep trying to market plastic balls with dynamic cores as spare balls that can also be used as strike balls on dry lanes. I guess they’re looking for bowlers who don’t want to “ waste “ a spot in their bag on a ball that only works on spares.
    John

Chats: 0

This relates to a question I have been asking myself. I have recently had to move down from a 14# ball to a 13# ball due to issues with my shoulder. The upside of this is that I have added 20 pins to my average for whatever reason - don't want to go there. However, the spare ball I have is 14# and I want to get another spare ball - do I get another 14# spare ball or do I drop down to 13#. Since I am not really using a spare ball a lot these days (I only use it for right hand spares - i.e. 10 pin or 4 - 10). I was hoping I could get those spares with my regular ball but it doesn't seem likely at this point. Any input would be appreciated.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by taxexpert2 View Post
    This relates to a question I have been asking myself. I have recently had to move down from a 14# ball to a 13# ball due to issues with my shoulder. The upside of this is that I have added 20 pins to my average for whatever reason - don't want to go there. However, the spare ball I have is 14# and I want to get another spare ball - do I get another 14# spare ball or do I drop down to 13#. Since I am not really using a spare ball a lot these days (I only use it for right hand spares - i.e. 10 pin or 4 - 10). I was hoping I could get those spares with my regular ball but it doesn't seem likely at this point. Any input would be appreciated.
    If you’re planning to get a new spare ball it should definitely be the same weight as your strike ball. Even though you only use it on a few spares each session, that extra pound adds up to a lot of extra wear and tear on your shoulder in the course of a season.
    John

High Roller

Agreed. Keep weights the same
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Yeah - I have a 16# White Dot as my spare ball and dropped everything else to 15#. It's "working" but . . . I would rather get a 15# one . . . but it still works so . . . LOL

Pin Crusher

Been using my Tank for years now. I'll only change it if I go down in weight.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739