Thread: 34' Sport short oil pattern advice?

Chats: 0

Default 34' Sport short oil pattern advice?

On a short oil sport pattern 34' my son was using a venom shock. It was really diving on the back ends a little out of his comfort zone. Not really a surprise. I'm wondering if letting him use my Motiv Hydra next week would be a better choice?

It's an older ball very low game count on it and it's very smooth and controllable. Probably the smoothest modern ball I've ever thrown. Everything else he has at his disposal is Jackal Legacy, VIP, Fatal Venom, Zen Master, Hammer Gauntlet and a Purple Hammer, in addition to multiple Venom Shocks. What would be the best choice given what we have? We have other stuff but they'd have to be adjusted, so let's start here.

He was playing at 17 to the break point at 7. Personally I probably would have used the fatal venom first and played deeper around 22 at the same break point. Then maybe when it got fried would have gone straighter with the phammer.

Being his first time all I told him that it was a short pattern and use whatever he thought was best and I walked away. He took 2 out of 3. 169, 191 and 204. It's 3 games head to head scratch with whomever is across from you. 1 point per game, no series. 12 weeks, 4 weeks on each pattern then it switches.

Working there I could get all the specifics in the world about the pattern and feed him every bit of information. I'm not doing it though because he's going to bowl in college and Dad won't be there. He'd better get used to figuring it out without depending on bowling center manager Dad to provide all the answers and inside info.

Help with the right ball on the other hand is something anyone can give suggestions about. Nothing proprietary about that. His boss at the pro shop could probably help him but I doubt he'd ask.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    On a short oil sport pattern 34' my son was using a venom shock. It was really diving on the back ends a little out of his comfort zone. Not really a surprise. I'm wondering if letting him use my Motiv Hydra next week would be a better choice?

It's an older ball very low game count on it and it's very smooth and controllable. Probably the smoothest modern ball I've ever thrown. Everything else he has at his disposal is Jackal Legacy, VIP, Fatal Venom, Zen Master, Hammer Gauntlet and a Purple Hammer, in addition to multiple Venom Shocks. What would be the best choice given what we have? We have other stuff but they'd have to be adjusted, so let's start here.

He was playing at 17 to the break point at 7. Personally I probably would have used the fatal venom first and played deeper around 22 at the same break point. Then maybe when it got fried would have gone straighter with the phammer.

Being his first time all I told him that it was a short pattern and use whatever he thought was best and I walked away. He took 2 out of 3. 169, 191 and 204. It's 3 games head to head scratch with whomever is across from you. 1 point per game, no series. 12 weeks, 4 weeks on each pattern then it switches.

Working there I could get all the specifics in the world about the pattern and feed him every bit of information. I'm not doing it though because he's going to bowl in college and Dad won't be there. He'd better get used to figuring it out without depending on bowling center manager Dad to provide all the answers and inside info.

Help with the right ball on the other hand is something anyone can give suggestions about. Nothing proprietary about that. His boss at the pro shop could probably help him but I doubt he'd ask.
    The best advice for your son would come from his boss in the pro shop. Other than that I can only pass along what my PSO has told me; On a short pattern you want the ball to have at least a little surface. Too little and the ball will react too soon to the friction and either miss left or if it some how has been launched at the correct angle to hit the pocket, will be dead on arrival.
    John