Thread: A disaster game is there just waiting to hit........

Chats: 0

Default A disaster game is there just waiting to hit........

I have seen pro bowlers get hit with a disaster game. I have seen Tom Daugherty bowl a 100, Marshall Holman in his prime bowled a 135 and Jason Belmonte bowled a 168. I saw another tournament where Wes Malot bowled Tom Daugherty and Wes bowled a 174 and Tom couldn't beat that game and bowled a 170. Now if guys that bowl hundreds of games a year can bowl like that then it only stands to reason that I can bowl a game as low as a 114 on league day.

Well the reason I bowled that game was because I had two pocket 7/10 leaves and I had two pocket splits that left the 4/10 that I couldn't pick up. Then to throw into the mix I left the 3 5 6 pins and only picked up two of those. Plus when I did get a spare I had more then one pin standing. Oh yeah, I had zero strikes that game. See how easy it is to bowl a 114. I was able to scratch out a 154 in my second game and a 171 in my last game.

Sometimes I don't adjust on the approach quick enough to get strikes and good pin count on the first ball. If I do adjust quick enough I will get strikes or at least 9 pins down on my first ball. I am not good enough to get mad when I bowl a game like a 114. I only bowl once a week on a senior league and sometimes me and two of my teammates will bowl 4 practice games on a Thursday afternoon. So far this year my lowest game is the 114 and my highest is a 211. Mister consistency I am not.

Now I don't know if any of you folks here bowled a low game like a 114. Maybe you are good enough where a disaster game to you is maybe a 150. Disaster games hit all of us even the pros like the examples I gave above. Sometimes it just happens that you and whatever balls you are using don't match up with the lanes that you are bowling on. No matter how you look at it a disaster game will hit you eventually. Oh yeah, it will even happen if you bowl a lot and practice quite a bit. It happens to all of us.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

High Roller

yep. my low this year is 141 but rolled a 119 last year
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I have seen pro bowlers get hit with a disaster game. I have seen Tom Daugherty bowl a 100, Marshall Holman in his prime bowled a 135 and Jason Belmonte bowled a 168. I saw another tournament where Wes Malot bowled Tom Daugherty and Wes bowled a 174 and Tom couldn't beat that game and bowled a 170. Now if guys that bowl hundreds of games a year can bowl like that then it only stands to reason that I can bowl a game as low as a 114 on league day.

Well the reason I bowled that game was because I had two pocket 7/10 leaves and I had two pocket splits that left the 4/10 that I couldn't pick up. Then to throw into the mix I left the 3 5 6 pins and only picked up two of those. Plus when I did get a spare I had more then one pin standing. Oh yeah, I had zero strikes that game. See how easy it is to bowl a 114. I was able to scratch out a 154 in my second game and a 171 in my last game.

Sometimes I don't adjust on the approach quick enough to get strikes and good pin count on the first ball. If I do adjust quick enough I will get strikes or at least 9 pins down on my first ball. I am not good enough to get mad when I bowl a game like a 114. I only bowl once a week on a senior league and sometimes me and two of my teammates will bowl 4 practice games on a Thursday afternoon. So far this year my lowest game is the 114 and my highest is a 211. Mister consistency I am not.

Now I don't know if any of you folks here bowled a low game like a 114. Maybe you are good enough where a disaster game to you is maybe a 150. Disaster games hit all of us even the pros like the examples I gave above. Sometimes it just happens that you and whatever balls you are using don't match up with the lanes that you are bowling on. No matter how you look at it a disaster game will hit you eventually. Oh yeah, it will even happen if you bowl a lot and practice quite a bit. It happens to all of us.
    Of course it happens to all of us at some point. Bad breaks or mistakes are always a part of the game. Usually they are spaced out enough where it don’t happen this way. Like the planets aligning, it don’t happen often but now and again the bad luck and mistakes pile up on top of one another all at once.

On the upside, you got it out of the way. Chances of it repeating again anytime soon are slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Of course it happens to all of us at some point. Bad breaks or mistakes are always a part of the game. Usually they are spaced out enough where it don’t happen this way. Like the planets aligning, it don’t happen often but now and again the bad luck and mistakes pile up on top of one another all at once.

On the upside, you got it out of the way. Chances of it repeating again anytime soon are slim.
    My league average at this time is a 161. That is about right for as often as I bowl these days which isn't a lot. I bowl league once a week and practice sometimes on Thursday afternoons if I can make it.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

My Doubles partner last week bowled games of 135-245 back-to-back!

High Roller

Sort of a funny story...when I returned to bowling after a 16 year break I was using a teammates right handed ball. I had grand illusions of holding a 200 average after a week or two. Week 2 a fellow lefty brought in an old Storm Sync and said if I liked it I could have it for $10. First game with it...245. Boom. There it is! Ran over to him to give him that $10. Next game....124
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    My Doubles partner last week bowled games of 135-245 back-to-back!
    I am not known as mister consistency because my low game this year was the 114 and my high this year is a 211. Sometimes I don't adjust fast enough for what the lanes are giving me. I try to make my ball do what the lanes won't let it do. Then it finally sinks in after wrecking the first game. Then in the second game after adjusting on the approach I start getting strikes and 9 pins down on my first ball if I don't get a strike.