Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any of you still find bowling exciting?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    Oil pattern is everything these days. I bowl with someone who, if bowling on our typical house pattern, will shoot a guaranteed 700+. If there is just a slight difference in the pattern their series will always without fail drop to 600-630...and complain about it all night.
    Unless your bowling center changes the pattern weekly, I think that the differences that you are seeing have nothing to do with the oil pattern. Topography can make two lanes that were oiled exactly the same play totally differently. The fact that the USBC stopped using local associations to inspect and certify the lanes two years ago with a vague promise that the National Association will "take care of it" sometime after 2022 is resulting in topographic issues that are totally out of control.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Unless your bowling center changes the pattern weekly, I think that the differences that you are seeing have nothing to do with the oil pattern. Topography can make two lanes that were oiled exactly the same play totally differently. The fact that the USBC stopped using local associations to inspect and certify the lanes two years ago with a vague promise that the National Association will "take care of it" sometime after 2022 is resulting in topographic issues that are totally out of control.
    Our local association is too busy with their "inside politics" and general inefficiencies to even have time to certify lanes. They can barely distribute tournament entry forms other than to post on Facebook to go to their website for forms. We have more dedicated bowlers who aren't even on the Board going around with printed entry forms (that they print themselves at home) trying to recruit teams for association tournaments. It's kind of sad.

Our league is only 8 teams, so we cross the same lanes frequently. Recently, with end of season and position rounds, we bowled on the same pair 2 weeks in a row. The lanes played totally different one week to the next [although the same exact pinsetter/lane breakdowns occurred on the lanes both weeks.] We have been told our center uses the least expensive oil they can find at the time they reorder, and many times it isn't always the same oil. There are also times where they are finishing oiling the lanes just a few minutes before we start bowling, so the lanes don't have a chance to settle before they are used...other times they are able to oil the lanes 30-60 minutes in advance.

Several of the bowlers on our league recently bought new equipment. Most purchased very aggressive, asymmetrical solids because of the increase in oil volume being put down. For the bowlers not in a position to be able to just go buy another ball it has really impacted their scores. They are doing their best to adjust with what they have but are still struggling.

Lane topography is certainly a consideration, but there is more than that going on at our center lately.
    Last edited by Ryster; 01-18-2022 at 10:32 AM.

Chats: 204

I've definitely lost a lot of excitement for it.

I think from 2014 through 2017 I was watching my average steadily move from the high 160s to the mid-190s. I was learning everything I could about the sport and the equipment. I was getting high quality instruction on a regular basis. And, my health was good. My knee was a struggle...especially if I was practicing 10-12 games or bowling a long tournament...but other than that, I was 25-50 pounds lighter and health was above average. I also had a 6-figure income to support my bowling obsession.

From 2017 through 2022 I've watched that average drop steadily from the mid-190s to the high 170s. My income fell 49%. Even if I could afford good coaching, the quality of coaching available in this area is questionable. And, I developed an Achilles injury in my right leg that I've had to go to physical therapy to deal with...not sure if that's a temporary solution and I'll eventually need surgery or what.

Things are looking up. I got a new job I'm supposed to be starting in February that may allow me to go back to taking lessons again and being in 2 leagues per season.

But, for me...it's all about trying to get to that next level and accomplish that next goal. If I'm making progress and getting better...even if the "dream goal" of someday bowling in the PBA50 is nothing more than a punchline...I'm gonna be excited about bowling! But, if I'm getting worse or not making progress... If I've become just some 170s average bowler that on a bad night shoots a 420 series and on a good night manages to bowl a 620...then I'm not gonna be very excited about bowling and may ultimately re-assess whether I want to go back to some of the hobbies I abandoned to spend so much time bowling (tennis, hockey, taekwondo, golf, running, etc...).
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Nothing wrong with having a dream about PBA50. I had a chance when I was in TN to try to qualify, unfortunately life got in the way which has happened more than once including multiple bad decisions in the past. Don't give up, you have a much longer way to go as you're still young.

I don't know at this point what "Goals" I have for myself with bowling. Physical issues tend to keep popping up. This is why I'm primarily focused on my son. I do want to get on a league and get re-established and enjoy making and bowling with new teammates and potential friends.

Then likely just get into any tournament I can find moving forward. It's not glamorous but maybe I can just enjoy the competitive nature of it and maybe win some cash to boot?

Nonetheless, I still enjoy just throwing practice, taking and analyzing videos of myself to try to be there OCD person I am to become the best I can be.

Chats: 204

I'm not saying "for sure" that I'd drop bowling if I no longer could improve...but I would definitely re-evaluate things.

I love to bowl...but there are other activities I could be doing that provide a lot more consistent activity...where I'm not taking one shot and then sitting at a table for 10 minutes waiting for my turn to come back up. For example:

- I used to be a decent tennis player in high school. Granted, that was when dinosaurs walked the Earth long ago...but it allows me to hit a ball and get exercise and I wouldn't mind getting back into that if time allowed.

- I played ice hockey from about 1991 until about 2012. Last time I tried to play...I realized I need to really devote myself to getting back into shape and ease myself back into it if I'm gonna try and play again...I don't fall and get back up as well as I used to. But, if I wasn't bowling twice a week....there's a lot of great adult hockey in Michigan and I could get back into that. It's much more contstant activity and great workout.

- I did taekwondo from about 1992-1996...and it was great exercise and really good for flexibility. The problem is that it takes a TON of time commitment and I just never had much free time...much less enough free time if I'm bowling regularly.

- And, while paintball has lost a lot of popularity from back in the 2003-2012 timeframe when I used to play...I could see myself getting back into that as well. One thing I like about bowling is the technical side of the equipment and maintenance...but paintball allows me to do quite a bit more "tinkering" with valves and air lines and o-rings and circuit boards...all kinds of fun stuff like that.

I've kinda fallen in love with bowling...but I need to constantly be getting better and improving. If I get to a point where bowling is "just another thing to take up time and money"...then it suddenly has a LOT of competition.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

If you're dedicated and getting coaching then there is no reason you should peak and not get better. Unless somehow you become the greatest that ever lived. Keep at it

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I love to bowl...but there are other activities I could be doing that provide a lot more consistent activity...where I'm not taking one shot and then sitting at a table for 10 minutes waiting for my turn to come back up.
    This is why I prefer doubles and trios leagues. It is simply intolerable for it to take almost 3 hours to bowl 30 frames. 45 minutes actually bowling and 2 hours standing around/sitting.

High Roller

I look forward to going each week except when I'm in a slump. Oddly I seem to bowl my best when I'm not really feeling up to going. After 2 bad weeks in a row (lanes were crap and both teams bowled bad) and after struggling Sunday in the sport shot tournament, then shoveling snow 1/2 the day Monday then putting new brakes on my wifes car Monday night I was sore and didn't really feel like going last night. Then proceeded to bowl a 648 and we won all 3 games.
    But I agree with what someone said earlier. I'm going to be 53 in a few weeks and although I'm not too bad physically right now I have 2 bulging discs in my lower back, shoulder impingement, bone spurs and bursistis in my bowling shoulder. I know it's a matter of time before my game starts to go downhill. Maybe 2 years, maybe 5, maybe 20. But at that point I would have to consider giving it up. I'm extremely competitive and if I get to the point I am hurting my team and not having fun then I'd have to consider hanging it up. That's part of the reason I'm so 'obsessed' with getting my average over 200 and hopefully higher. I know my best years are behind me and I have to work extra hard to get better now.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Smile

I look forward to bowling each week.
    Previously for several years I'd bowl in two leagues. Senior league in the morning and men's league at night, both on Wednesdays.
    I always thought of it as a warm up in the morning and the real league was at night. Of course, my average and highest scores were in the morning even though I seldom feel like I'm awake in the morning sessions.
    I kind of miss bowling in the men's league, but it's nice not bowling twice in the same day. Been thinking about joining another league elsewhere, but don't look forward to a longer drive to places 15 or 20 miles farther away.
    I'm bowling a bit better this year as my spare shots have improved. Perhaps I'm not leaving lots of washouts or impossible splits.
    Look forward to improve my game each time I get out and have made some friends along the way.

Ringer

I SHOULD have not bowled last night - had just driven 1000 miles the weekend, finishing at 5:00 last night, then unloaded, pushed the beetle into the back, etc. grabbed a bite than drove in and delivered a solid TURD of a performance. . .

But no - I was excited. And who else would have run brackets for everyone?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast