Thread: Tips for head to head competition?

Chats: 0

Default Tips for head to head competition?

My son is currently in Junior Gold. 3 sport patterns over 12 weeks 4 weeks each pattern. It's head to head, 1 point per game scratch no series point. 3 bowlers per lane going head to head with each other.

He's been holding his own doing okay. He was number one in the top four going into last week and now out of the last 6 games he only took 2 points dropping him down to number 3. It's a very difficult competition on unfamiliar conditions. In trying to figure out what to do to help I can only think of two 1/2 things he needs to change.

Number one, he's always in a hurry to get up and bowl the second the last bowler throws which is usually before his opponent. To me, the guy who goes second has the edge always knowing what he has to beat. Especially in the 10th.

It's only a tiny advantage but I think it's an advantage. The thinking is different when you go up first and think "Okay I have to do well in this 10th frame." Vs "Okay, I need 28 pins to win." Do you guys agree?

Number two, he has NO preshot ritual. He grabs his ball, places his feet, comes set and goes. He don't wipe his ball and just goes to damn fast.

2 1/2 - Because it's related to number two. On spares, he often grabs his spare ball on his way back from ball one, flips around, comes set and goes. Often times the sweep is still on its way up and he's already at the foul line. Low and behold he misses easy one pin spares and lately in the 10th frame no less.

Personally I think he needs that preshot ritual to slow him down. When he is getting set, take a deep breath, come set, exhale, then go. Rushing his shots is what's killing him. The wiggle room he's used to on THS and practice is not there on sport. All that he's doing by rushing is finishing first to mess up and he's handing points over.

Anyone have anything to add to what I've stated it any other suggestions when going head to head?

Ringer

I don't think about any of this. I have no pre-shot routine [I personally think they are pointless.] The league I bowl in is scratch, head-to-head.

I get up, get my ball, get set, and just throw the best shot I can. In the event it is mathematically impossible to win my game, then I still get up and throw the best shot I can to win points for the team (1 point if you win your match, 2 points if the team wins total for the game.)

Everyone is different. Don't force pre-shot routines on someone that doesn't want one just because you feel it is the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    I don't think about any of this. I have no pre-shot routine [I personally think they are pointless.] The league I bowl in is scratch, head-to-head.

I get up, get my ball, get set, and just throw the best shot I can. In the event it is mathematically impossible to win my game, then I still get up and throw the best shot I can to win points for the team (1 point if you win your match, 2 points if the team wins total for the game.)

Everyone is different. Don't force pre-shot routines on someone that doesn't want one just because you feel it is the best way.
    In my experience (I'm not saying I'm right) taking your time equals better focus. Taking a few extra seconds makes all the difference. I am by no means saying take a ridiculous amount of time prepping for each shot, standing like a statue on the approach.

Spend 10 seconds from when you grab your ball and just move at a steady pace. Bowling isn't a race. It takes a little thought and focus. No need to move like Benny Hill. I know if I just rush through a shot, more times than not, I'm going to miss. What did rushing gain? Zip. I've whiffed 5 pins thinking "ah just throw it, you'll get it no problem." Oops!

In watching the pros, I can't think of a single one that just grabs and goes. Unless of course they've already been mathematically eliminated and they are just finishing the game.

I'm not at all saying your wrong Ryster, it works for you and I respect your opinion. I am just stating my opinion based on my experience and what I see. This includes all the college and large tournaments we have. The top players all have some sort of ritual.
    I mean, what's the hurry?

Ringer

There have been plenty of times with the pros on TV where they take too long and mess up their rhythm, or go for the re-rack and get their normal routine all out of sorts.

I am not saying grab and go. I am just saying these routines where people have to take a specific number of dabs of the puff ball, wipe their ball 5 times, wipe the bottom of their shoe, move their wrist up and down 4 times, bounce their knees 3 times, adjust their sleeve 2 times, etc. can be a bit much. Everyone will establish their own routine they are comfortable with and works for them.

Once I get in my stance, I take 5-10 seconds to focus and go. But no wiping of the ball, bouncing up and down, wiping my shoe, or anything else. Put my hand in the ball, stand in my spot, take 5-10 seconds to focus on what I intend to do, and then do it. Trying to focus too much is just as bad as not focusing enough...there is a point of diminishing returns.

I have a pre shot routine which is automatic and believe in it whatever that may be. To be consistent you have to have a consistent pre shot routine. I also scrutinize each shot I just made like did I post the shot, where did I end up at the foul line, where was the ball at the arrows and at the markers down lane and finally how did the ball go through the pins. We have head to head and team matches and I just think about my shot. I do know where I stand as far as who I am bowling. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

High Roller

Everyone is different but I find it hard to believe that anyone is at their best when they are rushing it.

My pre-shot routine is...now don't laugh....lol. First thing is to tap my heel of each shoe to the toe of the other. Not for superstition or whatever but more of a feel to get my foot all the way back to the back of my shoe. Sure my shoes fit but just feels more comfortable. Then I hold my hand in front of the fan for about 5 seconds then put my fingers in the ball, then my thumb, then walk up. I thin look at the pins then follow my 'track' back to the arrows. Really nothing out of the ordinary other than the shoe thing. I also make sure to completely stop, take a deep breath then start my approach
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I would not worry about your son finishing his game before his opponent. Knowing what you have to get in the tenth is motivating for some players, sometimes it’s not. Say if I know I only need a spare and good count, I might relax too much and leave a washout.

It does sound like his penchant for rushing is costing him pins. Junior Gold patterns require you to have a good idea of where to throw the ball and some reflection on what the ball did after the frame. And spares on sports patterns, unless your normal spare shooting involves throwing straight, is different too. Anyone who just grabs the ball and goes without setting up will be lucky tp make 75% of their easy spares.
    John

I used to coach Junior Gold. Frankly, I quit because of the parents, not the kids. What you are describing with your son sounds like two thirds of the Junior Gold bowlers. Just let him be a kid!