Thread: Question for RobLV1 on bowling ball grip pressure......

Chats: 0

Default Question for RobLV1 on bowling ball grip pressure......

Actually anyone that is a league bowler can chime in on this. What is a correct grip pressure for holding a bowling ball when bowling? I know you are not supposed to hold it so tight like you are afraid to let it go or so tight that all of your arm muscles are stiff as a board. Now there are many ways on how firm you hold a ball. You can hold it with a firm grip but not too firm or lightly but not too light. Plus you can hold it more firm with the fingers outside the ball or the ones inside the ball or the same pressure with all of the fingers and the thumb.

So I know there can be all kinds of answers to this that each person that bowls league will have. High average bowlers will have different opinions then people with low averages. Is there a standard for grip pressure or a correct way to grip a bowling ball so you get the best reaction out of the ball you are using? Different opinions from people here are welcome. Just something I have been thinking about lately.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Unfortunately grip pressure is a totally personal preference, and it is largely dependent on the kind of release you have. If you actively turn the ball to get it to hook, you probably like more grip pressure so that you feel secure in your ability to get the ball to hook. Personally, I like my thumb hole to be as loose as possible to allow the ball to fall off of my thumb so that I can roll it with my fingers. The biggest problem that I had when we were bowling under the mask mandate was that I couldn't blow into the thumb hole as I stepped onto the approach. Now that I can do that again, I like my thumb hole even looser, and the added humidity from my breath gives me just the right feel; loose but secure.

I tend to use reverse pitch to be sure my thumb comes right out. I grab just a tiny bit with the base of my thumb on the backswing, but keep my thumbnail against the back of the hole.

Most of my ‘grip’ is in the fingertips/index finger and cupping my wrist. I’ve found that I’m able to keep the ball on my hand just by cupping at the top of the backswing when the ball is weightless, then making a yo-yo drop motion at the bottom.

Chats: 0

I was always taught to hold it like you're holding a baby bird in your hand. Not so loose it escapes but not so tight that you squish it to death.

Needless to say I would probably kill a lot of baby bird.

Chats: 55

I use to like my thumb really loose and hated using tape due to the warm weather. Most of my coaches always wanted me to tighten it up, but I would panic.

Then my elbow tendonitis got so bad I had to have surgery. After the surgery, due to me having to grip the ball, bowling was really starting to be painful, even with the surgery.

Got one of my coaches to help me figure out how to overcome the panic of a tight thumb and my bowling improved and the best part....No More Elbow Pain.

I still find myself gripping the ball on occasion and then I know I need a smaller IT thumb or some tape.

But that's me. Understand all bowlers are different.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Like RobLV1 said it is personal preference. I use to use 1/4" reverse and 1/8" under for most my life but the last couple of years went to 0/0 on my thumb and also shortened my span 1/4" and I have a much better feel/grip with the ball. You just have to work with your PSO to find out what works for you. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by SRB57 View Post
    Like RobLV1 said it is personal preference. I use to use 1/4" reverse and 1/8" under for most my life but the last couple of years went to 0/0 on my thumb and also shortened my span 1/4" and I have a much better feel/grip with the ball. You just have to work with your PSO to find out what works for you. Steve
    This brings up the point that even though we are adults, our bodies continue to change. The recommendation when I took the USBC Silver level coaching workshop was that adults should have their grip checked every two years.
    John