Thread: hook front to back not left to right?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default hook front to back not left to right?

Mainly for @RobLV1 but others welcome to chime in.

I targeted Rob cause he was the first I remember hearing mention this. He had said forget about where it hooks left to right but where does it hook front to back. That made some sense but didn't really 100% understand it but lately I have been using different style balls and working more in the oil so starting to see it.
    Before I would try my best to target the 7-ish board straight up so pretty much had to use shiny pearls. Dull and/or stronger balls would typically hook too soon and go through the nose. Since my wife bought me the Altered Reality and now I won the Helios even thought the AR is pearl it is much stronger and usually can't throw it outside the 2nd arrow.
    Anyway, when you said 'hook front to back' are you referring to where it enters the roll phase? With what I have been doing I never really notice it entering the roll phase for whatever reason but being deeper in the oil I am starting to see when it starts rolling and I think a light went off...lol.
    So am I thinking about this right now? When you said it before I was thinking where it started to hook off the breakpoint but since my ball never arc'ed out it was more difficult to see the breakpoint since the farthest out it went was a line about 20' long. Now that I'm arcing it out more I have that more defined breakpoint.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

A bowling ball goes through four phases for maximum power: skid, hook, hook-out, and roll. The forward momentum of the ball is generated by the approach and arm swing of the bowler. At the same time that the ball is skidding forward through the oil, it is rotating laterally based on the bowlers release. At the point where the ball starts encountering friction, it slows slightly allowing the lateral energy of the release rotation to become equal to the forward energy of the skid. At this point the ball begins to hook. When the hook is complete, the ball "stands up" and begins to roll forward toward the pins. This is the point of maximum power and should occur just before the ball enters the pins.

The problem is that once this process starts, it cannot be stopped. If the ball hooks too early, it stops hooking too early, it rolls to early, and rolls-out to lose energy before it gets to the pins. The result are those pesky corner pins that refuse to fall.

The idea of seeing the lanes from front to back rather than side to side is based on the FACT that there are dry parts of the lane past the length of the pattern as well as outside of the pattern. It is the bowlers job to make sure that he/she is using the oil properly to delay the hook phase long enough to allow the ball to enter the pins with maximum energy. Since many bowlers equate the amount of hook with the amount of power, the tendency is to get the ball into the dry outside of the pattern too soon to see the ball hook more. They often use balls that are too strong (early rolling) and get them into the outside friction way too soon so that they can see them hook more. How much hook does not matter. When the ball rolls does!

Understand?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    A bowling ball goes through four phases for maximum power: skid, hook, hook-out, and roll. The forward momentum of the ball is generated by the approach and arm swing of the bowler. At the same time that the ball is skidding forward through the oil, it is rotating laterally based on the bowlers release. At the point where the ball starts encountering friction, it slows slightly allowing the lateral energy of the release rotation to become equal to the forward energy of the skid. At this point the ball begins to hook. When the hook is complete, the ball "stands up" and begins to roll forward toward the pins. This is the point of maximum power and should occur just before the ball enters the pins.

The problem is that once this process starts, it cannot be stopped. If the ball hooks too early, it stops hooking too early, it rolls to early, and rolls-out to lose energy before it gets to the pins. The result are those pesky corner pins that refuse to fall.

The idea of seeing the lanes from front to back rather than side to side is based on the FACT that there are dry parts of the lane past the length of the pattern as well as outside of the pattern. It is the bowlers job to make sure that he/she is using the oil properly to delay the hook phase long enough to allow the ball to enter the pins with maximum energy. Since many bowlers equate the amount of hook with the amount of power, the tendency is to get the ball into the dry outside of the pattern too soon to see the ball hook more. They often use balls that are too strong (early rolling) and get them into the outside friction way too soon so that they can see them hook more. How much hook does not matter. When the ball rolls does!

Understand?
    Makes sense. I'm a visual learner so it will help when I start identifying it in my shots. I see it on TV and sometimes when watching others but don't notice it too often with my own shots yet.
    But I did the same thing when I returned from my 16 year break. I told my PSO I didn't have a big hook so needed the strongest dullest ball he had. Fast forward a few years and I went to the other extreme. Went with shiny pearls with lots of speed so got great pin action (mainly due to speed) but threw out in the dry to get that big hockey stick motion. But I think in doing this my ball never got into the roll phase. But now using a more medium level ball deeper in the oil I'm starting to see it. Kinda like the Goldilocks...too strong to too weak and now trying that 'just right'....lol.
    I think what got me way outside was my accuracy. I struggled to hit my target if it was inside the 8 or 9 board so just stayed out where I could hit consistently but with lots of practice this year I'm starting to see better accuracy with different targets
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!