Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip sack media

Chats: 0

Default Grip sack media

If you wanted to create a custom grip sack, aside from buying one and cutting all the fill out. Can you just buy the fill/media?

Ringer

Yes, you can buy rosin powder on amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    Yes, you can buy rosin powder on amazon.
    I was referring to grip sacks which are the dry pellets not the powder. As it turns out after further research it's literally kitty litter of all things.

Ringer

Interesting. I guess anything that absorbs moisture on contact could go in one.

Most people I bowl with use the sacks filled with rosin powder. Sometimes it looks like it snowed by the end of the night. The Storm ones are scented which is even worse.

I was never a rosin guy. Whenever I used it, I about yanked my arm off because it stuck so bad. I'd rather just add tape. The grip sacks are just right, they've always have me that grip and feel I was looking for.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

NOTE:
    There are two different types of "Rosin/Dry Bags" and they are used for two totally different things.

1st-Is the Dry/puffball Type bag, those are the ones you see bowler's using most of the time to dry a sweaty hand or patting on the finger holes. That leaves powder all over the place.

These are a cloth type bag and they mostly contain a clay like ADsorbent silica material (like cat litter) that makes a fine dust that drys your hand out.

There is another type that doesn't leave a powder residue or dry out your skin. It uses a ABsorbent material made from a recycled paper material. I don't know if anyone makes this anymore.

2nd-Is the Grip type which is more of a true "rosin bag", they are meant to give you more grip, not dry your hand. They have a white sticky powder substance in them ( I believe it's made from a plant extract or similar type material) that gives you a surer grip on the ball.

Warning these two bags are not interchangeable! Over use the "Rosin" grip type and you can hang up in a ball, also the sticky white powder can build up in the holes and cause you to stick.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Basically the same thing as "Oil dry" you'd use in your garage. Silica clay. Which again it's very much the same as cat litter. I decided to do an experiment when I got home from work. I cut open a grip sack that's been in our lost and found forever and I brought home from work tonight.

I poured it out and compared it to cheap $2 litter form Walmart, the more expensive name brand Tidy cat and some oil dry I had in the garage. Between the 4 the Tidy cat was "dust free" and a brighter white color with blue specks. It also had a scent to it.

The cheap $2 stuff was identical to what was in the grip sack. LOL The granual size, shape and color was exactly the same. The oil dry was also similar but a tad more fine and more dusty.

I poured some $2 litter in an old sock. Smacked it on a ball and it let our a small puff just like a grip sack. I bounced it in my hand like I would the sack and put my hand in the ball. I'll be darned to see a difference. The oil dry probably could be used as well but would make a bigger mess.

So bottom line is, your paying $6-20+ for the grip sacks/grip balls which is not even a nickles worth of litter. The sack itself is likely less than a buck if not 50 cents worth the material and thread. Of course you don't have to make them and they have cool logos.

Price isn't the point though, the point is that if you want to make custom ones it's completely doable. It's cheap and you likely already have what you need if you own a cat. Having someone who knows how to sew around would help. They probably have the rest laying around or could with a trip to a craft store.

Ringer

cat litter is diatomaceous earth - literally fossils. :O

I use it in ceramics to hold plates flat and to help them dry evenly (fill socks with them. . . I know, funny!)

My dry-sack doesn't exude powder - might be kitty litter inside, but it's coarse enough to NOT leave off powder, which I find VERY bad to let out. A: it's not allowed on our balls, B: it's BAD on the floor and I'm really sensitive to that with my replaced knee. Falling on a replaced knee is HORRIBLY painful (think white-hot ice-picks forcibly shoved into your bone) so if someone is leaving a powder on the floor, they're going to have a (very nice) discussion from me.

Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a fine white powder commonly used in swimming pool filters, can be used in gardening and believe it or not a way to get rid of a flea infestation in your home. Plus a ton of other uses. I've personally never seen DE in granual form but it likely exists.

What I was working with was is essentially clay pellets (possibly bentonite clay BC?) which I'm not a geologist but clay isn't made from fossils/shells like DE. When I said it was a small puff, I'm talking minute not a big white cloud like a rosin bag.

Rosin is clearly a white powder, very chalky. (Which might actually be chalk that if I remember correctly is limestone? I don't know) Baseball pitchers have that huge sack on the mount and it let's out a massive poof. Bowlers also use rosin bags, much smaller and THEY make the mess. Grip sacks should not. If they do, they are probably old and the pellets have broken down or the sacks themselves are worn and they should be discarded.

Clay and DE are both non-toxic and I believe DE (the proper kind) is consumable. Why you'd want to is another story, in also not a doctor. The puff let out while bad to step on in bowling shoes isn't harmful internally to the body. I can't speak for the chalky rosin.

I smacked the sock on the bowling ball as an experiment to compare a commercial grip sack to the kitty litter and oil dry in the sock. No, it's not allowed on the ball surface while bowling but it was merely for experimentation purposes for this discussion.

It also has no business being on the floor or approach. That said, now and again I still find baby powder in little piles under chairs which is infuriating to say the least.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a fine white powder commonly used in swimming pool filters, can be used in gardening and believe it or not a way to get rid of a flea infestation in your home. Plus a ton of other uses. I've personally never seen DE in granual form but it likely exists.

What I was working with was is essentially clay pellets (possibly bentonite clay BC?) which I'm not a geologist but clay isn't made from fossils/shells like DE. When I said it was a small puff, I'm talking minute not a big white cloud like a rosin bag.

Rosin is clearly a white powder, very chalky. (Which might actually be chalk that if I remember correctly is limestone? I don't know) Baseball pitchers have that huge sack on the mount and it let's out a massive poof. Bowlers also use rosin bags, much smaller and THEY make the mess. Grip sacks should not. If they do, they are probably old and the pellets have broken down or the sacks themselves are worn and they should be discarded.

Clay and DE are both non-toxic and I believe DE (the proper kind) is consumable. Why you'd want to is another story, in also not a doctor. The puff let out while bad to step on in bowling shoes isn't harmful internally to the body. I can't speak for the chalky rosin.

I smacked the sock on the bowling ball as an experiment to compare a commercial grip sack to the kitty litter and oil dry in the sock. No, it's not allowed on the ball surface while bowling but it was merely for experimentation purposes for this discussion.

It also has no business being on the floor or approach. That said, now and again I still find baby powder in little piles under chairs which is infuriating to say the least.
    Powder on the floor is the worst. Seems like every week we are either cleaning it up or warning others to watch their step.

The bowling center recently installed new flooring and the sawdust was everywhere. Made sliding really interesting. There was simply no way to clean it all up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast