Thread: It may have begun...

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default It may have begun...

Our somewhat recently Bolwero acquired center has posted their summer league schedule. Prior to the Bowlero acquisition, our center had summer leagues every day of the week in all sorts of formats. Doubles, Trios, Mixed, etc. They also offered unlimited free open bowling for the entire summer to anyone who joined a summer league. This was a great incentive and they would literally give away, on average, 10,000 free games from May through Labor Day. The busiest night for league in the summer has traditionally been Wednesday. That is when the largest league would bowl (usually 20-30 teams on Wednesday night.)

Bowlero, on the other hand, appears to only be offering adult summer leagues on Monday nights and Sunday nights. They have senior leagues during the mornings on Monday and Tuesday. Otherwise, it appears as though they want the place free for open bowling Tuesday-Saturday. Also, no more free open bowling. They sell a pass for ~$60 that is good for May through Labor Day that entitles you to 3 free games per day per pass. The league bowler rate is $2.75 per game, which is probably a safer bet than buying the $60 pass (unless you know you will be able to get in there to open bowl several times a week.)

It is possible they may add more summer leagues leading up to the summer, but one would think they would have already listed them to recruit bowlers.

Also hearing that fall leagues for next season will look significantly different.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

My initial thought was ‘Talking about summer leagues in February? Who the heck is thinking about summer leagues when there’s snow on the ground?’ Then I thought about the way many bowlers are tired of bowling by the 30th week, especially if their team has no chance left of finishing near or at the top. If you wait till then the also rans will say forget summer league, I’m playing disc golf.
    John

Ringer

Summer senior leagues here are ramping up 2nd week of April, and that will be here before you know it! Then the standard adult summer leagues 2 weeks after that.

I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I can't wait for the summer league. As I mentioned before I think, I'm getting on a sport doubles league with my son. I wanted to jump on a league for the second half this season but unfortunately I work during all the good ones that I'd want to join so I can't. The leagues on my days off either suck or aren't certified ones. Not interested.

I want to join to compete again and feel that excitement. Nothing that I have the option of joining now will provide that in the way I'm looking for. It's been years since I've been able to compete obviously due to on and off injuries. If summer is where I have to start then so be it. I can keep boning up in the meantime.

On the upside, my son wanted to compete with me this past Monday. I'm happy to report DAD TOOK HIM DOWN! I whipped him 4 out of 5! I asked him "Since you finished 35th in the state and I smoked you 4 out of 5, where does that put me?" All I got was "Shuddup Dad" LMAO. I look forward to getting back out there. You never know how bad you miss it until you can't do it.

Ringer

Our center updated their summer league offerings and now they have something virtually every day. Only a couple of them are kind of interesting. Additional doubles and trios options would have been nice. Not a big fan of 4-man or 5-man leagues. They take way too long.

Chats: 204

Kind've depends on the region. If you're in a region where Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer are about equal in length or if Spring/Summer is significantly shorter.

But yeah, in most regions...where spring/summer is a 'short season'...I have trouble getting information on the upcoming summer leagues until about 2 weeks before the end of fall. I usually end up rewarding the center that gets their schedule out first with my business...just because it annoys me so much that so many centers can't seem to get their act together.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Kind've depends on the region. If you're in a region where Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer are about equal in length or if Spring/Summer is significantly shorter.

But yeah, in most regions...where spring/summer is a 'short season'...I have trouble getting information on the upcoming summer leagues until about 2 weeks before the end of fall. I usually end up rewarding the center that gets their schedule out first with my business...just because it annoys me so much that so many centers can't seem to get their act together.
    It may not entirely be the fault of the centers. For leagues that are run by the house there is no excuse for not having the info in a timely fashion. Leagues that aren’t run by the center are dependent on someone, usually the league secretary from the past season, who probably has a number of other responsibilities to get the information to the center.
    John

Ringer

Summer leagues here used to be 17 weeks. Now this year they are either 18 or 19 weeks.

Fall leagues are 32 weeks, although some centers have started pushing their fall leagues out to 36 weeks and then shortening the summer leagues.