Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any of you still find bowling exciting?

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    And who else would have run brackets for everyone?
    I've thought about running brackets...especially if I ended up injured and couldn't bowl...just to be in the alley and around the game. Seems like a lot of work and not much reward...but I think it enhances the league night experience for the bowlers that participate.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 184; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Card games and "high game pots" are all that people run in leagues around here. No one ever runs brackets...way too much work and hassle.

It's especially a hassle for those who don't win LOL

Ringer

Actually people are waking up to the fact that brackets give more people a chance to at least money . . . you're only bowling one person at a time and that's luck of the draw! Side pot - you have to beat EVERYBODY. Cards - complete luck. We've had FAR more excitement with my little brackets game going than cards or side pot. I'm to the point of having to limit entries (at their suggestion). They're only $2 brackets - I pocket a buck, first pays $10 and second pays $5.

It's a bit of a hassle, but it's getting a lot smoother as I get things worked out.

I have been bowling for 38 years in leagues. I still love bowling to this day and look forward to league night and practicing at least one day a week. I will be 75 very soon and my body is okay with it and I can make a swing and release and even post my shot. So my balance is still okay for an old guy. I have always been the anchor guy also. Because I am I never look at the score to see how far ahead or behind we are. It puts too much pressure on you then. I still can get high games. On one league day I bowled a 176, 201 and a 203. My average is 159. Good thing I bowled good because my partners were having trouble. My score let us take all three game and the series. I will bowl as long as I can.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Actually people are waking up to the fact that brackets give more people a chance to at least money . . . you're only bowling one person at a time and that's luck of the draw! Side pot - you have to beat EVERYBODY. Cards - complete luck. We've had FAR more excitement with my little brackets game going than cards or side pot. I'm to the point of having to limit entries (at their suggestion). They're only $2 brackets - I pocket a buck, first pays $10 and second pays $5.

It's a bit of a hassle, but it's getting a lot smoother as I get things worked out.
    That's another factor of why brackets aren't popular around here. People getting in the side games want the cost of entry to be returned 100%. They tend not to participate in activities where the person running it is keeping a certain amount for themself. The person running the brackets should get something for their trouble, I agree, but most around here don't see it that way.

We had a guy at work that ran a Super Bowl block pool every year. There was an "understanding" that the winner was to tip him some of their winnings as a thank you for running the pool. So if someone won $500 there was an expectation to give $25-$50 of it back to the guy. Some years people would do it, others not. The guy running it would get upset if he didn't get anything from the winner. The person that didn't tip him would simply say that the guy shouldn't profit from the pool. It was the craziest thing.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    That's another factor of why brackets aren't popular around here. People getting in the side games want the cost of entry to be returned 100%. They tend not to participate in activities where the person running it is keeping a certain amount for themself. The person running the brackets should get something for their trouble, I agree, but most around here don't see it that way.

We had a guy at work that ran a Super Bowl block pool every year. There was an "understanding" that the winner was to tip him some of their winnings as a thank you for running the pool. So if someone won $500 there was an expectation to give $25-$50 of it back to the guy. Some years people would do it, others not. The guy running it would get upset if he didn't get anything from the winner. The person that didn't tip him would simply say that the guy shouldn't profit from the pool. It was the craziest thing.
    I actually asked people if they'd mind - and I typically use it to enter myself which I really only do to fill a spot if needed. It also made it even - 10 and 5 when 2*8=16 . . . every single person was strongly in favor, which I didn't expect but was happy with.

and I do tend to get some tips. Not much, but some - I don't do it for the dinero. I kind of enjoy being the fun moderator! LOL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123