Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PBA lane differences: 5/8/22

Chats: 55

What would be the answer to shooting on that pair of lanes?

I see the finals will be on the same lanes (9-10). Could prove to be an interesting match.

Also, what does "race to three points" format really mean? If one bowler wins the first two matches, it's over? If so, what happens to the other hour of airtime? I absolutely can't listen to RP fill an hour.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Yes, if one bowler wins the first two matches, it's done. They win.

but since the tie-breaker isn't a whole hour long, there won't be that much time for Peterson to fill, LOL

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Yes, if one bowler wins the first two matches, it's done. They win.

but since the tie-breaker isn't a whole hour long, there won't be that much time for Peterson to fill, LOL
    But that was for the semi-finals-two points. The finals indicate a "race to three points" format. Just curious to the difference.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

I have the fortune of watching the final before commenting on this, but Norm is also commentating on the final and he had a few gems that Randy did a very poor job of bringing light to. The first was directly related to this feed, Norm specifically calls out the topography difference between the lanes - stating that one lane has always played tighter than the other in his experience (although he doesn't specifically say topography). This comment was very easy to miss because it just is made and then is left to a quick death. Secondly, Norm was talking about additional hold due to playing a deeper inside line (believe this was soon after the Tommy Jones ball change) and Randy immediately goes to his favorite topic that it is the cause of urethane; Norm tries to get into the pattern - and presumably the higher ratio of oil in the middle of the lane that can create a little more hold as compared to being more straight up the boards - but Randy can't get away from the urethane topic and it seems as though Norm just seems to give up.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    I have the fortune of watching the final before commenting on this, but Norm is also commentating on the final and he had a few gems that Randy did a very poor job of bringing light to. The first was directly related to this feed, Norm specifically calls out the topography difference between the lanes - stating that one lane has always played tighter than the other in his experience (although he doesn't specifically say topography). This comment was very easy to miss because it just is made and then is left to a quick death. Secondly, Norm was talking about additional hold due to playing a deeper inside line (believe this was soon after the Tommy Jones ball change) and Randy immediately goes to his favorite topic that it is the cause of urethane; Norm tries to get into the pattern - and presumably the higher ratio of oil in the middle of the lane that can create a little more hold as compared to being more straight up the boards - but Randy can't get away from the urethane topic and it seems as though Norm just seems to give up.
    I think Norm's point was that by playing more to the inside Troup could miss left and still have some hold, where if Jones missed left he would cross Troup's line and get a bad reaction. Otherwise I absolutely agree about RP.
    John

IMHO RP is a detriment to bowling today. He never mentions topography because his mind is stuck back in the 80's where everything was about friction. Gravity is, by far, the strongest force in the universe, at yet Randy thinks that everything is about oil and friction. I must also say that it was a pleasure watching the PWBA on Sunday afternoon when Liz Kuhlkin left a solid eight pin and we didn't have to hear 15 minutes of whining about what happened to RP 35 years ago! Just my 2 cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12