Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anybody out there?

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    This is becoming a major issue around here as well. People think that the per game price is a group price. despite the pricing clearly stating "ALL PRICES ARE PER GAME PER PERSON". The control desk/counter staff also clearly explain the pricing to every customer and provide an estimate of the bill before checking the customer in. Then a group of 6 comes in, each person bowls 3 games, their bill with shoe rental is $160, and they freak out. They pay and bowl and then they go online and leave a negative review that they were charged per game per person which is unfair and it is ridiculously expensive.

The days of the 2hr rent-a-lane special at our center are long gone, which is what is confusing people I believe. Used to be $70 to rent a lane for 2hrs (shoes included) for up to 6 people. Bowlero came in and killed that and went to the per game per person model.
    We still have the 2 hour rate but that too is PER PERSON. It's 15 for two hours. Problem is, that's counterproductive if you have more than 3 people. You get 6 on one lane, no way you're getting through 3 games. It's a great deal for one or two people though.

People are just idiots and want everything for nothing. Especially now, EVERYTHING is super expensive compared to pre-Covid. Just about everything in our restaurant costs more than double compared to them. Guess what folks, our prices have to go up too. Gas $5 a gallon and $100 with of groceries feeds you for a couple days so why would prices for bowling be what they were?

It sucks and everything is expensive but instead of giving negative reviews to the businesses trying to make it through this economic mess, people need to tell this to the people in Washington that got us in this mess so we can get it fixed. Prices are the effect, the idiots that the majority voted for are the cause. Aim your anger in the right direction. The whole situation is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The tip is the one thing that has helped long-time bowlers more than anything else I've taught: rather than trying to make modern bowling balls hook, learn to let them hook. With modern balls, the more you try to make them hook, the less they hook. Once you learn to just roll the ball and let it hook, you'll be amazed at how much more power you have.
    I did that this week and it works. I tried several balls and finally ended up with the Roto Grip Hustle Camo. It's a solid shiny ball with medium differential. Hadn't used it much since I got it. I just tried to keep my hand behind the ball and let it work. It made a smooth move to the pocket and worked best for me. Looking forward to giving it another try this coming week as the senior league is ending up soon...

Question: Why do urethane balls get softer after prolonged use?

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    I have no idea. I think this whole thing about balls getting softer is nonsense. Personally, I'm always looking for balls that hook less, not more!

High Roller

Gotta agree with Rob. Like I said, I wouldn't notice the difference between a legal one and a too soft one. I love my Altered Reality but only when the conditions are right. Most days it hooks more than I like and I lose consistency.
    I have been thinking about this recently...these guys work to get 500 RPM so they can hook the whole lane then when they have too much movement they go to urethane to get less hook....lol

I checked my revs the other day...about 275. Oh well. It is what it is. At my age (53) I'm fine with it and can still strike. Sure 375 would be better but it is what it is and my consistency is more important to me
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

None of this ball stuff matters. Hard, soft, balance hole, no balance hole, thumb/no thumb. None of it matters. Regardless of all of that, someone has to throw the ball. They have to figure out how to play the lane, and then do the same thing over and over consistently.

If you really want to boil it down, you could start making an argument that people throwing 16lb equipment have a competitive advantage over people throwing 14lb, who have a competitive advantage over the people using 12lb, etc.

Bowling is getting bogged down in so much pointless minutia. I am at the point where I hope our leagues become non-sanctioned. I was once a supporter of the USBC and had some hope that they were the right thing for the sport of bowling. However they are not.

The equipment regulation isn't the issue. How about some sort of enforcement/standardization of the actual playing field [lanes]. That is the problem and that is what they need to focus on if they want true integrity.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    I think it has to do with the plasticizers aging out. As the ball gets older, the plasticizers also age. Plastic (urethane is plastic) isn't forever. . .

Thanks Rob. I've finally realized that balls that work for me more consistently are ones that make me look good and give me miss room I can use to keep hitting the pocket. When I switched to the Hustle Camo it made me feel comfortable as it didn't under hook or over hook. It hooked just right for my eyes especially if I didn't help it. I had one week like that with the IQ Tour Nano Pearl. If I gave that ball any help, it took off Brooklyn. The IQ TNP worked well for that week, but then in subsequent weeks the lanes were too dry with what looked like wet-dry conditions and I couldn't use it. The ball that did help with those conditions was my Pro-Motion. It's cover was much stronger and it could handle the wet-dry lanes pretty well and gave me what I needed. I've continued to bring that ball with me just in case and the Hustle Camo will be in my bag each week as well. Neither ball are hook monsters as all I need is the ball to take out the 5-pin if I'm successful to get it to the pocket...

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The tip is the one thing that has helped long-time bowlers more than anything else I've taught: rather than trying to make modern bowling balls hook, learn to let them hook. With modern balls, the more you try to make them hook, the less they hook. Once you learn to just roll the ball and let it hook, you'll be amazed at how much more power you have.
    I saw a video of two guys learning to bowl correctly from the Kegel training center. The instructor told them to let the ball turn their hand through the swing. He told them to stay behind the ball as long as possible and the your hand will turn just enough to give your ball a good reaction. He showed some slow motion videos of pro bowlers and what their hand is doing at the bottom of the swing. Their fingers are at the bottom of the ball and their hand just turns slightly.

I know that in my case I try to stay behind the ball as long as possible and it sees like when I stay there and I get to the release area it does seem like my hand will turn on it's own without me thinking of it when the ball comes off my hand. Sometimes for some reason my brain will misfire and my hand will turn too early giving me a very nice pulled shot and less revs on the ball. So when I stay behind and under the ball with my fingers at the release and my hand turns just a little I get my best revs and the best ball reaction doing it this way. Being a lefty if I stand with my slide foot on board thirty 35 and roll my ball to like board ten it seems like my hand turn the ball more at the bottom of the swing without me thinking of it. Maybe unconsciously my brain fires to turn more because I am playing so deep.

So like the instructor at the training center said does the ball actually turn your hand automatically at the bottom of the swing or do you have to train yourself to do it and just enough to get a good ball reaction? Plus when you watch pro bowling the announcer will say that the bowler has to turn the ball more to get to the pocket because of the way the oil pattern is if he is playing deeper.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

High Roller

I have been recording my practice games for awhile now and notice what seems like a lot more revs and a much cleaner release when I'm shooting cross alley at 7 pins. I stand 32 and target 16 at the arrows and without trying it seems the ball just looks so much cleaner. I am using my T-Zone for those shots so maybe it does rev cleaner due to the slicker cover and I have never checked my RPM's with it
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I saw a video of two guys learning to bowl correctly from the Kegel training center. The instructor told them to let the ball turn their hand through the swing. He told them to stay behind the ball as long as possible and the your hand will turn just enough to give your ball a good reaction. He showed some slow motion videos of pro bowlers and what their hand is doing at the bottom of the swing. Their fingers are at the bottom of the ball and their hand just turns slightly.

I know that in my case I try to stay behind the ball as long as possible and it sees like when I stay there and I get to the release area it does seem like my hand will turn on it's own without me thinking of it when the ball comes off my hand. Sometimes for some reason my brain will misfire and my hand will turn too early giving me a very nice pulled shot and less revs on the ball. So when I stay behind and under the ball with my fingers at the release and my hand turns just a little I get my best revs and the best ball reaction doing it this way. Being a lefty if I stand with my slide foot on board thirty 35 and roll my ball to like board ten it seems like my hand turn the ball more at the bottom of the swing without me thinking of it. Maybe unconsciously my brain fires to turn more because I am playing so deep.

So like the instructor at the training center said does the ball actually turn your hand automatically at the bottom of the swing or do you have to train yourself to do it and just enough to get a good ball reaction? Plus when you watch pro bowling the announcer will say that the bowler has to turn the ball more to get to the pocket because of the way the oil pattern is if he is playing deeper.
    Rather than thinking about turning your hand, try thinking about where you feel the pressure on your fingers as you release. There are 3 options: feel the ring finger to stay more behind the ball - forward roll, feel the middle finger for more side turn, or feel equal pressure on both to get a reaction that's more in the middle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast