Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: PBA Members

  1. #11
    High Roller Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,826
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Actually there is a young guy who came in a few months ago saying he was a PBA card holder. He showed me his card and asked if we give PBA discounts. No of course we don't. He acted arrogant and entitled. Apparently he was angry we didn't bow down roll out the red carpet. He wanted a pair of lanes by himself and requested nobody within 2 pairs of him on either side. Needles to say, he got none of that. LOL He was an unknown young kid but he acted like he was Walter Ray.

    I watched him bowl and I can't say it was at all impressive. He wasn't particularly good. We have more impressive league bowlers than him. He had one 250's game and the others were all under 200. His form wasn't great and her threw a helicopter ball. Nothing about him screamed pro to anyone. I'm not sure he'd make it to qualify on Jr Gold.

    My guess is either the card was fake, it was his uncle's or he had connections he didn't deserve to have. He's been in several times since and never did anything stellar. He's never mentioned being a pro since the first time. I'd bet my son or I could whoop him to be honest. As well as a plethora of other casual bowlers at my center.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    The guy that drilled my Altered Reality is a PBA member. He complained that he can't enter any tournaments now cause he loses his handicap being a PBA member and his average isn't high enough to compete in handicap events and too low to bowl scratch events. We have a few PBA members that bowl in tournaments at our house. Not touring pros, just card holders with about 230 averages. For me, well my average is too low anyway but I think I would want to be at least 225-230 average before I joined. Unless I misunderstood the guy?

    Thank you boatman for your input. I do not understand why your PSO would say that as there is no handicap on the PBA. That is why I myself like the PBA as you only get what you earn, you do not get free pins like you do in handicap league..etc. I wish I could find a scratch league.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I agree that probably no one knows how many PBA members are also on this forum. All I know is that I am not a PBA member. My friend Jeff earned his PBA card the hard way back in the early 90s by cashing in two PBA regionals in one season. When he lived in the Chicago area he used to bowl a lot of regionals and just about broke even. Another friend got his card between 15 and 20 years ago, but I'm sure he never attempted a PBA regional.

    I keep thinking that I would like to try a PBA regional. I have no delusion that I could win one, and the entry fee for non members seems rather high. so I keep putting it off.
    Thank you Mr Anderson, I appreciate you as I do remember you from being here long ago, and you seem to be a very stand up guy who knows his stuff. I have read the tips you have given others in the past, and I think it is awesome that you help others the way you do. I do not have any delusions either about the PBA, yet I do enjoy it so i can learn more. I do try to stay positive even though it is not always easy due to people being so negative be it here in a forum, or in a bowling center. I do have much respect for you sir. I truly do not understand those who are here who come off as very negative. It seems to me as though some here just want to start a fuss with anyone who comes here that they think is new.

    Maybe I am wrong, but the negative comments here are harsh in my opinion...not from you J Anderson as you seem to be very kind and it is appreciated very much!!
    Thank you J Anderson for all you do to help others.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Im at a 170, and have no business anywhere near a PBA event. But Id love to try it.

    I just need a couple nights away from the kids every week. Trying to get gud.
    Nothing wrong at all with that GrumpyCatFace. I think you would enjoy it if you ever do give it a try. I also need a couple nights away each week just to get out of the house...lol
    Thank you sir for your input, I do appreciate it.

    I wish you the best in your bowling adventure's
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

  5. #15
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,400
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Thank you boatman for your input. I do not understand why your PSO would say that as there is no handicap on the PBA. That is why I myself like the PBA as you only get what you earn, you do not get free pins like you do in handicap league..etc. I wish I could find a scratch league.
    I had asked him if he would be bowling a tournament I was entering and he said 'he can't' because he was a PBA card holder. Not that he wasn't allowed to enter but that he would get no handicap because of his PBA card and he wasn't good enough to win it scratch
    Arsenal "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Radical Squatch Pearl 75x5.5x30" "15# Radical Conspiracy-55x4.625x35" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 279 - High Series: 725. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

  6. #16
    Bowling Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,362
    Chats: 13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Thank you Mr Anderson, I appreciate you as I do remember you from being here long ago, and you seem to be a very stand up guy who knows his stuff. I have read the tips you have given others in the past, and I think it is awesome that you help others the way you do. I do not have any delusions either about the PBA, yet I do enjoy it so i can learn more. I do try to stay positive even though it is not always easy due to people being so negative be it here in a forum, or in a bowling center. I do have much respect for you sir. I truly do not understand those who are here who come off as very negative. It seems to me as though some here just want to start a fuss with anyone who comes here that they think is new.

