Thread: Straight means straight

Chats: 0

Default Straight means straight

Never having an actual spare ball before and finally getting one is a learning experience to say the least. I have the "X Out Breast Cancer" spare ball. The really cool transparent one with the pink cube inside. Kyle Troup and Liz Johnson both use them on TV.

I finally got mine and recently had it drilled. It hooks like a total of 3" at best. I got spoiled using that old school polished black hammer which gives me that little bit of hook, just enough to either cause me to miss but usually enough to save me. This ball is like throwing an ice cube down the lane.

I absolutely love the ball, it is certainly the coolest looking ball I've ever seen. I really need to adjust my game now because straight at spares REALLY means straight at them. It doesn't matter how many revs you put on it, ZING! It goes straight. It's very nostalgic and old school the way it reacts, like the 80's way of shooting spares. I got spoiled by the newer ball tech withy that extra miss room. I accept the challenge. It will probably make me a better spare shooter once I get used to it. In the meantime my average will drop. LOL

I probably won't try it again on sport shot though. It's tight enough as it is using it on THS. When I get more exact maybe I'll try it on sport again.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Never having an actual spare ball before and finally getting one is a learning experience to say the least. I have the "X Out Breast Cancer" spare ball. The really cool transparent one with the pink cube inside. Kyle Troup and Liz Johnson both use them on TV.

I finally got mine and recently had it drilled. It hooks like a total of 3" at best. I got spoiled using that old school polished black hammer which gives me that little bit of hook, just enough to either cause me to miss but usually enough to save me. This ball is like throwing an ice cube down the lane.

I absolutely love the ball, it is certainly the coolest looking ball I've ever seen. I really need to adjust my game now because straight at spares REALLY means straight at them. It doesn't matter how many revs you put on it, ZING! It goes straight. It's very nostalgic and old school the way it reacts, like the 80's way of shooting spares. I got spoiled by the newer ball tech withy that extra miss room. I accept the challenge. It will probably make me a better spare shooter once I get used to it. In the meantime my average will drop. LOL

I probably won't try it again on sport shot though. It's tight enough as it is using it on THS. When I get more exact maybe I'll try it on sport again.
    I think the mistake many people make is that they think they only have to throw a straight ball at spares on a sport shot, and they can keep using their old spare system on the house shot. Well throwing straight will work on any pattern. If you only go straight on sport patterns you don’t get enough practice in for the shot to become automatic.
    John

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I think the mistake many people make is that they think they only have to throw a straight ball at spares on a sport shot, and they can keep using their old spare system on the house shot. Well throwing straight will work on any pattern. If you only go straight on sport patterns you don’t get enough practice in for the shot to become automatic.
    A guy on my team gives me a hard time for throwing plastic at 6 and 10 pins. He asked why and I told him because of sport shot tournaments. He said 'this isn't sport shot'...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

The thing that many league bowlers fail to realize is that on a house shot, because of the extreme wets and drys, even with a plastic ball, you still have to learn to throw it straight. To do this, learn to lead with your ring finger and feel like you are throwing a back up ball. When you are throwing it correctly, you should hear it thump as it goes down the lane as it rolls over the thumb hole. Once you learn how to do this, you will find that your plastic spare ball will be your best friend on any condition.