Thread: Death of a bowler

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default Death of a bowler

Father in law passed away Sunday morning around 8:30 - peacefully in his sleep. He'd been fighting aplastic anemia for several years and then caught pneumonia and had to be intubated. when they pulled the tube, he basically said, "screw this - no more tubes, no more needles. We're done" so we let him go.

He was a longstanding bowler, carrying a 170+ average up until his blood-count dropped his energy level to where he just couldn't do it, up to age 88. I hope that I can carry 170 with the occasional 200+ when I'm 88. Heck, I hope I make it to 88 without wandering around mumbling "brains" at 88 . . .

He has a 299 ring from 1981, which is when I started bowling as a freshman in HS up in Port Angeles, WA. I'll be getting that re-sized so I can wear it as tribute to him. We also have the 5-pin he left (he was good friends with the owner who was able to stop the equipment and run down to get the pin) which has been in our living room and since we've moved, it will get prominent display on our main display wall.

He had a friend that had gotten a brand new ball. He was soooo proud of that ball, so Ron bought the same ball and had it drilled with about 20 holes. . . then swapped them without his friend noticing. Oh so many more jokes that he played.

Roll a ball for Ron. Bowler to the end. Practical joker and good natured smack talker to all. He was missed last night. He will be missed.

My condolences to you and yours. For what it's worth, it's raining here right now with thunder rumbling. When I was a child scared of storms my mom told me the thunder was angels bowling. Of course storms no longer scare me as an adult but it may just be him rolling a few?

High Roller

Sorry to hear that. But I bet he has already rolled a 300 upstairs!

My best friends dad died in 1994 at 43 and had a 299 ring that my friend ended up with. He wore it to our league a few times.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

My condolences as well.

Sounds like you had a great relationship with your father in law. My wife and I were lucky that not only did we get along with our in-laws, my parents got along with her parents.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I am so sorry for your loss, my condolences during this sorrowful time.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Very sorry for your loss, Condolences to you and your family.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums