Thread: Form question, trying to understand this...

Chats: 0

Default Form question, trying to understand this...

A co-worker who is a young guy and a VERY excellent bowler, one of the top dogs. He tells me at the end of his slide he brings his body up by slightly straightening his knee just as his thumb come out off his ball while snapping his wrist, helps generate revs.

He doesn't loft and he has a average speed of 18 MPH and a very powerful release. He shoots 700+ just about every league night. I've yet to see anything under 650 since I've worked there from him.

I'm having a hard time getting what he is saying about bringing the body up. I see what he is doing but I was always taught to stay down when posting and not come up. Keep the torso straight, not bending at the waist but never taught to rise up with the knee and raise the torso. This wouldn't be considered "hitting up" because he's not doing it with his arm/wrist. The movement is in the knee.

Rob, other coaches? Can you enlighten me? Also wouldn't this kinds tend to trash ones knee?

I think that what he is doing is applying the old, out-dated, concept of lift to get extra revs. It is no longer necessary, and can easily be counter-productive. And, YES, it will trash the knee on his sliding leg!

High Roller

I have read and heard on TV several times about keeping the head still and pretend there is a cup on top of it that you don't want to fall off. I'm nowhere near that form but they have said that is the best way to do it...head still, which I assume means keeping it at the same plane and same level
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I agree with Rob as to this technique being unnecessary and counter productive. I am not so sure about it trashing the guy’s knee. I could check with one of my physical therapist friends, but I think that most knee injuries occur when the knee is dealing with either a rotational force, a lateral force, or being pushed outside its normal range of motion (hyperextension).
    John

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I think that what he is doing is applying the old, out-dated, concept of lift to get extra revs. It is no longer necessary, and can easily be counter-productive. And, YES, it will trash the knee on his sliding leg!
    I can't multi quote on my phone so I'll start at the top down. Rob, that's what I was thinking too but I wasn't positive. Staying down is what I was always taught. I do need to get video and show you this guy, he's 19, righty one hander and is very talented and impressive.

Boatman, when he come up it's not a violent motion. I not sure if the cup would fall. He's very smooth about it. My son wouldn't stand a chance with a cup on his head, he's a bobblehead but nowhere near as bad as he used to be. If probably drop the cup at the line myself, I'd have to watch video. You'd lose it for sure with that little hop at the end. Glass all over the approach!

J, the rising up may not hurt it but combined with the forward momentum MAY be the key factor. A lot of weight to lift while you're moving at that pace over and over. That may be the killer in the long haul. I'm not a doc so I could be wrong.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    J, the rising up may not hurt it but combined with the forward momentum MAY be the key factor. A lot of weight to lift while you're moving at that pace over and over. That may be the killer in the long haul. I'm not a doc so I could be wrong.
    The real stress is the knee absorbing all that momentum as the foot stops at the line. Planters really put a lot of stress on it. At least sliding bleeds off a bit of energy before the stop. There is a Youtube video that analyses how much stress Sean Rash puts on his knee.
    John

Oh no need to even look. I plant and I was told it's amazing I can even walk after what I do at the line. In my case it pulls my hamstring muscle, knee hasn't been an issue so far.

Now that I've toned it down some after my other injury I seem fine after bowling. Not sore at all. The most consecutive games since coming back have been 8-10, not 15-20. Plus I'm throwing slower. When I did that I walked like I just got off a horse for two days.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Agree
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    A co-worker who is a young guy and a VERY excellent bowler, one of the top dogs. He tells me at the end of his slide he brings his body up by slightly straightening his knee just as his thumb come out off his ball while snapping his wrist, helps generate revs.

He doesn't loft and he has a average speed of 18 MPH and a very powerful release. He shoots 700+ just about every league night. I've yet to see anything under 650 since I've worked there from him.

I'm having a hard time getting what he is saying about bringing the body up. I see what he is doing but I was always taught to stay down when posting and not come up. Keep the torso straight, not bending at the waist but never taught to rise up with the knee and raise the torso. This wouldn't be considered "hitting up" because he's not doing it with his arm/wrist. The movement is in the knee.

Rob, other coaches? Can you enlighten me? Also wouldn't this kinds tend to trash ones knee?
    It could be a balance issue, A lot of times when you fall off a shot or pop up at the foul line your balance is off. Either because of form or timing and your body is trying to rebalance itself.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker