Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Sean Rash did more harm than good?

I think I'll root for Belmonte, too!!

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    One thing that's for sure and that is that Belmonte will be using urethane on the short pattern. Once can only hope that he bowls Rash and cleans his clock. (I never thought that I would ever root for Belmonte!)
    Don't think I can root for Belmo. Maybe Arturo or Tommy. Not familiar with Arturo but heard his story and he seems like a good guy so like to see him do good.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Don't think I can root for Belmo. Maybe Arturo or Tommy. Not familiar with Arturo but heard his story and he seems like a good guy so like to see him do good.
    I was pretty far detached from bowling at the time but I would imagine people felt similar when PDW was doing his "Who do you think you are? I am!" Basically rooting for anyone else. This guy is pretty much continuing where Pete left off.

Unfortunately conflict attracts attention and viewers. I don't think that many people were huge pro Tennis fans but people tuned in to watch McEnroe scream and tell the cheering crowd to SHUT UP! Among other things.

Heck, look at how world famous Chef Gordon Ramsay has become because he called people F'ing Donkeys. If he told them that their burnt scallops were a nice try and gave them a pat on the back his show wouldn't have made it long enough to be renewed.

Not exactly professional behavior from any of them but it does tend to breed it's popularity. Sadly I don't that's the plan Rash had in mind, he was just being a big wuss. It certainly had brought some attention to it like it or not. It even gave us something to talk about.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I was pretty far detached from bowling at the time but I would imagine people felt similar when PDW was doing his "Who do you think you are? I am!" Basically rooting for anyone else. This guy is pretty much continuing where Pete left off.

Unfortunately conflict attracts attention and viewers. I don't think that many people were huge pro Tennis fans but people tuned in to watch McEnroe scream and tell the cheering crowd to SHUT UP! Among other things.

Heck, look at how world famous Chef Gordon Ramsay has become because he called people F'ing Donkeys. If he told them that their burnt scallops were a nice try and gave them a pat on the back his show wouldn't have made it long enough to be renewed.

Not exactly professional behavior from any of them but it does tend to breed it's popularity. Sadly I don't that's the plan Rash had in mind, he was just being a big wuss. It certainly had brought some attention to it like it or not. It even gave us something to talk about.
    If Rash had thrown his final ball in the 10th, and then turned around and said to Russo "It's all you! Let's see you put that purple ball to use! Let's GO!!" then that would have been just fine and he wouldn't have been in trouble. That would have been gamesmanship.

The issue was when he specifically called out the integrity of the PBA [his employer] and then said he didn't give a s---. In the prior frame, Rash's microphone clearly picked up him saying that Russo could throw anywhere he f----ing wanted and carry. That's two conduct violations on live TV right there.

If any of us here stood up in the middle of our workplace, shouted the place had no integrity and then said we didn't give a s----, that would be our last day at the office.

It's one thing to be feisty and have some gamesmanship towards your opponent, it is a whole other level to question the integrity of your employer while you are at work.

Ringer

From what I heard from my PBA pro-shop guy, that purple hammer is a specific pour of the ball and comes out legal but soon after it's drilled and used much, it softens to where it's no longer legal but since PBA and USBC are not doing spot checks, and even if they were their portable instrumentation isn't accurate enough (which I have my doubts about having used durometers in the past, but . . . ) those balls are called legal and then deemed to continue to be legal even though it's an open secret that they are definitely not.

Was he appropriate? No. There are classy ways to call it out.
    Should he have talked to whomever? From what I've heard - already done and deaf ear turned. His complaint (and it's not an uncommon one) is well known.
    Should he have gamed it up? Why not? LOL - sarcasm and as Ryster said - heck yes. That would have been classy and gamesy.
    Was his punishment appropriate? Well, he's a big draw so to drop him out would be to threaten that draw and might not be a good business call. The league knows how much they need a bad boy (i.e. PDW) - I have never liked PDW but BOY did he draw fans. So - fine him, do a bit of punishment, and walk the line.

Now, PBA/USBC/whomever . . . you've given the stick. Now fix the problem.

If my pro-shop guy is correct (and I haven't known him that long so I don't have a big read on him, but this does fit with what I've observed over the years of ABC/USBC/WIBC/PBA/etc.) and they're not checking equipment . . . CHECK the equipment, especially the stuff that's an open secret of being MARGINALLY legal at absolute best. If you have a rule that's not enforced, then it's not a rule. So enforce it. If your instrumentation isn't good enough - FIX IT. I used to have a small dial durometer (0 scale) that I used to check closed-cell foam. You check multiple places and average - in the case of the Purple Hammer - you check the ball track in multiple areas and average (because who cares about the durometer of your PAP - never touches the lane) - period. Just friggin do it.

Ringer

Just heard that the PBA recently passed a requirement that urethane balls will have to have their hardness checked at events, but only for the finals. No hardness checks for the qualifying rounds. What is the point of that? Makes no sense.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I met Sean Rash a few years back and he seemed like a pretty nice guy. Of course I met him at a Brunswick mini camp so in way he was being paid to be nice to us. I had thought that since then he has been acting in a more adult manner the past few years. Having finally gotten around to watching Sunday’s show I see I may have been wrong.
    John

High Roller

I had heard the same thing about the Hammer softening after some use. No idea if it is accurate or much of an advantage but had heard it before
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I met Sean Rash a few years back and he seemed like a pretty nice guy. Of course I met him at a Brunswick mini camp so in way he was being paid to be nice to us. I had thought that since then he has been acting in a more adult manner the past few years. Having finally gotten around to watching Sunday’s show I see I may have been wrong.
    I'll second this. I bowled with him at a Pro Am in Cali and he was really nice. My daughter thought he was gorgeous.

"That being said"...even though I've rooted for him over Belmonte in previous incidents...it's clear when you meet Sean that he thinks he's God's gift and gets very upset when it's shown not to be the case. Thats not uncommon with athletes that have a great deal of talent and never learned to lose gracefully...but Sean...even when he's on his best behavior...rubs you as a spoiled teenager.

He's one of my favorite younger bowlers only because I love the way he throws the ball. I think it's a perfect medium between a Marshall Kent and a Chris Barnes.

Do I agree with his rant? Well, I still complain about Motiv cheating...so I usually am a stickler for equipment integrity. But, in this case...they had to push on with the tournament...the equipment wasn't working to test the balls...they made the call. It's just the way it is. Maybe in the future, bowlers should be able to opt out and get their entry fees back if something like that happens...but Sean doesn't pay his entry fees anyway...so big whoop.

Was his punishment too harsh? Honestly, I barely caught what he got punished for. I had to watch it twice. Seemed like Sean just being Sean. It DOES bother me when some bowlers get the book thrown at them and other bowlers with the initials PDW can, have, and will do FAR worse on a regular basis and are considered "untouchable". Would Weber have gotten the same punishment? Would Belmo have? Would Troup have? The PBA tends to go a little lighter on their "marquee names"....until your name isn't as marquee anymore.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Default Rash outburst

I'll be the first to admit, I do not like Sean Rash - had a few juniors meet him in person and he was pretty rude to them. That being said, after listening to the Beef and Barnzy show and some of the other knowledge/commentary from some other people I know I'm more on his side than I thought I would be. There are a few things:

• First, this was and has been a known issue for a while. So much so that the PBA stated that they were going to test all balls in these finals (and that bowlers needed to bring any equipment they used in qualifiers for testing). From what is out there all three bowlers had equipment that apparently failed these tests but due to the calibration concern was not thrown out - the 3/3 comment was that Jones, Fach, and Russo all had equipment that failed.
    • Second, it is a mind game - Stu Williams calls out Duke for requesting tape change breaks and then changes tape in equipment he isn't even using, PBW goes on rants about fans that don't even exist (Fagan's comments), Belmonte intentionally putting his towel on PBW's equipment to **** him off - the lists goes on and on. Rash is doing the same thing, his delivery just sucks compared to it.
    • Lastly, yes it would be nice if all equipment was tested before the qualifiers - but with how much equipment goes through those locations 64 entries * 12 balls = 768 with more in the car, some drilled the morning/day of it is a huge ask to get done that morning.

It is easy to hate on Rash, and even after agreeing with this stance on this I still rooted against him this weekend. He is blunt and it rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but if you don't think he has already had multiple conversations about this issue (he is on the players committee) you are delusional. I don't have a problem with urethane, two handed bowling, any of these changes if they are within the rules - but when the enforcing body is saying they are going to do something and then show a level of incompetence in which they can't get equipment to work to enforce it what should the bowler do (it wasn't as though this location was randomly selected with no notice)? There are more comments on these boards about how we need standardized conditions, equipment is making the game too easy, close your eyes and strike - yet someone comes out and on the best platform they have and says something about it and we all jump on them and say they should be suspended for a year, lose a title. His delivery sucked, but honestly if it wasn't that aggressive we wouldn't be talking about it. Also, we bowl - we have all heard the things he said - and if anyone here can tell me they haven't complained about someone you are bowling against having the world for area you are lying, the difference is we are complaining about it for 2 points in a mom and pop league, he is complaining about it as it affects his living.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast