Thread: Any old bowlers here like me?

Chats: 0

Default Any old bowlers here like me?

I just turned 75 not long ago. I have been bowling for 38 years so far. My average now is 162 this year. I don't have a higher average like I used to because I only bowl one league once a week and sometimes hit 4 games of practice on a Thursday with two of my teammates. My two teammates have averages of 129 and 135. Me having the higher average is why I am the anchor man. As a matter of fact in my 38 years of bowling I was the anchor man most of the time. I don't get nervous being the anchor man because I never look at what the score is until I am finished bowling. I even tell my teammates not to tell me how far behind we are if we are behind. That just puts too much pressure on you then.

I can't be called Mr. consistency either. So far this year my lowest game was a 114 and my highest was a 211. Sometimes I have a day where things work out fine. I had one day where I bowled a 202 and a 208 and a 183. So games like a 114 don't happen often and that is why my average is 162. I don't put in a lot of practice because I am retired and on a fixed income and this inflation with everything costing more puts a damper on how much money I can spend on my bowling. Plus I don't want to put extra wear and tear on this old body. I want to keep it going for a few more years of bowling. So my 38 years of experience at least lets me still have decent games these day. Just like any bowler you have good days and you have bad bowling days. Like they say that's bowling.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I'm not old, but my F-in-Law is 88 and still bowls - carries about 175 average.

Working on him to lower his weight to 15 or 14 but he's stubborn about using 16# only . . .

He's got aplastic anemia so his hemoglobin count drops down every two-three weeks and he has to get a transfusion (typically we ask for 21yo virgin blood, like Betty White used to get, but that's getting harder to get . . . ) and then he's right back to himself. I think we've persuaded him to be a regular sub this league. He'll have fun, everybody loves him so he'll always get a slot, and when his counts are low he has no obligation. . .