Thread: Is 2 handed harder on the body?

Chats: 0

Default Is 2 handed harder on the body?

I see that Duke is still going strong at his age and really hasn't lost his step. I credit that to his easy, uncomplicated, simple and smooth approach. He really just goes up and throws the ball, no weird back swing, complicated foot work just very effortless. He's looks there same today as he did 30 years ago.

I look at guys like PDW who used to have that massive back swing over his head and that big cranking wrist. Now he's completely toned it all down and has simplified. Father time has caught up to him.

Now guys like Belmo. A lot of complex movements involved there, a lot of moving parts. Do you think when he hits 70 he'll be able to do what he does today? Same with any two hander. Not only can't I do it if I wanted to it just seems like there would be a lot of physical issues and limitations down the road. Since it all started with Belmo, he'd be the first one who's done it the longest when it's time for the 50+ pro tour. Do you think when he gets that far he'll have to switch to one hand or do you think he'll be able to go the distance like Duke 2 handed?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Norm is an outlier. I don’t think any other tour player has been as competitive at Norm’s age.

When Mark Roth started dominating the PBA I thought there was no way he would be able to have a long career and yet his last TV show (as a competitor) was at the age of 48. I thought the same about Belmonte and here he is still going strong.

I do think that the two handed style requires more athleticism. I don’t think that amateur two handers will be able to avoid injury unless they’re committed to overall personal fitness with particular emphasis on core strength and flexibility.
    John

Ringer

Norm Duke is also in way better physical shape than more than 80% of the younger guys on tour. He spends a lot of time in the gym and it shows. Another key to his success is his versatility. He has the ability to play multiple angles and hand releases as the shot warrants. The guy is going to be 58 years old, and last I heard is still throwing 16lb equipment [and he only weighs 130lb]. That alone is a testament to his physical conditioning.

2-handed bowlers are using the same basic "parts" in their game as 1-handed bowlers. I would guess that over the course of years and years of bowling, they will end up with the same core ailments that tend to plague bowlers.

[QUOTE=Ryster;180195

2-handed bowlers are using the same basic "parts" in their game as 1-handed bowlers. I would guess that over the course of years and years of bowling, they will end up with the same core ailments that tend to plague bowlers.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I actually agree. They bring their opposite arm around to cradle the ball and have to twist and bend a lot more than a single hand. One hand don't twist their torso, the arm just goes out for balance. The upper body (back) does a lot less work from what I see. I would think that would take a much quicker toll? I dunno I could be wrong, that's why I'm curious how long these guys can keep it up.

Ringer

I agree with you Phonetek - I've done quite a bit of watching the biomechanics of both typical one-handed and two-handed and two-handed is a lot more athletic than most one-handed, using Belmo as the prototypical two-hander.

There's a LOT more back-tilt in two-handed. This requires a lot more core strength.
    There's a LOT more body-twist in two-handed as the left hand comes back into the body to continue guiding the ball before release and then to get the left hand out and around for the release. This requires a lot more core strength.
    There's a lot LESS backswing in two-handed (just as in no-thumb) meaning more muscle (can't rely on a big backswing to generate more speed)

I've tried it, which means nothing, LOL - I'm an old guy who's been bowling one-handed since being a sophomore in HS which was back in the dark ages. Black Beauty days. Old dog, new tricks.

However, I came away with my back and core just SORE. TIRED. I think it's a young man's game (or a semi-robotic cyborg like Belmo)

Chats: 204

I've been "told" that 2-handed bowlers are likely to face significant back problems in the future.

Had they not went to 2-handed, would they have had knee injuries instead? Hard to say.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I've been "told" that 2-handed bowlers are likely to face significant back problems in the future.

Had they not went to 2-handed, would they have had knee injuries instead? Hard to say.
    Two handers can put a lot of stress on the knees too
    John