Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of you follow PBA bowlers on their respective YouTube channels?

Chats: 204

I used to really like watching the Lane Side Review videos about different bowling balls. I thought they gave the most honest assessments.

But lately, I don't know. I've seen some reviews lately that really have shaken my faith in how "honest" their reviews really are.

At the end of the day, they don't really ever give a negative review...I don't think anybody that reviews balls ever gives a negative review. They probably figure the bowling ball companies won't give them balls if they "poo poo" the products.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Lane Side Reviews used to be a good channel, but Rob Johnson is a Brunswick staffer which already adds some bias in to their self-proclaimed "non-bias, independent bowling review web series". He would even state on the reviews of non-Brunswick equipment that he wasn't allowed to throw it. As you said, they don't want to be negative either because they will stop getting comped balls from the ball manufacturers. When the pandemic hit, their uploads stopped for several months. I saw that they have started posting again but just haven't been interested in watching them.

JR Raymond's Bolwerx video reviews aren't bad, but even those I am getting bored with. In fact, I am getting bored with ball review/reaction videos in general. They never come to any conclusions, are heavily edited, and generally always positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    Lane Side Reviews used to be a good channel, but Rob Johnson is a Brunswick staffer which already adds some bias in to their self-proclaimed "non-bias, independent bowling review web series". He would even state on the reviews of non-Brunswick equipment that he wasn't allowed to throw it. As you said, they don't want to be negative either because they will stop getting comped balls from the ball manufacturers. When the pandemic hit, their uploads stopped for several months. I saw that they have started posting again but just haven't been interested in watching them.

JR Raymond's Bolwerx video reviews aren't bad, but even those I am getting bored with. In fact, I am getting bored with ball review/reaction videos in general. They never come to any conclusions, are heavily edited, and generally always positive.
    Ball review videos showing them leaving constant 10 pins, not making it to the pocket or hooking off the lane are not going to sell bowling balls. They only choose the best balls thrown with the best reactions. Would you wanna buy a ball that they showed leaving pocket 7-10's every shot? LOL It may be the case but they'd never put that in the video.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Ball review videos showing them leaving constant 10 pins, not making it to the pocket or hooking off the lane are not going to sell bowling balls. They only choose the best balls thrown with the best reactions. Would you wanna buy a ball that they showed leaving pocket 7-10's every shot? LOL It may be the case but they'd never put that in the video.
    At least it would be a more honest review. The closest thing to an honest review are the Ebonite one-take reviews where the bowler bowls an entire game from start to finish in one take. It gives you a chance to see how much adjusting needed to be done, how well the ball carried from frame-to-frame, the bowler's reactions, etc. I wish all reviews were a full game or two all in one-take with the bowler commenting about moves they make, how they feel the reaction is changing over the course of the game[s] etc.

Instead we get videos where the lane is conditioned perfectly for the ball, and the ball has a layout on it that is perfectly suited for the perfect condition. Look at this ball...it has amazing continuation through the pocket! Of course it does.

There have been more than a few duds over the years from all manufacturers. Besides, the manufacturers bring out new balls so frequently they can simply discontinue a dud and try again.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    In fact, I am getting bored with ball review/reaction videos in general. They never come to any conclusions, are heavily edited, and generally always positive.
    That pretty much sums it up nicely.

I've seen SO many ball release videos where pros are throwing some mega super monster ball and...if you even know a tiny teeny little bit about ball specs...you'll know that the average bowler shouldn't be using that ball on a THS. Yet the pro will be sitting there saying, "this ball will work for any bowler on any condition...from the tournament bowler looking to battler heavier oil conditions to the house bowler wanting more movement downlane." And I'm hearing that thinking..."if the ball is going to move sooner in the heavy oil...how is going to have delayed motion and move more down lane on a THS!?? Thats just a pro bowler reading a script.

But bowling ball companies are TERRIFIED at telling bowlers that a ball "won't work well for them"...even if it's the truth. Track used to be a bit technical and try to really drill down to the numbers and get bowlers fit with the right ball for their game...but then came Storm and Storm just said, "Hey...you want that ball because it smells like bubblegum? Sure...it'll do JUST FINE. That'll be $275." Storm's business model worked, Track's didn't. Bowlers don't want to be told they can't throw the ball like Mike Fagan and therefore shouldn't throw the same equipment as Mike Fagan. They want to believe what they want to believe...and if it doesn't work..they'll blame it on the lanes.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12