    Maybe I am wrong, but the negative comments here are harsh in my opinion...not from you J Anderson as you seem to be very kind and it is appreciated very much!!
    Thank you J Anderson for all you do to help others.
    I'm actually going to play hooky from coaching at the local youth bowling league tomorrow and will be bowling in a New England Bowlers Association tournament in Rhode Island. I'll probably see quite a few current and former PBA members. Rumor has it that John Gant now lives somewhere near Boston and has been bowling NEBA events.
    John

  7. #17
    High Roller Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,826
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    I truly do not understand those who are here who come off as very negative. It seems to me as though some here just want to start a fuss with anyone who comes here that they think is new.

    Maybe I am wrong, but the negative comments here are harsh in my opinion.
    I assume I am one of the negative comments you're speaking of. I assure you they weren't directed at you Trex. In speaking about the PBA kid, he was really a jerk when he came in to our center. He has an attitude from the first word that came out of his mouth. He acted like we owed him something for having a card.

    Then when he bowled he certainly didn't walk the walk. It's one thing to act entitled then dazzle with skills. He did not dazzle anyone. He was shouting profanities while bowling, in practice? He even hit the sweep twice? There is no way that he was a pro and if on the odd chance he was he didn't deserve the prestige and distinction of being one. He was very rude and off putting to not only myself but my employees and the customers.

    Anyone who acts like that, making demands vs requests is not getting any special treatment. If he was friendly? I would have maybe done some magic to accommodate him. We probably would have chatted him up, got background and been very hospitable.

    Hitting the sweep was a tell tale sign he was full of it. What pro EVER hits a sweep? LOL Let alone twice? No, it wasn't a lane malfunction it was a player malfunction. Shouting f'bombs also isn't a sign of a pro. Yeah they slip now and again but these weren't slips.

    I call them like I see them and this guy was a disgrace to the sport if he was truly a pro. Yeah I have my own particular flavor of sarcasm that you're not used to Trex but I never try to offend anyone. I apologize of you took it that way. I also knew you weren't new. I've read many threads with you in them. Welcome back!

  8. #18

    Default

    Thank you Phonetek for the explanation, and for the Welcome.. very much appreciated!!! I would have done the same as you in that case with that guy. Sounds like he was no pro in any form or fashion.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

  9. #19

    Default

    I was a PBA member for about 10 years, though, to be honest, I was never competitive at that level. Despite that, I would not trade the experiences that I had as a member for anything. I bowled in several Senior US Opens, a Senior Masters, several regular tour events back when they had Monday qualifying, and several Regional Events. It was great experience. At the Senior US Opens I crossed with Mark Roth, Mark Williams, and Ernie Schlegel among others. At the Senior Masters I shot 136 for the first game, tied with Parker Bohn. When I bowled a game with him on day three I introduced myself as the guy who was tied with him for last place after game one. I told him that being tied with him made being last a much easier pill to swallow. He then thanked me for having a last name that was further down the alphabet than his own, saving him the embarrassment of seeing his name at the bottom of the list! LOL

  10. #20
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,400
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I was a PBA member for about 10 years, though, to be honest, I was never competitive at that level. Despite that, I would not trade the experiences that I had as a member for anything. I bowled in several Senior US Opens, a Senior Masters, several regular tour events back when they had Monday qualifying, and several Regional Events. It was great experience. At the Senior US Opens I crossed with Mark Roth, Mark Williams, and Ernie Schlegel among others. At the Senior Masters I shot 136 for the first game, tied with Parker Bohn. When I bowled a game with him on day three I introduced myself as the guy who was tied with him for last place after game one. I told him that being tied with him made being last a much easier pill to swallow. He then thanked me for having a last name that was further down the alphabet than his own, saving him the embarrassment of seeing his name at the bottom of the list! LOL
    Speaking of being in last...the last tournament I bowled was in January and on a 1.75 sport shot (2008 WTBA World Mens Championship 1843). Me and a buddy went. He is probably in his 70's and throws about 12 MPH and averages about 180 but used to be a very good bowler (I still consider him very good for his age and speed). But after the first round I was in last and he was next to last. This was my 3rd sport shot tournament and 1st time I didn't cash out. He cashed out at the one prior to this but for some reason we both struggled mightily at this one
    Arsenal "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Radical Squatch Pearl 75x5.5x30" "15# Radical Conspiracy-55x4.625x35" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 279 - High Series: 725. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •