Thread: Bad fit or just bad technique?

Default Bad fit or just bad technique?

Hi there, so I've been having this discoloration on my thumb for awhile now. I also have a touch of a callus on my ring finger too (with a little discoloration as well.)

Just wondering as to why this is here. Is the fit of the ball to blame to any extent? Or is it just from bad release? Obviously, my release is still a work in progress as you can see here. Still working on staying behind it and not gripping the life out of it.

However, few years ago when I was much worse than I am now, I don't recall having this. So it just leads to me to wonder, could the actual ball fit be a red flag at all? I really have no idea, as I think it's fair to just blame it on grip and pull.

Tried to attach a picture, but the file manager thing isn't working. On the thumb there's basically a stripe of discoloration going across it, somewhat resembling a callus. Also have a callus on the side of my thumb where it touches the bottom of the thumbhole, which I know is from too much turn.

Thanks for any advice.

Red flag warning: You don't "turn" modern bowling balls! You simply go from your starting position to your finishing position and roll the ball. Modern balls have dynamic cores that let the balls hook by themselves. The ironic thing is that the more you try to turn the ball, the less it is going to hook. Let it hook, don't make it hook.

If you are able to do this and are still getting discoloration and calluses, then have your fit checked by someone other than the person who drilled your ball.