Thread: Amateur Coaching, or something therein...

Chats: 55

Default Amateur Coaching, or something therein...

I have a pro coach I work with on occasion, but haven't been able to hook up since the end of Covid, yet we plan on getting together as soon as schedules allow.

I've also worked with a more than a few pro coaches over the last 40 years (less my bowling hiatus), so I'm not foreign to the process.

So my question relates to the tracking of the ball and what would be deemed, staying under the ball, or being on top of the ball. Here's my scenario. And remember, I will work with my coach on this but just want some additional input in the meantime.

My track is very close to the thumb hole. A teammate (higher average bowler-female) was telling me that I was on top of the ball. Another bowler overheard the conversation and pulled me aside and said I was not on top of the ball, that I just don't have a lot of wrist in the ball (higher average bowler-male).

I never recall any of my coaches indicating a true issue of topping the ball, or spinning the ball. And in fact, most of my coaches are very impressed with my swing.

So what say all of you? Tracking a ball is due to not being under the ball enough on release, or just is the wrist position when released?
    Last edited by classygranny; 11-03-2022 at 05:59 AM.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Where the track is on the ball is due to axis tilt. Very close to the thumb hole just means that you have very little axis tilt. I don’t think this is cause by topping the ball.
    John

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Where the track is on the ball is due to axis tilt. Very close to the thumb hole just means that you have very little axis tilt. I don’t think this is cause by topping the ball.
    ^ This
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 55

What actually creates more or less axis tilt? I knew that is what it was, but just can't get my head around the creation part.

And thanks for confirming what I thought! x 2!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

When I took my coaching seminars with Ron Hatfield, he didn't really go into how to change someones axis tilt. a quick look in my Bronze manual indicated that the tilt is caused by the sideways angle of the hand to the forearm.
    John