Thread: First tournament in decades

Chats: 0

Default First tournament in decades

So I officially signed up for a scratch tournament. Since I have no established average is hard to get into anything. Since it's a scratch tournament, it's not pins over average, established average is moot anyway. Since I'm part of the center and not a pba card holder they made an exception to let me in.

It's 7 games, 14 teams on 7 pairs, each pair with a different sport pattern. 1 game per pair.

I know going in I don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning. I just want to be part of something again until I'm actually part of something. I could care less really how well I do, I just want to have fun. Doing well will be there cherry on top.

I say 14 teams but it means 4-5 people per lane depending on roster size, it's not a team or doubles format, it's individual. If more than 14 teams with of people sign up then they will oil more lanes with those same repeating patterns. This happens in a few weeks, I'm excited. Last time I bowled on sport officially I had a two ball arsenal which was 20+yrs old. Now that I have better and current stuff I will probably do at least a little better.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Good luck! Sounds like you’ve got a great attitude going in.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Good luck! Sounds like you’ve got a great attitude going in.
    Yeah, I got nothing to prove and nothing to lose. I'll still be competitive and give it my all. Given my experience on the conditions I'd be an idiot to go in thinking I'd dominate. You never know, I could do better than I think.

I'd be happy to win some cash of course. I sure am not counting on it. I'm just curious to see how well I do compared to the last time when I had my arse handed to me when I was clueless. I've learned a lot since then. We'll see how well I learned to execute what I've learned. I don't foresee it being easy for anyone. Nonetheless, I feel I could spend $40 in many less satisfying ways... Like ummm... 8 gallons of gas. That's a hell of a lot less fun.

It's in a few weeks, I'll let you guys know how I do.

Ringer

We used to have an annual tournament around here that was similar. $90 entry. 8 games scratch, sport shot [sometimes multiple patterns], randomly draw your starting pair from a hat, then move after each game. I tried it a few times. PBA guys, both regional and national, started showing up and winning it. Didn't want to donate to their income so I stopped bowling in that tournament. Then, Bowlero acquired the center and basically cancelled all the local house tournaments that used to be held there. The only tournaments they are hosting are ones that were contractually in place prior to the acquisition. After this year, there will be no more tournaments at all at that center.

It was an interesting tournament. 8 games on sport is a real grind....actually exhausting. There was no break at all at any time...just one game after the other until you were done. Typically 3-5 people per pair depending on turnout. Highest 8 game total won. Then there were brackets running as well.

I shouldn't have a problem doing the 7 games. I do that in practice without batting an eye. I try for 15 but usually poop out these days at 11-12 wishing I didn't do the last one. Since the last injury I don't have the stamina built up quite yet

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I shouldn't have a problem doing the 7 games. I do that in practice without batting an eye. I try for 15 but usually poop out these days at 11-12 wishing I didn't do the last one. Since the last injury I don't have the stamina built up quite yet
    The problem is not so much the physical act of throwing 7 or 8 games. The problem is the mental grind of figuring out how to play the pattern on one pair and then moving and having to figure out the next pair.
    John

The problem is not so much the physical act of throwing 7 or 8 games. The problem is the mental grind of figuring out how to play the pattern on one pair and then moving and having to figure out the next pair.
    Meh... like I said, this is just to be a part of something. Meet some people out from behind my uniform and not be manager for a change. I'd like to enjoy myself and try to look a little like I know what I'm doing. If not, no biggie. If I had a dog I wouldn't go home and kick it off I do bad.

Ringer

This! 100%!!!

Ringer

sounds like FUN!!!

I'm hoping to start doing some tournaments here real quick - and I think I'll adopt your attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    sounds like FUN!!!

I'm hoping to start doing some tournaments here real quick - and I think I'll adopt your attitude!
    Thank you🙂 Since this is only the first of probably many is why I chose to be like this. Down the road, when I get better at this type of thing would be a more appropriate time to get more serious. For now it's a learning experience to get under my belt.

When I start getting into bakers, doubles or team tournaments it will be a different story. Those situations I'll have others depending on me looking for me to come through for them. Nobody wants a nonchalant partner or teammate who doesn't care about the outcome. LOL This is just an individual thing so nobody will get upset. Especially the ones who get the prize money I added to by being in.

I look at this as the first time in years I'll be throwing a ball down a lane that counts for something other than a personal best in practice. Impressing open bowlers and beating my son is fun and all but you guys understand what I'm saying.