Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Women's Nationals...

Ringer
    Chats: 0

That is correct. 7 PWBA broadcasts on CBS Sports Network, 4 on BowlTV.

How We Roll [the Smallwood inspired show] is kind of an embarrassment. I DVR the episodes and then watch them when I have a few minutes so I can fast forward through commercials. Haven't watched last week's yet. It just isn't very funny overall. The guy playing Tom just has a very odd delivery of punchlines. The funniest thing they have done so far was the running joke about baby carrots a couple of episodes ago. That was very Seinfeld-esque and actually funny. Says a lot when a show inspired by a professional bowler has one of their funniest moments from a joke about baby carrots. The actual bowling related content is just so cringe.

Unless they do everything like a real bowler expects it's going to be cringe. For the casual bowler it may be enough to get them more interested.

No matter what the show is, if it's a cop show (not reality tv) a cop is going to watch it and say "That's fake, that would never happen." A doctor's show "You can't use that medicine or that dose to cure that." It's just gotta be believable enough to the lament.

We've all been around bowling for eons so our expectations for realism are way higher, too high. So barring him bowling in an actual environment in an actual match and everything being real as we know it, we are going to be disappointed and nitpick it to death.

Mind you, I haven't watched it yet. If I do I'll have to go into it without expectations and try to enjoy it for what it is. I deal with people regarding Star Trek all the time. People constantly rant how technically"this is impossible" and "that's not cannon with the story" Blah blah blah, shut up and either enjoy it for the entertainment and escape from reality that it is or don't watch. LOL
    As far as Smallwood goes, it's a sitcom not a bowling documentary or instructional video. Try to enjoy it for what it is. If it sucks and you can't enjoy it then move on. Hopefully it will help bowling more than hurt it.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Unless they do everything like a real bowler expects it's going to be cringe. For the casual bowler it may be enough to get them more interested.

No matter what the show is, if it's a cop show (not reality tv) a cop is going to watch it and say "That's fake, that would never happen." A doctor's show "You can't use that medicine or that dose to cure that." It's just gotta be believable enough to the lament.

We've all been around bowling for eons so our expectations for realism are way higher, too high. So barring him bowling in an actual environment in an actual match and everything being real as we know it, we are going to be disappointed and nitpick it to death.

Mind you, I haven't watched it yet. If I do I'll have to go into it without expectations and try to enjoy it for what it is. I deal with people regarding Star Trek all the time. People constantly rant how technically"this is impossible" and "that's not cannon with the story" Blah blah blah, shut up and either enjoy it for the entertainment and escape from reality that it is or don't watch. LOL
    As far as Smallwood goes, it's a sitcom not a bowling documentary or instructional video. Try to enjoy it for what it is. If it sucks and you can't enjoy it then move on. Hopefully it will help bowling more than hurt it.
    Considering they had Robert Smith as a consultant for the show, I expected a little better from a bowling content perspective.

They are leaning heavily on the "inspired by" aspect of the show. The characters have the same names, and the base story (laid off autoworker becomes pro bowler) is the same, however that is about it. Heck, the star of the show and Tom Smallwood didn't actually meet each other until just a few weeks ago...and they met virtually LOL. So the guy playing Tom portrayed him without ever having met him. That's show business, I suppose.

I get that it is a sitcom, and I expect a sitcom to be funny. This show has very few laughs. I am still watching it in an attempt to support any kind of bowling related content, as I feel that is the most important thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12