Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Sean Rash did more harm than good?

Chats: 0

Default Do you think Sean Rash did more harm than good?

Given his out burst the other day I'm getting the feeling that all he accomplished is making more people want urethane. Not only that but turning a good ball in the purple Hammer into an iconic legendary ball. Sales for it are going to skyrocket.

I predict you're going to see a LOT more purple hammers on the ball returns than ever. On both sport and THS. Probably a lot of fights too!

What are your thoughts? Discussion...

Regarding specific bowlers I didn't much care for Chris Barnes many years ago. He appeared to be a stuffed shirt. In the later years of his career he doesn't come off that way to me anymore. His style hasn't changed and he's as competitive as ever. Watching him on his YouTube channel with Stuart Williams is usually a pretty good show. They work with each other quite well.
    As for Sean Rash never much cared for him earlier or now. Also, I've heard several fellows who've seen him or have bowled against him at Parkside and none of them had anything good to say about him. He has poor demeanor on his good days and he thinks very highly of himself as it shows. His recent activities on TV don't help him one bit. Will it help urethane balls? I kind of doubt it as the rules for hardness of the coverstocks on balls will be changing soon and one of the first to go will be the purple Hammer IMHO.

Good point, I didn't think about a rule change.

Years ago, Sean Rash routinely acted like an A**. He still does! Personally, I think he should have been suspended for the entire season, and stripped of the title that he won when he went off before the newly threw his shot in the 10th frame. I don't think his actions will have any effect on how many urethane balls are thrown. If the PBA allows two-handers, they are certainly not going to ban urethane. Besides, they are too busy worrying about wrist braces that no-one uses in national competition (other than a few women, who the PBA are clearly trying to keep from competing).

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Years ago, Sean Rash routinely acted like an A**. He still does! Personally, I think he should have been suspended for the entire season, and stripped of the title that he won when he went off before the newly threw his shot in the 10th frame. I don't think his actions will have any effect on how many urethane balls are thrown. If the PBA allows two-handers, they are certainly not going to ban urethane. Besides, they are too busy worrying about wrist braces that no-one uses in national competition (other than a few women, who the PBA are clearly trying to keep from competing).

His behavior was unacceptable, especially using the F word and S word. If he has an issue with urethane he should call/meet with Tom Clark personally and air his grievances. Clark would either take it seriously and do an internal review of the issue, or simply [and most likely] tell Rash to suck it up and get back on the lanes. Clark and Rash have a 17 year relationship, so it isn't like there should be any apprehension about talking about the issue. As recently as two weeks ago, Rash threw urethane in a regional competition so it isn't like he isn't also using urethane. To use it, and then rant about it on a live telecast is crazy.

There was also some supposed behind-the-scenes drama going as well. For example, balls couldn't be tested for hardness compliance because the meter was broken. This has lead to people speculating that played in to Rash's growing frustration. There is also speculation going on that the Purple Hammers get softer the more they are used. Further leading to concerns that the balls could fall below the minimum allowed hardness. Also heard that while Tommy Jones threw the Black Widow Ghost on the telecast, he used a Purple Hammer during qualifying. Just little things like that the have added up in Rash's mind as issues.

Tomorrow is the seeding round for Saturday's Championship telecast. It would be kind of funny if everyone threw urethane.

High Roller

I don't have an issue with it in general but think it could have been handled a little different. Sports need bad guys and need those that aren't afraid to speak up. I'm a big Nascar fan and that has always driven the sport. For a few years Nascar kind of muted trhe drivers by fining them for every little thing they said and the fans didn't like it. I just think you need different personalities and some rivalry in any sport to draw fans. But I see Hammer is making the most of it. A few new adds out saying 'still USBC legal' and i forget what the other one said but it was even better. They are probably thanking Sean right now cause they will probably sell a bunch more after that.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I don't have an issue with it in general but think it could have been handled a little different. Sports need bad guys and need those that aren't afraid to speak up. I'm a big Nascar fan and that has always driven the sport. For a few years Nascar kind of muted trhe drivers by fining them for every little thing they said and the fans didn't like it. I just think you need different personalities and some rivalry in any sport to draw fans. But I see Hammer is making the most of it. A few new adds out saying 'still USBC legal' and i forget what the other one said but it was even better. They are probably thanking Sean right now cause they will probably sell a bunch more after that.
    There is a difference between being a bad guy vs. a whiny little baby. Rash is acting like a whiny little baby simply because people are using a type of legal equipment that he doesn't personally like. Mouthing off on live TV, in front of fans and sponsors and tournament hosts, is going to get you in trouble regardless of what sport you participate in. The "higher profile" you are as a player, the worse off you will end up and the more damage control you will need to do to [hopefully] recover.

Pin Crusher

Met Rash a few years back in Milwaukee. This was back when he was making a bit of a resurgence, and his behavior was pretty good. That being said, I've never heard anything good about the guy. During the West telecast, Peterson was on him, and with good reason. But, this is also the same guy that I believe last year went on his own rant on TV that he felt urethane had no business existing.

Good, bad or indifferent, it's not going away, especially not for the pros. If that's what wins them tourneys (or not, proven by Jesper and Jacob over the past 2 years), then that's what they're going to use. The average house shmuck (like me), bowling on a THS, leave that crap at home
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    There is a difference between being a bad guy vs. a whiny little baby. Rash is acting like a whiny little baby simply because people are using a type of legal equipment that he doesn't personally like. Mouthing off on live TV, in front of fans and sponsors and tournament hosts, is going to get you in trouble regardless of what sport you participate in. The "higher profile" you are as a player, the worse off you will end up and the more damage control you will need to do to [hopefully] recover.
    That's why I said I think he could have handled it better. Probably should have phrased it differently...lol...kind of like he should have. What I meant was I'm ok with him being fiery but to question the integrity of the game publicly was out of line. That's where you get into trouble (ask Kyle Busch-Nascar).
    But really, most people watch sports because of the personalities. I love all forms of motorsports but only watch ones that I'm familiar with and interested in the drivers. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for good sportsmanship but controversy brings in new fans that might not have ever considered watching it before.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

One thing that's for sure and that is that Belmonte will be using urethane on the short pattern. Once can only hope that he bowls Rash and cleans his clock. (I never thought that I would ever root for Belmonte!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast