Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever...

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    My PSO was told by his trash company not to throw bowling balls in the trash/dumpster. The trash company said they don't want them and will not accept them. Aside from donating them or using then for arts and crafts, what are we supposed to do with them? Maybe that's why this happened:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...ng-balls-house
    lol. I leave mine on the rack at the center. They are still good. The only one I had that cracked went in the dumpster I had here at home
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

My PSO was told by his trash company not to throw bowling balls in the trash/dumpster. The trash company said they don't want them and will not accept them. Aside from donating them or using then for arts and crafts, what are we supposed to do with them? Maybe that's why this happened:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...ng-balls-house
    That's kinda weird, I mean what do they expect to find in a dumpster outside a pro shop or bowling center, bags of toys? I can't say it would be unreasonable for bowling balls or even some pins to end up in there now and again.

They aren't toxic waste, biohazards, electronics or tires so I'm curious what their reasoning is. The big scary thud it makes falling in the truck? I'm sure there is worse in a landfill than bowling balls. I've seen cars shredded at scrap yards engine and all in about two minutes. I'm sure there is some big scary machine that could turn a ball into dust in less time.

Ringer

Yeah, I don't really understand why the trash company is refusing bowling balls. Maybe they would prefer to pick them up on a bulk pickup basis instead of the regular trash pickup. Who knows.

It's not consistent what they take. In some areas they are very picky and other areas they take anything and everything. Before our area was incorporated anything goes. Now, if it doesn't fit in the hopper you have to buy stickers. Larger items require not only stickers but prior consent which you can get denied.

We had to hold on to a couch until spring cleanup week which is once every other year. It's a headache in some areas, other areas you can pitch tires and car batteries every week and a massive pile of furniture no problem. Crazy.

Ringer

Tires and car batteries around here are an absolute no for municipal trash disposal. Tires have to go to a specific location and you have to pay a $3-$6/tire disposal fee. If you also have wheels/rims, they can only be taken to a scrap yard for disposal (but the tire has to be dismounted first.) Car batteries must be taken to an auto parts store or a car battery retailer [e.g. Interstate batteries]. Most places will just take the battery off your hands, other places will actually pay you a nominal amount for your old battery.

Most residential trash companies out here will take large items whenever you need to dispose of them (couches, etc.) but you have to call and notify them that you will be putting it out with the trash. The other option is to just put large items out at the curb during the weekend with a "free" sign on it, and it will magically disappear within a few hours.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Tires and car batteries around here are an absolute no for municipal trash disposal. Tires have to go to a specific location and you have to pay a $3-$6/tire disposal fee. If you also have wheels/rims, they can only be taken to a scrap yard for disposal (but the tire has to be dismounted first.) Car batteries must be taken to an auto parts store or a car battery retailer [e.g. Interstate batteries]. Most places will just take the battery off your hands, other places will actually pay you a nominal amount for your old battery.

Most residential trash companies out here will take large items whenever you need to dispose of them (couches, etc.) but you have to call and notify them that you will be putting it out with the trash. The other option is to just put large items out at the curb during the weekend with a "free" sign on it, and it will magically disappear within a few hours.
    We now live in a town with once or twice a year bulk trash pick up. The town posts the schedule of when the collection will start in each neighborhood and asks that people not put bulk items out at the curb until two days before the start. Some people will start putting things out one or two months early. Others will put a pile of stuff at the curb a week after everyone else’s pile has been collected. While I like not having to a special trip with a truck or trailer, I hate seeing piles of junk all over the place long before and after the collection.
    I am also amazed at how much disappears before the town gets around to picking it up. I doubt if the town winds up with any scrap metal, that’s always gone within 24 hours. Sometimes things that I thing are not worth trying to repair go. Other thing that I know are perfectly good get ignored.
    John

Ringer

Putting bulk items out months in advance is honestly just disrespectful to your neighbors. It's like they are saying their own space is too valuable to store it until pick up day, so they force everyone else to stare at it for months. We have a neighbor that has had junk in their driveway as well as a disabled vehicle sitting in it for years. Local government laws allow for one disabled vehicle to remain in driveways, so there is no violation there. The other junk, though, is iffy at best. They also only mow their front yard once a month in the summer. The backyard maybe twice the entire summer [they frequently violate local ordinances for grass height, and have been warned, but it doesn't make any difference in their lawn maintenance habits.]

Local ordinances also state that trash containers cannot be placed curbside more than 24 hours in advance of your normal pick up day, and must be removed from the curb within 24 hours of pick up. The above mentioned neighbor will sometimes leave their empty trash cans curbside for 3-4 days after they have been emptied.

Ringer

I'm actually doing that (throwing away my existing arsenal and starting over). Aside from my WD, everything is being replaced.

My Crux cracked - so that's finally getting replaced.
    My IQ tour Pearl (yellow) is cracking badly around the thumbhole (already plugged around it - cracks expanding) and fingers cracking out - days are numbered so it's getting replaced.
    My Marvel S has been reconditioned, oil sucked, resurfaced, etc. etc. and I'm having to seriously force it to do anything at all - so getting a new ball for my birthday (last Sunday).

So - my wife got some balls donated to her and one of them is way too heavy for her (light 15#) so we're using it as an experiment on new fitting for me. It's DV8 Diva - it's FUN. Holy crap - quite a bit shorter span (evidently I was way stretched - I haven't been refitted for maybe 20 years?) and lighter (15# instead of 16#) . . . and since how it's set up, I tried looking at my apex and . . . wow, it's fun!

My PSO has two more balls on order for me - I don't remember what they are (we're way busy packing and moving so my brain is way scattered) but I've been bowling with him as a sub for 5-6 times and I asked him to help match me up with balls. I'll post what they are, but I've been wanting to do this for a while - the IQTP is a 2012 and the Marvel is 2013 so . . . probably WAY past time! LOL

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    I'm actually doing that (throwing away my existing arsenal and starting over). Aside from my WD, everything is being replaced.

My Crux cracked - so that's finally getting replaced.
    My IQ tour Pearl (yellow) is cracking badly around the thumbhole (already plugged around it - cracks expanding) and fingers cracking out - days are numbered so it's getting replaced.
    My Marvel S has been reconditioned, oil sucked, resurfaced, etc. etc. and I'm having to seriously force it to do anything at all - so getting a new ball for my birthday (last Sunday).

So - my wife got some balls donated to her and one of them is way too heavy for her (light 15#) so we're using it as an experiment on new fitting for me. It's DV8 Diva - it's FUN. Holy crap - quite a bit shorter span (evidently I was way stretched - I haven't been refitted for maybe 20 years?) and lighter (15# instead of 16#) . . . and since how it's set up, I tried looking at my apex and . . . wow, it's fun!

My PSO has two more balls on order for me - I don't remember what they are (we're way busy packing and moving so my brain is way scattered) but I've been bowling with him as a sub for 5-6 times and I asked him to help match me up with balls. I'll post what they are, but I've been wanting to do this for a while - the IQTP is a 2012 and the Marvel is 2013 so . . . probably WAY past time! LOL
    That's awesome! You will have to keep us updated on what you end up with and how it works out. A few weeks ago one of my teammates did a total reset and got all new equipment. It has done wonders for his game.

I am having one of my "stashed" new balls drilled up and I pick it up tomorrow. So I will have one "new" ball to play with at league this week. It is a ball that was released in 2018, and I bought it on closeout in 2020 and stashed it away. I still have 2 other stashed balls, another from 2018 and one from 2020. WIll get them drilled up one of these days, but they are too similar to stuff I already have to make it worthwhile.

I have always wanted to try doing an arsenal of a specific model of three similar or same model balls, just with different covers. Solid, Pearl, Hybrid. The closest I have come is having a DV8 Turmoil 2 solid and a DV8 Turmoil 2 Pearl. They are a great combo. I regret not getting a Turmoil hybrid while I still had the chance. Oh well, that's what happens when you play the closeout game

Ringer

So - we got my span figured out. Me LIKEY. Still fully adjusting, but using my WD for spares, I can really FEEL the stretch I used to live with.

My PSO has bowled with me a good amount, having subbed for my F-in-Law last season quite a bit.

We're going Zen Master (I'll have layout next week) for benchmark, the donated DV8 Diva for light and Nova for power. Will play and figure out what each does. We're trying to build for Nats (June 8, 9 for me) but also for flexibility for local league and tourneys. I really want to start doing tournaments with a couple of buddies while my new knee is happy and my old knee is still somewhat limber! LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast