Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: They keep on rollin'

Nice accomplishment. Plus if you had fun and learned something that is a bonus. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by SRB57 View Post
    Nice accomplishment. Plus if you had fun and learned something that is a bonus. Steve
    He definitely learned some things. Number one, he said he loved competing and that kind of atmosphere. He loved the pressure of the whole thing. He said he was the only one on his team that wasn't nervous under that pressure. He said from ball one to the end he was as focused as he's ever been. He complained about the 15 minutes of practice, he said one frame per lane was good enough enough he just wanted to get down to it. LOL

He said now that he got a taste of what this is all about that this is what he wants to do. Next thing he learned is just how good some people out there really are and he needs to step it up to compete with them. He said he knew right away when guys he was going up against were at the next level so he knew he wasn't going to beat them. However while doing so he watched them close to see what they were doing. Going against those guys didn't discourage him, it just made him focus even more.

Lastly he said that from now on in his practice sessions he's going to do more than simply put the work in. He realizes that only takes you so far. He admits practicing for score is not the way to go. Now he wants to practice with more purpose and work on things to get better. Putting in the work and bowling a ton of games is only going to get you so far.

Just about all of these are things I've been telling him from the beginning. LOL It took him to have that epiphany to realize dad wasn't talking out of his rear end and experience it for himself. That's good though. This seemed to really ignite a spark in him. He said the rest of his team doesn't have these same feelings and likely aren't continuing to bowl after high school other than maybe leagues. He said he doesn't understand their mindset. LOL

So he is now signed up for Junior Gold, it starts on 2/22. Plus he and I are bowling in a summer doubles Sport league together. It's setup where Juniors can in fact bowl with adults in that any prize money the Juniors win would be converted into scholarship money. For adults it would still be cash. Pretty awesome if you ask me. We're going to he have a blast!

I'm really looking forward to the coming weeks to see how things work out. I have high hopes that he keeps this hunger he is showing to get better and want to compete. It's certainly the right mindset to have. He's also focused on his grades in school, he knows colleges aren't going to look at anyone with a crappy GPA. He's had a steady 3.9 so far in high school even through the e-learning through Covid but he wants to step it up. That's great! At least he realizes a good average and high games aren't going to get you there alone.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

that's awesome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12